Magic back in port, interesting cruise!

doneinne

We had a ton of fun. We also had some excitement. Someone was taken away by ambulance in Jamaica. The main hot water pipe broke. Last night someone jumped over board and was rescued from the sea. Yesterday was a rough and bumpy ride. The waves were bad. More to come later.

Rumor is that the man over board was a crew member that had been on ship for six months and wanted to go home. The only way he thought was to show he had mental issues. He was wearing a life jacket. They spotted the flashing emergency beacon.

The night before Jamaica there was an emergency medical call at about 1:30 a.m. That day as we were getting ready to leave Jamaica, an ambulance pulled up with lights and siren. I didn't see when they put the patient on board, but I did see a younger couple climb in the side door with a carry on bag. The ambulance left and we left.

Yesterday was really wavy. Every one was walking around like they were drunk. The ship was weaving and bouncing bad. You could hear the loud crashing of waves. All the pools and hot tubs were closed. Right around dinner time is when the hot water pipe broke. There was no hot water for a couple hours.

We are getting ready to disembark.

Would love to hear more details on this! The article says the crew member slipped and fell overboard. I have never seen a carnival railing that you could slip and fall over unless you were walking the railing like a tight rope? Interesting?

Rumor is that the man over board was a crew member that had been on ship for six months and wanted to go home. The only way he thought was to show he had mental issues. He was wearing a life jacket. They spotted the flashing emergency beacon.

The night before Jamaica there was an emergency medical call at about 1:30 a.m. That day as we were getting ready to leave Jamaica, an ambulance pulled up with lights and siren. I didn't see when they put the patient on board, but I did see a younger couple climb in the side door with a carry on bag. The ambulance left and we left.

Yesterday was really wavy. Every one was walking around like they were drunk. The ship was weaving and bouncing bad. You could hear the loud crashing of waves. All the pools and hot tubs were closed. Right around dinner time is when the hot water pipe broke. There was no hot water for a couple hours.

Well this explanation makes more sense! A little disturbing though, if a carnival employee doesn't like their job shouldn't they be allowed to quit and go home? Seems to me if you have to jump overboard to get away, or prove mental illness that comes along the lines of slave labor or sweatshops that you can't get away from. Wonder if there really was a little mental illness or what Carnival's policy really is with their employees?

I like the way you are presenting this whole thing:D

Normally posters post stuff like you describe in a way like... "the sky is falling"..or.."oh, the poor crew member, I feel so sorry for him and his family back in the Phillipines and I should quadruple the extra tip I leave him"...or..."OMG, those poor people in Jamaica..I hope they had insurance but if not I hope CCL refunds them their cruise:rolleyes:"...

but you have a great...common sense way of posting about your exciting cruise......that's the way to go...keep it up....:D

Well this explanation makes more sense! A little disturbing though, if a carnival employee doesn't like their job shouldn't they be allowed to quit and go home? Seems to me if you have to jump overboard to get away, or prove mental illness that comes along the lines of slave labor or sweatshops that you can't get away from. Wonder if there really was a little mental illness or what Carnival's policy really is with their employees?

as I expected.....

Would love to hear more details on this! The article says the crew member slipped and fell overboard. I have never seen a carnival railing that you could slip and fall over unless you were walking the railing like a tight rope? Interesting?

Agreed there has to be way more to this story...you would have to want to fall overboard as you said railings are way to high for you just to fall overboard in any sea conditions just about!!

Normally posters post stuff like you describe in a way like... "the sky is falling"..or.."oh, the poor crew member, I feel so sorry for him and his family back in the Phillipines and I should quadruple the extra tip I leave him"...or..."OMG, those poor people in Jamaica..I hope they had insurance but if not I hope CCL refunds them their cruise:rolleyes:"...

but you have a great...common sense way of posting about your exciting cruise......that's the way to go...keep it up....:D

as I expected.....

REALLY??? I didn't say anything about poor crew members? Or tipping, or about poor anybody???? Maybe you should reread my post?? I said I wonder if he really is mentally ill? Or that I would like to know if the explanation was true that he felt he had to do this I wonder what Carnival's policy is? And actually after reading your first post. My response to your "as I expected" should be

AS I EXPECTED :rolleyes:

If a employee on a cruise ship quits or gets fired they have to pay their own way home (this is a fact). I am sure he was thinking if they say he has a mental illness his insurance would cover him and would then get his airfare paid (this is my opinion). After all who jumps overboard with a life jacket on unless they want to be rescued.

If a employee on a cruise ship quits or gets fired they have to pay their own way home (this is a fact). I am sure he was thinking if they say he has a mental illness his insurance would cover him and would then get his airfare paid (this is my opinion). After all who jumps overboard with a life jacket on unless they want to be rescued.

nonna5 - Thank You! Appreciate the information. Your thought process sounds very logical, and I would have to agree with you about that explanation.

REALLY??? I didn't say anything about poor crew members? Or tipping, or about poor anybody???? Maybe you should reread my post?? I said I wonder if he really is mentally ill? Or that I would like to know if the explanation was true that he felt he had to do this I wonder what Carnival's policy is? And actually after reading your first post. My response to your "as I expected" should be

AS I EXPECTED :rolleyes:

but in your post..you did extrapolate and come to conclusions about CCL..the crew et all...

and that is what I was pointing out...

that what starts as a light hearted post about some interesting..unusual...and somewhat amusing incidents on a cruise...always turns into a poor crew member..with problems..or how poorly they are treated ...etc.etc...

personally..my take is...geez..guess that guy really wanted to get back to his family...good thing he wore a life jacket:D ..or he might have drowned:D

and I expect...that everyone will now disagree with me...but who cares...I still like the fact that the OP is being lighthearted...as I am...but everyone will of course make a point to disagree with me......just for fun..

Personally I think post #2 and # 3 are the best!!!

At first I thought the crew member might have been repairing or painting something - I have seen them wear life jackets when working around the railings, or hanging from lines/scaffolds painting. But then I read it happened 10:30 at night. There went that idea!

!!!

We had a ton of fun. We also had some excitement. Someone was taken away by ambulance in Jamaica. The main hot water pipe broke. Last night someone jumped over board and was rescued from the sea. Yesterday was a rough and bumpy ride. The waves were bad. More to come later.

Now that is what I would call All-Inclusive!

Archived