How do you afford all of these cruises?

DaQuix

I have been with the same employer for over 30 years. I accumulate paid leave time according to the number of hours I work. The more I work, the more hours I accumulate. I have never been close to the maximum allowed:D, but can usually take about 6 weeks total off each year ( not all at once though). My sick time comes out of this bank also, so I try not to be sick!

My DH gets eight weeks paid vacation per year. The best thing about that is he takes four weeks of it every Christmas holiday season. It's fantastic, especially now since our son is married and we have two grandchildren. We usually travel/vacation twice a year. If son and family are joining us, we foot the bill for everyone. BTW, DH has been at his company for about 24 years. We're in our forties and we've worked our a**** off our entire lives for the lifestyle we have now. It has nothing to do with "luck" or "fortune" as some people like to attribute it to.

Move the Canada where we give people a decent vacation package! :)

"give"??? :confused: Somehow I think someone paid for that perk by way of very high taxes. The government doesn't give anything.... someone pays for it! :rolleyes:

"give"??? :confused: Somehow I think someone paid for that perk by way of very high taxes. The government doesn't give anything.... someone pays for it! :rolleyes:

Well our company has the same vacation policy for all it's employees, even the ones in the US who's taxes aren't as high...so go roll your eyes somewhere else.

Well our company has the same vacation policy for all it's employees, even the ones in the US who's taxes aren't as high...so go roll your eyes somewhere else.

Sorry, eye rolling was directed at Governments/businesses that want you to believe they have "given" you something! You earned it or you paid for it... that's my point, but I worded it terribly! :o Please, no offense intended!

My question isn't so much about finances. If someone can afford to cruise a lot, more power to them, and I couldn't care less how they do it.

My question is about vacation time. Where would a non-retired person in the US, who's employed in a traditional corporate job, find enough time to do more than 2 cruises per year and to do it every year? It's a well-known fact that getting proper vacation time in the US is like pulling teeth. Simply put, "the company needs you" every time you want to get away. Especially in this economy, when people won't go on vacation because they fear for their jobs.

My guess is that working-age people with 10+ cruises under their belt are from Europe, where 6-week vacations are guaranteed by law. Or if you're from the US and fit into the non-retired corporate-employed demographic, what's your secret? :)

I live in the US and have a great job where I get 17 days vacation (each year) since I started a little over 2 years ago. At 5 years, I get another 7 days making it 24 days just in vacation. Nevermind all the holidays we have off that most people in the private sector don't have. We are a private company but have the same holidays off that the government offices do.:)

We do it the good old fashioned way - we live below our means and budget for vacations. And we pay cash for everything. If it's charged on a card, it's payed off every month. We don't buy stuff we don't need or try to keep up with the Joneses. We do one cruise and 3-4 other vacations a year.

Move the Canada where we give people a decent vacation package! :)

Warning, attempted humor follows.

Choose your response:

1) It would be difficult to move the Canada, it's too heavy and would leave the US exposed to snowstorms if there was nothing to the north;

OR

2) Canadians need extra days off so they can escape the cold climate by vacationing in the US.

:D

Archived