difference between Carnival & Princess

Hi folks, I know this question might be like asking "how long is a piece of string" but.........

I was wondering what differences we need to know between Princees & Carnival.

We have only ever travelled with Princess and see some good prices for the Carnival Spirit in Oz over the next year or so.

what extras do we pay compared to Princess?

what currancy is used on Carnival?

why cruise Carnival instead of Princess?

and any other relevant info please

B&B

I have only cruised on Carnival in the Caribbean, on two occasions. Ships were Valor and Triumph. Main difference for me was I found Carnival felt much more crowded. I felt I was dodging other passengers on the Lido deck when walking from one area to another. Cabins were larger (or felt like it), food was on a par in my opinion. Never enough vegetables, but then none of the cruise lines seem to offer much. I always ask for a plate of steamed vegetables to be added to the table each night.

As far as prices - I bought my cruises through US TA and therefore price was low, ie one cruise was 14 days B2B, I had a single cabin and only paid $US1600.

Decor takes some getting used to.........garish to say the least. Unlike Princess which I find to my taste.

Would I cruise with them again? Only if they bring down the prices. For instance if they offer Freemantle to Sydney during our winter months, for a reasonable price unlike those being charged by Princess. I have had quoted near to $4,000 for 17 days for an outside on Princess.

Carnival here will be in AUD, like the Australian Princess ships.

I would say there would be more you would pay for on Carnival ships, e.g. room service and they may not have the free soft serve you get on Princess ships. In the hierarchy they are a lower market niche than Princess which means less inclusions.

Onboard experience is more 'fun' oriented as well, so activity style is closer to P&O than Princess as you can see activities like the water slide.

Carnival here will be in AUD, like the Australian Princess ships.

I would say there would be more you would pay for on Carnival ships, e.g. room service and they may not have the free soft serve you get on Princess ships. In the hierarchy they are a lower market niche than Princess which means less inclusions.

Onboard experience is more 'fun' oriented as well, so activity style is closer to P&O than Princess as you can see activities like the water slide.

I consider Carnival Australia to be almost a cross between Princess and P&O. They will have things like free icecream 24/7, soft drink packages (not sure about coffee packages). They will also have fun stuff like the waterslides, etc.

Wnen the carnival spirt comes to Australia it will have free icecream and room service.That What my TA told me

TAs don't always get it right - even staff on the line don't. ;-)

I just went off their website which says room service is at additional cost.

Free soft serve ice cream certainly seems a very important reason to choose a particular cruise line. My wife and I spent 21 days on Sun Princess and used the soft serve once and it certainly was'nt "Mr Whippy".

Surely there are more relevant reasons to choose a particular line:confused:

oh no, FREE icecream is the prerequisite for choice..........lol! My DH would break the cruise budget if we had to pay for icecream..ROFLMHO

Love your back handed humor - Wyuna1

Yes! when reading their site...room service and icecream is not free!

Yes! not all TA get it right!

thanks for your replies folks. :)

B&B

G'day Happyaussies,

I am glad you took my comment the way it was intended. If you cannot have a bit of fun what's the use. I am sure you will enjoy what ever ship you ctruise on it sure beats being on land.

In answer to the age old question I have always used the answer "that it twice the distance from the centre to the end." Happy cruising.:D:D

If you want party town, drunken bogans go Carnival. Princess would be way more up market.

Did a cruise on Carnival Destiny, out of Miami last year and it was the most vile trip we have ever done. Filthy dirty around the areas you ate in. ie buffet and out on the deck outside the buffet. Have got to love sticking to the table. Had a horrible stench when you walked into the buffet like off fat or something.

Drunks everywhere.

Pools tiny.

Food in buffet was disgusting. MDR was alot better.

Blaring music around the pool at 8am.

After this cruise a week later we got on RCL to go to Alaska and what a great surprise. Spotless and great food.

Husband has said dont ever book Carnival again or i go alone.

Caz

If you want party town, drunken bogans go Carnival. Princess would be way more up market.

Did a cruise on Carnival Destiny, out of Miami last year and it was the most vile trip we have ever done. Filthy dirty around the areas you ate in. ie buffet and out on the deck outside the buffet. Have got to love sticking to the table. Had a horrible stench when you walked into the buffet like off fat or something.

Drunks everywhere.

Pools tiny.

Food in buffet was disgusting. MDR was alot better.

Blaring music around the pool at 8am.

After this cruise a week later we got on RCL to go to Alaska and what a great surprise. Spotless and great food.

Husband has said dont ever book Carnival again or i go alone.

Caz

We have been on both Princess and Carnival. I really think it depends upon the destination. If you are going south like the

Caribbean on Carnival - it is a party boat. However, we went on the Carnival Splendor to the Mediterrean it was one of our best cruises. We also did Princess to Alaska and that also was wonderful. We used RCL to the Baltic region and that too was superb. Some destinations are just more of a party atmosphere than others. We will now be trying Celebrity Solstice for Australia / New Zealand which I heard this ship is beautiful. :)

We took a Carnival cruise and was so impressed with the ship, activities, food, etc. that we invited friends to join us on our next Carnival cruise. OMG, what a difference...the ship was horribly tacky and garish! There were a lot of kids crowding the pools and hot tubs, every venue seemed loud, the entertainment was disappointing...we aplogized over and over for inviting the other couple. Our cabin actually had footprints on the ceiling...a true party ship. It was nothing like our first Carnival cruise and both were in the Caribbean.

In my humble opinion I think that Carnival aims more at families and also younger cruisers...party atmosphere 24/7 and less expensive cruises. I feel that Princess is more upscale and appeals/markets to an older crowd. We've cruised on most of the lines and have had great and not so great cruises on the same line, but Princess, RCI, and Celebrity seem to be the most consistant in providing the best value per $ for the mid-range cruise lines.

But I do believe that often the cruisers set the tone of the cruise which often shows when we do B2Bs. A cruise may be quiet and refined and the same ship the next week it's party central for all on board...it's all just a wonderful adventure!!

~~Judy

Archived