Live from the crashed Grandeur in Costa Maya

Have passengers been told when the ship will leave Costa Maya to return to New Orleans?

Someone posted that apparently Grandeur is due back in New Orleans 1 day late...i.e. Sunday 24th April rather than Saturday 23rd...is this correct?

And how is the work on the ship going?

There have not been any new announcements about departure time. The dining manager told me that they have 40 more people coming to help with the repairs. In a situation like this, it's hard to tell what is rumor and what is fact. The last we heard was late Saturday or mid-day Sunday. Not sure what they are telling people who have to change their flights, since I drove and didn't have any to change. I think if anyone has a flight and have been given directions for changing to a different time, that would be a good indication of when they expect us back.

Have passengers been told when the ship will leave Costa Maya to return to New Orleans?

Someone posted that apparently Grandeur is due back in New Orleans 1 day late...i.e. Sunday 24th April rather than Saturday 23rd...is this correct?

And how is the work on the ship going?

Hi I just spoke with Royal Caribbean and they said that the structural damage was not as severe as first thought and that the ship will arrive back on the 24th and everything will be back to normal.

Hi I just spoke with Royal Caribbean and they said that the structural damage was not as severe as first thought and that the ship will arrive back on the 24th and everything will be back to normal.

"Back to normal" meaning they are fixing it for good and not just doing an emergency repair till we get back? Meaning that people who were booked for the 23rd will get a cruise on the 24th instead? Not sure I know what "back to normal" means. :)

This is awful....my friend just finished putting together all the musical productions on the Grandeur! Those people have worked so hard- I hope that they can repair the damage!

Suzanne

So tell us about the productions? Are they for the April 30th cruise? ;)

Someone from our cruise spoke with RCCL today and they will know more by 3pm today (not sure if it is East or West Coast time.) So far they have said the April 23rd cruise is cancelled. So many different responses...egads! I amy just call them myself!!! Let's hope they get her fixed QUICK!

"Back to normal" meaning they are fixing it for good and not just doing an emergency repair till we get back? Meaning that people who were booked for the 23rd will get a cruise on the 24th instead? Not sure I know what "back to normal" means. :)

Royal Caribbean told me that they will be cruising on the 24th. If you need a more detailed "explaination", my suggestion would be to call Royal Caribbean and they will explain it to you in detail. The phone # is...1-800-256-6649.

OK, I JUST spoke with RCCL. The woman on the phone told me that it is not a MAJOR fix, that it should be cruising for the 30th cruise. She did not sound concerned about that sailing. As for the 23rd sailing, they will have a delayed sailing beofre they cancel the whole trip. BUT, further information will be available this afternoon. Anything else is just speculation. By the way, she was surprised it had not hit the news either! And, the first guy I spoke with on the phone had not even heard of it!!!

If you're scheduled to sail on the Grandeur, I seriously doubt it. Insurance isn't designed to cover you for an event that has already happened. For instance, if your cruise is derailed by a hurricaine that was already named and being tracked before you bought the insurance, you're generally not going to be covered. I suspect this situation would be much the same.

Yes, but, as of yet, there has been no official word on this accident, RCCL has not issued a statement, therefore, so far as we know, (hehe) it didn't happen. The only info thus far is through CC, so I would try to buy the insurance and play dumb as a rock. At least with the Dawn, it was on all the news, ect. Can't hurt to try-----

Royal Caribbean told me that they will be cruising on the 24th. If you need a more detailed "explaination", my suggestion would be to call Royal Caribbean and they will explain it to you in detail. The phone # is...1-800-256-6649.

I was just curious for the people who were going after we return. They were supposed to make an announcement with updates this morning, but we haven't heard anything so far.

Do they fix these things relatively quick?? Does it compromise the integrity of the ship? Just curious. Not sailing on it til next year but it's my first cruise and I don't want to sink.

Im sorry for everyone that was suppose to leave on the 23rd what a HUGE disappointment. Im glad no one was hurt.

OK, I JUST spoke with RCCL. The woman on the phone told me that it is not a MAJOR fix, that it should be cruising for the 30th cruise. She did not sound concerned about that sailing. As for the 23rd sailing, they will have a delayed sailing beofre they cancel the whole trip. BUT, further information will be available this afternoon. Anything else is just speculation. By the way, she was surprised it had not hit the news either! And, the first guy I spoke with on the phone had not even heard of it!!!

Woman I spoke with at RCCL did not know about the crash, either and had to check. As above, damage is not severe, but the status of the 4/23 cruise has not been determined. She said the status may not be determined until tomorrow. I am booked on the 4/23 cruise, and I am hoping that we will still sail even if the time is reduced. Oh well.

I hope the passengers and crew currently on the ship are all unharmed. I feel bad for them.

So tell us about the productions? Are they for the April 30th cruise? ;)

Someone from our cruise spoke with RCCL today and they will know more by 3pm today (not sure if it is East or West Coast time.) So far they have said the April 23rd cruise is cancelled. So many different responses...egads! I amy just call them myself!!! Let's hope they get her fixed QUICK!

Ok, I just called the regular reservation number and they said they will have an update posted on their home page by noon EASTERN today. The phone reservation folks were JUST informed about the accident. And I have not seen anything on the news. NO ONE WAS INJURED!!!

