Live from the crashed Grandeur in Costa Maya

My guess is that Cindy may just also be under the assumption,that since there was a "pilot" aboard,he was at the wheel....

I too have been told on many occasions,by ships Captains,and Staff Capts that

they are only there to advise on weather,current and pier conditions..

And again...You have to remember where TJ is coming from.

I totally understand. I have never heard of a pilot taking the wheel, anywhere. That's why I thought this was so strange, but there were a number of opinions when I read that post, and I had not seen them all at that point. TJ's post was a few post later, and I had trigger fingers I guess.....:rolleyes:

Anyway, I am still trying to figure out how the dent is so far above the pier, and where it hit, like on the corner of the pier? Was it listing when it hit? Anyone? Maybe it's just the camera angle?

When we left Costa Maya last week...I was standing out on the balcony of our room right below and behind the port wing bridge.....the CAPTAIN of the ship was at the controls when we scraped the dock while leaving.....no hole but some concrete did fall off the pier......

I totally understand. I have never heard of a pilot taking the wheel, anywhere. That's why I thought this was so strange, but there were a number of opinions when I read that post, and I had not seen them all at that point. TJ's post was a few post later, and I had trigger fingers I guess.....:rolleyes:

Anyway, I am still trying to figure out how the dent is so far above the pier, and where it hit, like on the corner of the pier? Was it listing when it hit? Anyone? Maybe it's just the camera angle?

As I was showing my 10 year old the pictures of the hole (our 1st cruise was the Grandeur), the picture with the 4 men standing, pointing & looking, my son says"those guys are probably saying - you break it, you bought it".

Okay, I think I might be jinxed. I was supposed to go on the Mariner back in Sept on one of the "hurricane cruises"(Jeanne). We opted to not go and instead rebooked the same cruise for April.(I just got back Sunday and it was fabulous by the way). Looks like my bad cruising luck may have followed me into april:(

BTW in an earlier post someone said that you can get a full refund if you decide not to take the April23rd cruise when it finally sets sail. Unless they changed their policy since hurricane season, they will not give you a refund but rather a full CREDIT to rebook at a later time. The only was I can see them giving a refund is if they completely cancel the sailing.

When we left Costa Maya last week...I was standing out on the balcony of our room right below and behind the port wing bridge.....the CAPTAIN of the ship was at the controls when we scraped the dock while leaving.....no hole but some concrete did fall off the pier......

It looks like the ship is listed to the other side so the can fix the damage. That is why I think it is higher then the dock. or the tide went out.

Tj

Wow, there are worse places to be stuck than Costa Maya...

If the ship isn't comping the drinks, head on down to Mahual for $1 coronas

Not much worse places...as one earlier post said, this is a contrived port stop with very little to do except drink.

Mark T.

Guess we were lucky. Miracle backed into that dock without any problem. It was fun to stand up top and watch......almost as much fun as a ship turning around in the Alaskan Glaciers. I hope they can fix the problems at this port. Damaging ships & missing ports is not good for anybody.

Pilots are required since they frequently navigate the local waters and know them better than 'outsiders' if you will. But any experienced Captain such as are maintained on the cruise ships who dock their assigned ship at these paeticular ports on a very frequent basis hardly need a pilot to advise them of the nuances of their ship and controls to dock the ship and secure her. That maneuver is best handled by the ship's Captain, who reagadless of the area, already knows everything he needs to know about how to handle the joystick for this portion of the entry to the port. In addition, two Senior officers are present at this portion of the entry into port, and the local Pilot is not counted as one of the two.

The most telling part of this whole event is the comment made very early on that none of the passengers ever felt a bump. Watching these docking maneuvers many times while on board, when these ships hit the big rubber bumpers on the pier, you can see it but never feel it. In a small boat, a pleasure craft, the feel is very, very different.

Captain BJ, I hold an Advanced Pilot Certification (and in my dreams would like to take the controls of a ship this size) and would like to hear more about the ships you have been in Command of and their size.

Both this accident (check the meaning of "accident" in the dict.), and the recent Great Wave Incident should remind many of these outraged, inconvenienced vacationers that cruising is not staying at the Ritz. That fact alone is still one of the great reasons to enjoy and appreciate a cruise.

Certainly, being involved in any accident is not exactly pleasant. But cruising is still - and it always will be - an inexact science. We're cruising in style on a great ship (hopefully!) but we're throwing our lot upon the mercy of the elements. Appreciate the thrill of the unknown! Cruising is one of the last ways to do this and instead of being outraged over the "ship's handling" of the incident or disgusted with the uncertainty of schedule relax and be brave and be cooperative.

