Live from the crashed Grandeur in Costa Maya

I'm just glad that no one was hurt. I wish all present Grandeur passengers good luck and a safe return home - whenever that may be. :rolleyes:

For those scheduled to sail on Saturday 4/23, I hope you get to go, even if you have a shortened cruise. And yes, I do think you should be fairly compensated if that's the case. A pro-rated per diem amount for each passenger plus port charges for missed ports sounds like a good plan.

Jenn, good luck with your wedding. I can only imagine the stress you're feeling at this moment. As an earlier poster said, the wedding is only one day and the marriage is for life. Maybe you'll have your wedding on Sunday instead of Saturday. My prayers are with you.

annieee, i wonder when will we know for sure.. i bet it wont be till tomorrow morning..

i just feel cheated by missing a port or being on the boat for 6 days instead of 7...

if RC rep said the boat would get into nola between (7-11). if thats the case it's going to be a mad house!! at the terminals...

im going to have to call the taxi company on friday night to reserve one..

May I ask how you know that they are flying guest home from Mexico? I seriously doubt that Costa Maya has even a medium size airport.

Those of us on the next couple of cruises are concerned, but lets not add flames to any rumors. :) Lets hope they put out an official statement soon. I am leaving for NO tomorrow morning. Don't want to go unless I know we are definitely sailing even if it is delayed by a day.

Annieeee

The nearest airport is 4 hours away. They are busing those that need to fly home early to the airport and letting them leave early. Those that want to stay with the ship are allowed to do so. It's not a rumor. I'm on the ship.

Glad to see a Red Sox Fan in New Jersey. I met a Sox Fan on Legend of the Seas last month who was from Philly. Doubt he was a PATS fan too. We sailed the Norwegian Dawn in December and absolutely loved it. We really enjoyed all the restaurants and eating whatever time we wanted to. Can't wait to go on the Dawn again in the future. Hope you don't hit any large waves. We would definetely sail from New York again in November or December. Our next cruise is Oct 22 on Jewel of the Seas from Boston to Bermuda and the Caribbean. Already counting the days.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

There are Sox fans all over. I'm in Tampa now but lived in Plymouth MA (apparently your hometown) for about 5 years. Moved down here last August. Got to the ALCS and World Series last year and also Opening Day this year. Eight-six years of misery washed away!!!

I wanted to thank the passengers currently on the ship for taking the time to post to this site. I scheduled for next week cruise, and the information and updates you have provided me have been very helpful.

Caitlyn20

thanks for the info . I believe you because you are on the ship and know more about what is happening. You know how sometimes rumors start flying. And thanks for taking the time to keep us all posted, You know we are just all hanging on to this thread just waiting for more info from those of you onboard. Hope you have extra vacation time and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy all you can.

Annieeee

i would like to say thank you for those of you who are on the boat right now and keeping us posted, ya'll are doing a great job.

i'm suppose to be leaving saturday the 23rd.. please keep me posted

Thanks so much for keeping us informed- heaven knows RCCL is not! I am supposed to leave on Sat from NO. Flight is on Sat and as it is Jazz Fest in NO there are no hotel rooms that are not already booked. Guess we will have to sleep in airport until Sunday if we are able to embark then.

Sure wish RCCL could inform people now so that alternate plans could be made.

Thanks again for keeping us updated

Someone post that Royal Caribbean is trying to hide the what happened. If they where try to hide it why did they put it on there website. Since it happened around 1pm yesterday in Mexico of course the news would come out later. Nobody knew about the Norwegian Dawn until it pulled into port. Someone also said her mother was a travel agent and not heard about it. That is not something that they would tell TA until after they have all the information.

I freely admit that I might have been overreacting. Sorry. But when it was NCL it was a little further removed for me -- now that it's RCCL... since I'm sailing in less than 3 weeks, I had a little freak-out attack. It happens to the best of us.

The pilot has nothing to do with docking the ship, only the captain. The pilot guides the ship in its approach, and then the captain takes over. Costa Maya has a pier that is completely unprotected from the open sea which was probably the reason for the crash. It can happen to even the most experienced captain.

The Mexican pilot was driving the ship at the time of the crash. Latest news from the Captain at about noon was that the experts and techs are evaluating the damage now, and will have an estimate of completion time by 6:00 pm today. We were also told by Tom Canosa, the CD, that in the event the ship does not make it back to NOLA this weekend, we had the option to hang around on the ship and come back when it does, or they would arrange airfare for us (I guess from Cancun?). But none of that is going to happen until after the announcement at 6:00 p.m.

That is so NOT true. The pilot is just that a pilot brings the ship into port and does not leave the ship till it is tied up at the dock. The pilot also takes the ship out of port and then gets on the tug after it is out of the dock area completely.

Fisher Lady,

But the only place in the world the piolt has control over a ship is the Panama Canal. In the 5 or 600 cruises I have done The pilot advises the Captain but never touches the controls. The tug boats are only for show they have never been used on the new ships.

Tj

Well, my 15 minutes online are up and others are waiting. Hey, we're having a great time. I love the little town, and the Chacchoben ruins tour (by Ivan and David --- http://www.chacchobenruins.com) was awesome! Bye for now. BTW, my DH will be on TV later on The Quest, and let me just say here, he was quite beautiful. HAHAHAHA!

Archived