How do you afford all of these cruises?

DaQuix

Since most Americans do not understand liters, that is about $7.50 per gallon

I quoted litres, has a UK gallon is more than a US gallon.

1 UK gallon = 4.55 litres

1 US gallon = 3.79 litres

A litre is exactly the same in the UK or US.

We are DINKs and not by choice though we do have two very spoiled dogs. We have been blessed through our careers with steady employment. DH is now self-employed and has flexibility in time off while I get the standard 2 weeks.

Seeing how much I loved our first (we leave on our second in less than 48 hours), I am making vacation (read: CRUISING) a priority. We were married 10 years before our first cruise (2011) and before that, never took any destination vacations, just visited family.

I will make whatever changes necessary to our budget to make sure that I can take my mom on a trip while she is still able to enjoy it. If DH doesn't go on that one, too bad so sad. :eek:

We just started cruising twice a year a few years ago. Before that, it was only once a year. We now set a goal and put money on the side each week in order to reach that goal. Sometimes, we may have to give up going out to eat and the movies one week if our goal isn't met. It's just a matter of saving all year, and also searching for great deals. The first cruise we book in a year is usually planned in order to meet up with good friends and celebrate our anniversary. The second cruise of the year that gets planned is more of a bargain/sale search. We pick that one according to the deals that are out there at the time. If there is a deal, we go......if not, we don't.

I was not aware that the Republicans wanted to convert the US to metric.

You could always do what we do in the UK, and use both.

We normally use cm and metres for small measurements, but then use miles for driving. Our speed is calculated in miles, and so is the fuel consumption 'mpg', but we sell fuel in litres????

Beer we sell in pints, but spirits is in 'millilitres'. Milk is still sold in pints. Fruit and Veg use to be sold in lbs & oz's, but then we were made to use milligrammes. After a couple of high profile court cases were traders were sent to jail for still selling in lb & oz's, the government then allowed traders/shops to sell fruit and veg again in lb & oz's, but they still had to display the milligramme price to abide by EU law.

In the winter when it's cold we use the Celcius temperature gauge, as -10 sounds colder than 14 def Fahrenheit. In the summer we reverse this and use

Fahrenheit, again, as 95 deg Fahrenheit sounds hotter than 35 deg Celcius.

Oh the joys of living in the UK..... :D:D

My point was I am not voting Democrat again because the President and his cronies made it clear the prices aren't going down. That's my point. Get it? ( I suspect your going to tell me "no" LOL)

I knew somehow I was confused (and there are so many ways for me to reach that state). LOL

As I peruse the forums I see a lot of posters with the cruises they have been on listed in their signatures. Many people have 2-3 cruises per year every year for the past 10 years.

I'm not trying to poke and prod into your financial life, just wondering if I am missing something as far as getting free cruises or half off because I don't know many people who could afford 3 vacations per year every year. So is it all personal income or are you getting amazing deals? Should I sign up for anchor club?

Thanks for the tips/advice in advance!

seeing how i barely graduated high school i only make about 51k a year (on long island thats not alot) im starting to think had id gone to college id make better money and would be able to afford longer, and more cruises.

the cruise in my signature is not my typical cruise, i usually only get 1 or 2 seven day cruises a year

My point was I am not voting Democrat again because the President and his cronies made it clear the prices aren't going down. That's my point. Get it? ( I suspect your going to tell me "no" LOL)

Your political views are protected under the First Amendment ... but they don't belong here. There are plenty of places to express them and become active in the process. I encourage you to do so if your convictions are that strong. Renting vs. buying a home is another offshoot that should be addressed elsewhere. In the meantime, we're discussing how some of us can afford to cruise pretty often. Back on topic, please ....

If your time is flexible (i.e. within 70 or 75 days ... final payment for most cruises) prices for unsold staterooms often drop significantly directly following the cutoff date. We have a friend who sets up vacation time from his job in advance, starts looking for a cruise about 2 1/2 months out, and generally lands a very sweet deal. He does it twice a year, and winds up crusing at bargain rates ... just another option.

Al

Oh brother..this was not a political view deliberately being posted..I was trying to explain why I commented what I did because the other guy didn't understand me.

Drop it and move on, ok?

Your political views are protected under the First Amendment ... but they don't belong here. There are plenty of places to express them and become active in the process. I encourage you to do so if your convictions are that strong. Renting vs. buying a home is another offshoot that should be addressed elsewhere. In the meantime, we're discussing how some of us can afford to cruise pretty often. Back on topic, please ....