We will never tame the ocean or the weather. Let's appreciate the time we get to enjoy them and respect the times when they are uncooperative.

First let me say that we just heard it was the pilot, and not from an official, just someone at the guest relations desk. Heresay. None of our letters have mentioned who was at the wheel at the time, and heck it could have been our room steward. I guess that is what one of the guests down the hall throught cause he told his steward he was throwing his tip enevelope out the "g.d. window". Takes all kinds! I was embarrassed for the steward.

Second, an announcement was made at dinner tonight. Any of us that need to be in NOLA Saturday morning can take a 2-1/2 hr boat ride to Chetamel (sp?), and fly out from there. We're supposed to report to a conference room until 11:00 pm this evening to make arrangements. The rest of us get to hang out for a "few more days". Not sure what that means. Heck, we're gonna stay I think. The ship is beautiful, the beaches gorgeous, and yes the Coronas onshre are cheap.

Sorry to all of you scheduled for the April 23 cruise. I still don't think they know when we're leaving here.

It looks like the ship is listed to the other side so the can fix the damage. That is why I think it is higher then the dock. or the tide went out.

Tj

I was just looking back at the pictures, and the one with the men talking and pointing is taken from a higher view, thus making it look like the hole is higher.

I think it is still right at dock level.

Just MHO.

Second, an announcement was made at dinner tonight. Any of us that need to be in NOLA Saturday morning can take a 2-1/2 hr boat ride to Chetamel (sp?), and fly out from there. We're supposed to report to a conference room until 11:00 pm this evening to make arrangements. The rest of us get to hang out for a "few more days". Not sure what that means. Heck, we're gonna stay I think. The ship is beautiful, the beaches gorgeous, and yes the Coronas onshre are cheap.

Sorry to all of you scheduled for the April 23 cruise. I still don't think they know when we're leaving here.

Thanks for the update, CIndy. Is the ship really going to be there for a "few more days." Did the Captain provide any specific status on the repairs? Again, thanks for the info. I supposed to be on the 4/23 cruise.

Pilots are required since they frequently navigate the local waters and know them better than 'outsiders' if you will. But any experienced Captain such as are maintained on the cruise ships who dock their assigned ship at these paeticular ports on a very frequent basis hardly need a pilot to advise them of the nuances of their ship and controls to dock the ship and secure her. That maneuver is best handled by the ship's Captain, who reagadless of the area, already knows everything he needs to know about how to handle the joystick for this portion of the entry to the port. In addition, two Senior officers are present at this portion of the entry into port, and the local Pilot is not counted as one of the two.

The most telling part of this whole event is the comment made very early on that none of the passengers ever felt a bump. Watching these docking maneuvers many times while on board, when these ships hit the big rubber bumpers on the pier, you can see it but never feel it. In a small boat, a pleasure craft, the feel is very, very different.

Captain BJ, I hold an Advanced Pilot Certification (and in my dreams would like to take the controls of a ship this size) and would like to hear more about the ships you have been in Command of and their size.

Capt. Bj,

They only use harbor pilot for the Coast Guard because when I grew up in Key West the Fishermen were bringing them back from getting lost. Not to be nasty to you by any means but in Key West they were famous for running aground and getting lost. My father was also a Navy officer so I am sure there were jokes made.That are in the back of my mind still.

My Father wouldn't go on the cruise I got married on 30 years ago because he spent 22 years in the Navy and once he cruised with my husband never got to cruise without him.

I take my own Captain when I cruise and he has built and sailed those ships for 47 years.

Tj

I was just looking back at the pictures, and the one with the men talking and pointing is taken from a higher view, thus making it look like the hole is higher.

I think it is still right at dock level.

Just MHO.

Sheffie,

It might be .I might be wrong but when the tide is in they will have to change the balast of the ship to list her to keep working.

Tj

loge --having just gotten off the Jewel on Sunday and having experienced some high winds and seas on the day before and on the approach into Nassau it made me think of all the sailors who were ions before us with no power and only sails which could not be raised or they would rip. Those sailors were forced to just be at the mercy of the sea.

