Live from the crashed Grandeur in Costa Maya

I am not looking for anything extra. I want this to be a wash. So if I fly in on Saturday where am I going to find a hotel for 2 nights with all the ameities of the ship for 600.00 (we have 2 cabins (6 people) and that is the ship board credit).

Yes I can take the full refund, but than I'll be out over 100.00 per airline ticket plus I still have to find a place to go. We can't stay at home because we our having our first floor floors refinished (we have all the furniture moved out of the house) and our dog is scheduled for the kennel.

I have tried to transfer to a different ship/vacation. Either it's not available or way too much money.

I should not be out any money because of their problem.

This is only vacation of the year.

I am not looking for anything extra. I want this to be a wash. So if I fly in on Saturday where am I going to find a hotel for 2 nights with all the ameities of the ship for 600.00 (we have 2 cabins (6 people) and that is the ship board credit).

Yes I can take the full refund, but than I'll be out over 100.00 per airline ticket plus I still have to find a place to go. We can't stay at home because we our having our first floor floors refinished (we have all the furniture moved out of the house) and our dog is scheduled for the kennel.

I have tried to transfer to a different ship/vacation. Either it's not available or way too much money.

Did you get insurance? Can you call the airline and have your flight changed to another day, so not to incur hotel charges and find some friends family to stay with until that day?

i have another question, if i want to complain about not being compensated well, who do i complain to RC or my travel agent?...

p.s. i called carnival the conquest is completly booked.

Good morning all. The first set of passengers have been called to board the bus to Chetumal. We're trying to decide what to do around here today. We did enjoy the town but as all of you know who've been here, it's just a couple of blocks and HOT, wow so HOT, no shade. The little "port" area is a jokey tourist trap.

We did the SNUBA in Cayman and I finally learned to hang out with fish underwater. It was just super. I don't like snorkeling so now I want to learn to SCUBA. Tried talking DH into looking into a possible beginner's SCUBA class here in Costa Maya, but he didn't seem excited. We have already spent rather lot of money, but hey, we just got $250 yesterday from RCI! Found money, need to spend it.

I'm glad RCI worked something out for the woman who was scheduled to get married next week here. IMO, they've done an outstanding job of making sure everyone (at least on this cruise) is happy.

Time for breakfast.

Get your money back Stop bitching about the little things in life. And cancel your floors. move the date to go another time when you go on a new cruise. book it now.

IMO : I can see where a bit of emotion would be involved. The little things in life over which not to complain? : A bus arriving late, a long line at the grocery store.

A relatively bigger life item ? : I would say that a cruise vacation in which one has invested his or her time and money is a bit bigger.

Fisher Lady,

But the only place in the world the piolt has control over a ship is the Panama Canal. In the 5 or 600 cruises I have done The pilot advises the Captain but never touches the controls. The tug boats are only for show they have never been used on the new ships.

Tj

I believe this poster knows what they are talking about. If my memory serves me correctly, is this not the wife of a RCI ship's captain?

Get your money back Stop bitching about the little things in life. And cancel your floors. move the date to go another time when you go on a new cruise. book it now.

Hardly a little thing.

It wouldn't have been so bad if they wouldn't have waited so long to make a decision. There was room on the Rhapsody out of Galveston on Wed that we were ready to switch to because it is within driving distance. However, they wouldn't tell us anything or let us go ahead and get a refund to make the move. Now they will but there are no ships (Carnival or RCI) with room now (we tried all last night.) Our vacation with our (3 of us) employers is set for next week, no way to change. So it is hardly a "little thing."

If nothing becomes available between now and then, we're taking what they give us and we're going. I will just have to comsume the same amount of alcohol in 5 days instead of 7 :D

sorry you took it the wrong way. Life is to short. be thankful everyone is ok.

I have a friend on the ship and she is fine. So that is the main thing. Things can be changed in life. People on land have more control then the ones on the ship.

i agree, its a lot easier for people on not sailing on the 23rd to say "make the best of it"..especially when you have been looking forward to it for 1 year now.

Good point, but what is the other option? If you cant make the best of it, then what?

Thats really all you can do, make the best of it or cancel. Like you said, you have been looking forward to it for over a year, so do you really want to give it up, or do you want "to make the best of it" and have a good time anyways?

If there is another realistic option to "make the best of it" in this situtation? Wheres Doctor Phil when we need him. :D

sorry you took it the wrong way. Life is to short. be thankful everyone is ok.

I have a friend on the ship and she is fine. So that is the main thing. Things can be changed in life. People on land have more control then the ones on the ship.

I am thankful I was not on the GOS when it happened. I'm glad everyone is alright and no matter how 'bad' we got it, jenfromdallas (getting married on the GOS) had it worse than us. A whole party and wedding on 4/23 on the ship. Compared to that, we got off easy. What happened to jenfromdallas anyway?

i'm scheduled for the april 23 sailing and the way I look at it is any day not to be at work is great. so i'm keeping my cruise and i don't care if we just sit in the middle of the gulf the entire time. I'm just glad I don't have to go to work.

well i have to make the best of it.. we have 8 of us and our vacation is schedualed for this coming up week (thru work), we cant cancel.

has anyone been to key west before?... what can we do there?

While all of you that was to be on the 23rd sailing very disappointed right now just remember, it could be worse. Someone could have lost a life in the accident. The ship could have been damaged worse and not even had a shortened 23rd sailing.

Do I know the disappointment and sadness of a shortened cruise, YES. We were celebrating our 20th anniversary on the Enchantment when on the second day of the 7 day cruise we got a call that our family business was destroyed by fire. Had to disembark as soon as we got to the first port.

Hopefully RCCL will make it right for all of you. Just remember, if in your mind they do not compensate you as you think they should, if you have or had travel insurance, you would be getting all your money back.

Tim

Not much worse places...as one earlier post said, this is a contrived port stop with very little to do except drink.

Mark T.

I could think of worse places all over the world. At least this place is not hostile towards Americans and their beliefs and the people can come and go as they please without harassment from the people (aside from "buy my stuff").

You may see it as a place without much to do beisdes drink. I look at it as a place where you can veg out without having to worry about doing too much. People pay thousands to rent houses for a week at the Jersey shore to sit on the beach. Might as well take advantage of the beaches while there...

If you have travel insurance, maybe they will cover food and lodging in NO (or the surrounding area, depending on where you find a hotel). On my last cruise we were stuck in Halifax overnight on the Canadian Thanksgiving due to poor weather. All we had to do was keep hotel and food receipts and send them to the insurance company with the claim. A few weeks later we got a cheque for every penny. Maybe travel insurance will cover the same way for a delayed cruise. We just had a delayed flight home.

Good luck to everyone!

Lisa

I could think of worse places all over the world. At least this place is not hostile towards Americans and their beliefs and the people can come and go as they please without harassment from the people (aside from "buy my stuff").

You may see it as a place without much to do beisdes drink. I look at it as a place where you can veg out without having to worry about doing too much. People pay thousands to rent houses for a week at the Jersey shore to sit on the beach. Might as well take advantage of the beaches while there...

I have to agree. We stopped at Costa Maya in January on the Carnival Miracle and I thought Majahual was wonderful. Yes, the area at the port is a tourist trap but fun none-the-less and the beach area at Majahaul was very nice. I liked it much better than Grand Cayman and Cozumel. If I was in no rush to return from a cruise, Costa Maya would not be a bad place to be stuck at...of course this is jmho.

Archived