If your time is flexible (i.e. within 70 or 75 days ... final payment for most cruises) prices for unsold staterooms often drop significantly directly following the cutoff date. We have a friend who sets up vacation time from his job in advance, starts looking for a cruise about 2 1/2 months out, and generally lands a very sweet deal. He does it twice a year, and winds up crusing at bargain rates ... just another option.

Al

I think it really has a lot to do with your schedule and such. As stated, many people take advantage of last-minute deals because the cruise lines want to fill every room for every sailing. People that can just "up and go" at any moment have a huge advantage. Other than that, many people book way in advance and take advantage of promotions or other specials that help supplement the cost. If you're not picky, inside rooms save you a ton of money, but if you're picky like me and HAVE to have a view of the ocean, you'll end up spending a little more.Of course the most obvious is money. I'm still single so I'm able to save quite a bit. I've been putting a large chunk of each check away in my savings and know that if I manage my money correctly, I can look forward to a great cruise towards the end of the year when it's less expensive.

I think it really has a lot to do with your schedule and such. As stated, many people take advantage of last-minute deals because the cruise lines want to fill every room for every sailing. People that can just "up and go" at any moment have a huge advantage. Other than that, many people book way in advance and take advantage of promotions or other specials that help supplement the cost. If you're not picky, inside rooms save you a ton of money, but if you're picky like me and HAVE to have a view of the ocean, you'll end up spending a little more.Of course the most obvious is money. I'm still single so I'm able to save quite a bit. I've been putting a large chunk of each check away in my savings and know that if I manage my money correctly, I can look forward to a great cruise towards the end of the year when it's less expensive.

We book early and then watch as the prices change. We booked 8 nights to Bermuda this year at about $1150 pp and now its down to $599 pp. The last few years we have sailed out of Bayonne and are this summer trying Baltimore. Not having to pay airfare really helps. We usually book a cruise while we are on a cruise to get OBC and reduced deposits. We are still working so we cruise usually twice a year. But once we retire in another 4 years we will be watching the prices and cruising when we find deals. Hopefully 3 or 4 times a year.

We cruise about once or twice a year. I keep a change/money jar in my house and all my change goes into it. I try to add dollar bills to it also. I recently gave up diet coke so in the jar that money goes! That takes care of the incidental charges on my trip. I am also a nurse, when I really want something I will work extra shifts. I can take 3 days off work and be gone for 10 days. Sometimes I cruise with just the girls, 1 of us can go cheaper than as a couple, lol. I always sign up for a future cruise while onboard to have something to look forward to. I never get the chance to get a good deal it seems, we live in the midwest. We never plan a trip more than a few months in the future. If you sign up way ahead of time, you have lots more time to plan your strategy.

Happy Cruising!

We paid just under $2,000 for a 4,000 square foot home

i think thats why i know a lot of people from long island wind up in s.c. :D

we are also 4000 sq. ft.

on 3/4 acre. its like $14,285.00 a year every year. thankfully we own outright, or we would not be able to stay in our beautiful home

:)

We just spend the kids inheritance.

All this talk about kids inheritance. Any inheritance for kids should be what's left after we enjoy all the hard work we have gone through. They will be loved and cared for all my life and supported until they are old enough to support themselves. They can make their own financial future. We made ours. If they need help in times of need it will be given, but I will not stop living my life to the fullest, responsibly of course, on account of leaving "inheritance".

All this talk about kids inheritance. Any inheritance for kids should be what's left after we enjoy all the hard work we have gone through. They will be loved and cared for all my life and supported until they are old enough to support themselves. They can make their own financial future. We made ours. If they need help in times of need it will be given' date=' but I will not stop living my life to the fullest, responsibly of course, on account of leaving "inheritance".[/quote']

I know that I and probably most of the others were kidding about spending the kids inheritance.

In a way, we all are. After all, for most of us whatever is left will go to the child(ren). So everything we spend reduces the size of our estate and therefore their inheritance.

I hesitated to post after reading the above, but here goes anyway:

We worked all our lives and took vacations when we could work them into our schedules and could afford them. When our son graduated from college we were amazed that we then had quite a bit of disposable income and began to travel and cruise more often. We retired in June 2010 and have taken 22 cruises since and have 12 more booked. So, what is the key to how do we do it.......NO DEBT as well as decent investments. Debt is the killer of dreams. It truly is amazing how much disposable income one has when their house, car, etc. are paid for an you have NO DEBT.

