change to Privee?

sammyboots

I am a little confused...has Privee changed from a $1000 per table a night degustation menu to a $250 per table evening venue with menus from Polo grill or toscana? I am reading two completely different reports about it and am also aware of La reserve at $95pp so not confusing one with the other. Can anyone clarify further? :confused:

Sammyboots,

I have no idea. But that doesn't sound at all reasonable to me!

Privee was a very elite venue. Why would they switch to menus from Polo or Toscana? And why would they charge you $250 for meals that are at no cost to begin with?

Are you talking about Marina/Riviera? Remember that La Reserve and Privee are NOT available on the "R" ships. The only specialty restaurants available on the "R" ships (last I heard!) are Polo and Toscana, and they certainly do not cost $250!

We dined at La Reserve on Marina last October and it was wonderful. Well worth the money ($75pp back then).

We won't be on Marina/Riviera in the near future so I suggest you re-read whatever information you got. It doesn't make sense to me.

Mura

Sammyboots,

I have no idea. But that doesn't sound at all reasonable to me!

Privee was a very elite venue. Why would they switch to menus from Polo or Toscana? And why would they charge you $250 for meals that are at no cost to begin with?

Are you talking about Marina/Riviera? Remember that La Reserve and Privee are NOT available on the "R" ships. The only specialty restaurants available on the "R" ships (last I heard!) are Polo and Toscana, and they certainly do not cost $250!

We dined at La Reserve on Marina last October and it was wonderful. Well worth the money ($75pp back then).

We won't be on Marina/Riviera in the near future so I suggest you re-read whatever information you got. It doesn't make sense to me.

Mura

Mura, this is from the website

Guests will be able to enjoy a menu selected from Polo Grill, Toscana or a combination of both. Each guest can select their own menu. Within the sanctum of Privée, dining engages all the senses, leaving you and your guests immensely fulfilled. This dining extravaganza can be reserved for $250 per evening for a party of up to 8 guests.

I'm just trying to understand when it changed? I also have previous literature that states it's $1000 for a degustation menu.

Wow. This is news to me!

I'm guessing that not enough people paid for Privee at the exalted rate and so they are looking for something else. (Assuming what you saw is correct, but why should we disbelieve it?)

I see NO benefit for paying $250 for a group of 8 when you can go to Toscana or Polo free of charge!

I'm just scratching my head.

Makes no sense at all.

Jim & Stan, enlighten us!

Mura

Wow. This is news to me!

I'm guessing that not enough people paid for Privee at the exalted rate and so they are looking for something else. (Assuming what you saw is correct, but why should we disbelieve it?)

I see NO benefit for paying $250 for a group of 8 when you can go to Toscana or Polo free of charge!

I'm just scratching my head.

Makes no sense at all.

Jim & Stan, enlighten us!

Mura

Likewise! Can't find any information informing us of a change either. :confused:

Although...just this minute noticed that the 2012 brochures say seven course degustation menu and 2013, Polo Grill or Toscana menu choices...

I am still scratching my head because I cannot see why we should want to pay $250 (even if that is for 8 people) to order food that we can get in the restaurants themselves!

And if you are in an elite suite on Marina/Riviera you can order from the restaurants and serve your friends in your suite ...

It makes no sense to me at all.

(I certainly can understand why Privee at $1000 per dinner didn't fly. But I don't understand why this is a solution anyone would be interested in.)

Mura

I am still scratching my head because I cannot see why we should want to pay $250 (even if that is for 8 people) to order food that we can get in the restaurants themselves!

And if you are in an elite suite on Marina/Riviera you can order from the restaurants and serve your friends in your suite ...

It makes no sense to me at all.

(I certainly can understand why Privee at $1000 per dinner didn't fly. But I don't understand why this is a solution anyone would be interested in.)

Mura

I agree Mura

Unless you want a private party I would just get a table for 8 in one of the restaurants

Maybe that will change also in the future

Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head>

If you do not have a large suite, (certainly not room for 4 couples to dine in a PH)

This is an opportunity for friends or family sharing a cruise to enjoy a wonderful private meal.

Just think. . . . . your schedule, your menu, your private waiters, served at your pace. $250 Doesn't sound like an unreasonable price at all to me!

You can blend your favorite appetizer from one specialty, soup from another and main-course, dessert from another. . . . .whatever you decide.

Sounds like a fun idea for a group returning either early of late from a private excursion who would all like to share a meal together.

Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head>

If you do not have a large suite, (certainly not room for 4 couples to dine in a PH)

This is an opportunity for friends or family sharing a cruise to enjoy a wonderful private meal.

Just think. . . . . your schedule, your menu, your private waiters, served at your pace. $250 Doesn't sound like an unreasonable price at all to me!

You can blend your favorite appetizer from one specialty, soup from another and main-course, dessert from another. . . . .whatever you decide.

Sounds like a fun idea for a group returning either early of late from a private excursion who would all like to share a meal together.

We just returned 16 Feb from Marina, and the above description is correct. The price is $250 for dinner in a fantastic private dining room. I talked to one gent who had a dinner there for he and his friends, and he said that the Oceania corporate chef who was aboard for that voyage , particpated in their dinner (don't know details) and that the event was wonderful.

I have heard rumors that the initial program ($1000) could not be sustained because of the drain of key pesonnel (chefs/sommeliers/head waiters etc) for a small group when their expertise was needed in other venues.

We sailed on the maiden voyage and I believe Jim and Stan had a great dinner there ( I heard about it but, (sob), was not invited).

We sailed on the maiden voyage and I believe Jim and Stan had a great dinner there ( I heard about it but, (sob), was not invited).

Don't feel too "left out", Walt, because that dinner in Privée was on the Marina's second cruise.

162323.jpg

That night celebrated a special Occasion for us, and because of Cruise Critic we had more than enough friends traveling with us to make a private party warranted. Some of them are undoubtedly reading this, now.

Yes, the chef suggested menu was outrageously "over the top", and several of the ladies in our party found it "too much", but WE felt as if we were guest starring on an episode of Dynasty that took place on Blake Carrington's yacht.

195608.jpg195645.jpg

We priced catering that party in Miami, because if we HAD sailed on the Marina maiden voyage, that is where we would have been. We could not find anything comparable for under $3000.

Now, at the $250 level, we've booked Privée again, for the second night of the Riviera's maiden voyage which coincides with her initial sail away from Venice.

052620.jpg We have no personal milestone to mark, this time, however:

Watching the Adriatic at dusk, in the company of good friends, from that gorgeous little penthouse of a dining room at the very top of the ship....

If THAT isn't a special occasion, I don't know what is!

Archived