AND you cannot get cruise insurance from RCCL if you have made your final payment but you can get it from other places. Stay tuned!!

No, it doesnt comp the integrity of the ship, they will repair the problem and be good as new. Think about how the ships are stretched these days. Cut in half and a whole new section put in between and put back together. I truly wouldnt worry about the safety of the ship. FYI, Monarch of the Seas a number of years back, ran aground on a reaf and had a large tear in her hull as well. Repaired and still sailing the seas.

I will admit that I am probably being a bit paranoid, however...

For anyone planning to go ashore to a cyber cafe to upload pics of the damage, I'd suggest taking a COPY of your pics on some extra media, if at all possible.

From reports here, it sounds like RCCL is living in a pre-internet fantasy land where they think they can control the flow of information and the actions of thousands of people. If you get to the cafe and a machine gun wielding hired thug takes your CD... you don't exactly have any recourse.

Yes, paranoid. But so is an M16 toting hired hand on a dock chasing people away from a hole that has already been seen by thousands of people.

Theron

Yes, paranoid. But so is an M16 toting hired hand on a dock chasing people away from a hole that has already been seen by thousands of people.

Theron

Or....maybe they are just trying to make sure that everyone is safe and noone sneaks on board through that big hole and makes their way to the USA. Just a thought.:rolleyes:

I am glad to hear that everyone is safe and that noone was hurt.

I will admit that I am probably being a bit paranoid, however...

Theron

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is so funny but true and good advice

Man, there has been some bad mojo happening to ships lately! At least our cruise on the Grandeur is much later this year. I feel bad for you guys who were set to go sooner - I hope things work out. I kinda hope this doesn't come out on the news, as the people I invited to join us on the cruise (4 first time cruisers) may consider backing out with this news. Two of them are already a little freaked about the rogue wave thing. I know it's probably stupid, but I'm a little concerned about the future structural integrity if we do hit a huge storm. Thank goodness no one was injured.

Yes, paranoid. But so is an M16 toting hired hand on a dock chasing people away from a hole that has already been seen by thousands of people. Theron

I was amused at their attempt of "hiding" it too. I mean, there were two ships with their backs to us that watched it as it happened. I'm sure most of them got a picture and had messages posted on line before we even docked and knew about it ourselves.

It sounds as if RCCL is trying to do right by everyone. I can understand their not wanting to have this blown all out of proportion. I'm sure that pics will be available on this evenings news.

Was Donald Trump in anyway involved in "this incident"?

Given that RCL is a public company there is no fantasy land involved. Having worked in this area, CFO/Treasurer, they are obligated to make a disclosure. They are also obligated to make the disclosure accurate. Therefore they will respond once they are sure of the extent of the damage and any operational/financial implications for the company. Bet it is mentioned in the 10:00 financial call for the first quarter. Also bet they do not disclose any operational or financial info on this yet as they have not made a determination about the next cruise.

Same reason why NCL was slow to respond on the Dawn situation. The company can be held liable for not disclosing accurate information to it's investors.

Man, there has been some bad mojo happening to ships lately! At least our cruise on the Grandeur is much later this year. I feel bad for you guys who were set to go sooner - I hope things work out. I kinda hope this doesn't come out on the news, as the people I invited to join us on the cruise (4 first time cruisers) may consider backing out with this news. Two of them are already a little freaked about the rogue wave thing. I know it's probably stupid, but I'm a little concerned about the future structural integrity if we do hit a huge storm. Thank goodness no one was injured.

The hole is 5 feet above the water line. Even with the emergency repair (or permanent...depending on what they decide), I'm not worried about sailing back home. As long as they get the outside seaworthy, they can work on the inside at a slower pace. It seemed to only affect a couple of cabins. The scrape is 45 feet long, but the hole isn't.

The hole is 5 feet above the water line. Even with the emergency repair (or permanent...depending on what they decide), I'm not worried about sailing back home. As long as they get the outside seaworthy, they can work on the inside at a slower pace. It seemed to only affect a couple of cabins. The scrape is 45 feet long, but the hole isn't.

I am sailing the Grandeur in two weeks May 7th. (4th cruise) Maybe I am being naive here but 5 feet above the water line doesn't sound like a lot.

It could be that it is the Mexican Government that does not want the publicity, since we know that RCI has to dislose this accident. Maybe the Mexican gov't is afraid that the ships will stop coming to such a tiny town and they will lose revenue.

And maybe RCI is not saying anything until they know the full extent of the damage and how it will affect this cruise and the next one 4/23.

Annieeee

It does sound like they are making repairs to the ship in Costa Maya and these repairs should be adequate for longterm usage until the ship is in dry dock again.

I was originally thinking along these lines as it makes sense as Grandeur needs to make its way back to NO and how would cruising back to NO be different from cruising in general (okay there's the wear and tear aspect though).

It does make sense though to make all the repairs in Costa Maya so that the ship is back to norm ASAP.

Also if the ship is 1 day late in returning to NO...then this means the 23rd cruise is only delayed 1 day...which means the cruise will be one day less than normal....probably missing out Costa Maya ;o)

Archived