Adice needed: Accessorizing with scarves and belts

maina

We're doing a transatlantic crossing on Queen Mary 2 May 29th, with 3 formal nights, 2 semi-formal, and 2 elegant casual. I need advice on accessorizing with belts and scarves, as I am not normally a wearer of either. Are there any websites or videos you could recommend (e.g. how to drape/tie/fold scarves, pashminas; types of belts and how they look with various combinations of clothing, etc.)? By way of background, I'm not a youngster (60s), on the short side, slightly "thick" around the tummy, but not really heavy. I think I'm pretty well set for the formal nights, but it's the semi-formal and elegant casual I need help with accessorizing, plus of course daytime on the boat and our further travels. I actually do have a number of scarves--just don't know how to make creative use of them. :confused: I'm also not a big jewelry wearer, but will bring along a few pieces (necklaces, pins) that will dress things up.

After the cruise, we will be traveling for 2-3 weeks by public transport in England and the continent so decided to go with our usual 2 carry-ons plus a rolling garment-bag type suitcase for our fancy duds for the transatlantic crossing. We're making arrangements through Cunard to have that shipped back to the U.S. so we won't have to cart it around.

P.S. After I posted, I saw the typo in the title (should be "advice") but apparently the title isn't editable. Oops.

One look I'm experimenting with right now is using scarves as belts. Use a buckle that does not have the sticky out piece that would normally go into one of the punched belt holes. Fold the scarf along the bias, so you end up with a 2" or so width. Tie one end of it to the buckle, then wrap the scarf around you and tie the other end of the scarf to the other side of the buckle. Depending on the shape, style, weight of the buckle, it can also be used as a pendant on a cord necklace. I'll try to find a pic of the kind of buckle I'm talking about (my camera is non-functional right now).

edit: Okay, like the big round white mother of pearl "scarf slide" here.... and of course the buckle can also be used as a scarf slide to hold a pasmina, or other large-ish scarf.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Mother-Pearl-MOP-Belt-buckle-Scarf-Slide-LOT-Brass-Hook-claw-ART-DECO-/160748315539?pt=Vintage_Costume_Jewelry&hash=item256d58a393

I really like these http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.H191806.desc.Set-of-2-Stay-Put-Wrapminas-by-Lori-Greiner "Wrapminas" from QVC. You can wear them like a scarf, but they also have the edges sewn up so you can put your arms through them and wear them as a shawl. Two in a pack, very versatile.

I'm so lazy, I like to wear scarves that aren't tied at all! If you find just the right size and shape, it works well. I like a long, thin rectangular scarf. Just let it hang down on both sides. If it is really long, wrap it around your neck once, then let it hang. I don't think I am describing it very well. Here is a photo of the wrapped-once style, a very casual look:

celebscarves.jpg

And one of the just let it hang look:

top-10-worst-of-2010-6-princess-letizia.html

OP - if you need to edit the title in the future, click on "edit", then in the bottom right hand corner, you chose "Go Advanced". This will let you edit the title.

Thanks for those who posted suggestions, especially the YouTube video. Scarfs help keep packing light, and I'm always looking for new ways to use them.

This blog has great information and illustrations of how mix and match is best accomplished. More information is added every week or so. http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com/

Her scarves are to die for.... Hermes, for the most part... too expensive for me. :(

5326jan, thanks for that link.... a great blog! I've bookmarked it so I can refer to it again and again..... :)

I own a few Hermes scarves. They are nice, but a person can easily reproduce the color combos in much less expensive scarves. I have actually recently discovered that I wear most of the H scarves much less than others I own. Matter of fact, I've declared war on my clothing, and I'll be selling off a few H scarves because I've got others (WAY LESS $$$$$) that I love more. My new rule is if I don't love it, out it goes!

Archived