We do not scrimp when we travel but we don't book grand suites and above. yes, we sometimes book an outside with window cabin and we are trying an inside in May for the first time because the price was unbelievably low. A regular cabin with a balcony is our usual. We don't belong to a country club, golf, or ski anymore...we have simply chosen to spend our time deriving pleasure from sailing on cruise ships.

And just for the record, we are Diamond Plus and I'm not fibbing.

To the poster who asked "What is D+": it is just two words that are written on your sea pass card that allows you to have access to certain "special" things on the ship. It is Royal Caribbean's way of saying "Thank you for sticking with us and not handing over your money to our competition." Usually when the crew sees "Diamond Plus" on your card they smile at you and treat you more like family; they know that you like them because you keep coming back to them time and time again (that's my favorite part). Seriously, D+ is no more special than getting an upgrade at a hotel because you stick with that chain or frequent flier perks on an airplane.

Ditto! Btw, First Colonial HS 1971. Also beach native!:D

I think what somebody paid for how big a house is NOBODY"s business unless we are bragging:rolleyes:

Bottom line is people make choices..........on their homes, their lifestyles, and how they choose to spend whatever resources they have. There aren't any secrets........we choose to cruise twice a year and make cut backs in other area's...........at the end of the day, you make choices for what you want to do in life.........no matter how big your house is:)

They are called SKI holidays, spend kids inheritance. We have been cruising 3 times a year lately.Take cheapest outside cabin (don't like inside but they are a great bargain) do our own thing in every port and don't spend vey much on booze but do like wine at dinner so we buy one.bottle for every two nights. I also check prices daily and if they go down I phone the cruise line or TA if booked through a TA.

Just booked Ruby Princess Trans Atlantic last week for April 22nd. Check the price very cheap

Ontario Cruiser

You could always do what we do in the UK, and use both.

We normally use cm and metres for small measurements, but then use miles for driving. Our speed is calculated in miles, and so is the fuel consumption 'mpg', but we sell fuel in litres????

Beer we sell in pints, but spirits is in 'millilitres'. Milk is still sold in pints. Fruit and Veg use to be sold in lbs & oz's, but then we were made to use milligrammes. After a couple of high profile court cases were traders were sent to jail for still selling in lb & oz's, the government then allowed traders/shops to sell fruit and veg again in lb & oz's, but they still had to display the milligramme price to abide by EU law.

In the winter when it's cold we use the Celcius temperature gauge, as -10 sounds colder than 14 def Fahrenheit. In the summer we reverse this and use

Fahrenheit, again, as 95 deg Fahrenheit sounds hotter than 35 deg Celcius.

Oh the joys of living in the UK..... :D:D

Off topic, but that's what makes it interesting. I love the mixed systems.

I think what somebody paid for how big a house is NOBODY"s business unless we are bragging:rolleyes:

Bottom line is people make choices..........on their homes, their lifestyles, and how they choose to spend whatever resources they have. There aren't any secrets........we choose to cruise twice a year and make cut backs in other area's...........at the end of the day, you make choices for what you want to do in life.........no matter how big your house is:)

I agree 100% with your statements. It is all about priorities. Some people want the biggest homes, flashy cars, more clothes than they could ever wear, etc. Others just want to cruise. Very simple:)

I agree 100% with your statements. It is all about priorities. Some people want the biggest homes, flashy cars, more clothes than they could ever wear, etc. Others just want to cruise. Very simple:)

Yup. We all decide either consciously or unconsciously how to spend out money

Perhaps a bit, but I think it is at least a tiny bit relevant to this thread.

Do you value an expensive house over cruises or other experiences? How much so? Our home is modest by today's definition (1,200 square feet) but it suits our needs just fine. And by having that house, we're less tied to it. If we had a $1,000/mo (or, to fit in with the others here, a $5,000/mo) mortgage, we'd pretty much HAVE to live at home. But, we don't, so we can afford to be away from home as much as we like. We're currently halfway across the world in Australia. Paying rent on a house here. Something we couldn't do if we also had a mortgage to worry about. So this year we won't spend a single day "back home"; years past we spent maybe 3-4 months a year at home.

We value travel, so that's what money gets spent on. Priorities, that's all.

Archived