I think many of us cruisers must be reincarnates of those seafarers. While I am sure what happened on the NCL Dawn scared some out of their minds, and actually caused trauma, when I got home after the seas we saw in this area, I was not suprised to hear what happend with the Rogue Wave. In fact when I was in the shower I just wanted to be sure I knew where the grab bar was in case we took a big tilt when our seas were questionable.

I am still predicting the Grandeur will be pulled for the right repairs to be performed. So while I am happy to hear zachnlucy is making the best of it, I fear the next group will be disppointed since I think the ship will need repairs to make it seaworthy before it sails with passengers again, and that may very well mean cancellations.

My ships have been small by commercial standards. 1000 and 3000 tons respectively. However the neuances of working with local pilots is irespective of tonage. And isn't a pilot lic' specific to a port? If we're talking about a maritime pilot......

I'm familair with the berths fm Norfolk to Aruba and Acapulco to Adak. Cozumel is a particularly fond memory. I'm a ShellBack and A Dragon among others (despite what some say about USCG being shallow water sailors!)

I always worked out a signal with my conning officer of when they would stop listening to the local pilot, who would try to moor despite having no clue of our specifics, and when to use their judgement - as agreed to by me! That's what Captains and Masters get paid for.....

pre 9-11 I was on the bridge of a few and swapped mooring ideas with a Master or two....but we can't be surpised why that doesn't happen today can we?

The Captain just made an announcement ... we should be leaving here Saturday evening and arriving in NOLA Monday afternoon. Each stateroom gets a $250 credit (wow -- I didn't expect a thing), plus those who need to be in NOLA Saturday morning will fly out of Chetamal tomorrow evening, stay at the Hyatt Regency in NOLA and get a $35 meal credit. Those who can wait til NOLA til Saturday afternoon can fly out of Chetemal Saturday morning. We've decided to hang around. 7 day cruise just turned into 9-1/2 days. But I truly am sorry about you guys waiting for the April 23 cruise.

That looks big...... Now how can they truly get this ship seaworthy in a couple of days.....I wouldn't want to sail until that was totally fixed.... I will still cruise though....I won't be deterred... lol.... Glad everyone is safe......and wish them a safe passage to New Orleans.....

"How shocking that this hasn't blown up yet all over the United States media like the Dawn did but I think that is because you folks are still in Mexico! The gash to the ship looks similar to what happened to the Queen Elizabeth 2 when it ran aground in a sandbar and needed to be dry docked in Boston back when I was a younger lad. Same size roughly given the pictures. That ship will need a dry docking or a wet dock to put a plate over it on the exterior. Interior work could take a while and they could do that at their leisure!

It hasn't been on the news yet but I'm sure with the Houston "Oatmeal" reporter poking around it will be on the AP Newswire in not time and there we have another cruise ship story! My co-workers think I'm nuts talking about all this stuff. Thanks for the pictures who ever posted them!

Glad also to read no one was hurt.

That's why it hasn't made news yet - you know the old addage, "if it bleeds, it leads." There's no dramatic photos of smoke coming up from the ship, the ship's not listing to one side, nobody huddled in a room with life jackets, etc.

Sharon... just seems as if a black cloud has followed us. We were first booked on April 30th, but found out it was a repositioning cruise and had to switch to the 23rd. Now this! It just seems as if anything that can go wrong, has gone wrong. Not sure about finding another spot with such little notice. Considering Royal Romance now has all my money and since it's JazzFest week in New Orleans, everything is booked solid. Thought about a chapel, but getting flowers, official, music and reception switched at this point is pretty much impossible.

Jen, what I would do is make RCCL put you on another another cruise and pay for transportation as well. Good heavens, I know its so late, but if you can postpone it and make RCCL find you a suite on another sailing in a port that would be most conveniant for you. This is your wedding, for heaven's sake! I know this was an act RCCL didn't have total control over (though probably SOME, because they could have decided not to dock under those conditions), however you have been far more inconvenianced than I suspect any other passenger. Play that for all it's worth. Don't threaten them, people don't realize how that puts someone on the defensive, but definitely make them understand the gravity of the situation. Good luck and keep us posted.

We just returned from sailing on the Grandeur Saturday, her last sailing before scraping the pier in Costa Maya. It was a beautiful week, some wind but sunshine everyday.

I watched the Captain dock the ship at Costa Maya, he was the one at the wheel. I observed this from the pool deck.

There has been nothing on the local or national news about the incident.

Hopefully RCCL is paying for all the drinks. This maybe a good time to spruce up the Grandeur, it is in need of a facelift, she is showing her age.

Archived