Live from the crashed Grandeur in Costa Maya

Hey Caitlyn, you must be somwehere in the room with me. I just heard the Captain's message a few minutes ago too. :)

Time for breakfast. Bye Caitlyn, wherever you are.

Hi Cindy....I thought the same thing when I saw you only posted a few mintues ago and I'm still here. Shall I shout for you? :)

THis is for anyone sailing the Granduer on the 4/23 sailing. We got good news from our travel agent. She was informed that we will be sailing, but on Sunday, 4/24. As expected, we will have a reduced itinerary. When I get more details, I will post.

The only downside is that the NCL Dream and Carnival Conquest will also be in port on Sunday. The Dream is normally at the same spot (Terminal NO.2) as the Grandeur. Glad I am not the one at the N.O. port that has to work out this logitical problem.

Glad to see a Red Sox Fan in New Jersey. I met a Sox Fan on Legend of the Seas last month who was from Philly. Doubt he was a PATS fan too. We sailed the Norwegian Dawn in December and absolutely loved it. We really enjoyed all the restaurants and eating whatever time we wanted to. Can't wait to go on the Dawn again in the future. Hope you don't hit any large waves. We would definetely sail from New York again in November or December. Our next cruise is Oct 22 on Jewel of the Seas from Boston to Bermuda and the Caribbean. Already counting the days.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

sorry to hear what happened!..glad RC is paying for the change in flights. :D

im suppose to be leaving on the 23rd... if they shorten our itinarary i wonder if they will just cut the extra day in getting back to nola or will they cut out a port?... i hope they dont cut out a port..maybe add a port thats closer???

i mean we paid for 7 days on the ship and 3 ports, they should make up for that in some way.

what if what they fixed doesnt hold up?.. i'm going to be very nervous

I just spoke with a RCCL rep. on the RCL internet site, around noon today, updates and a link to the "progress" will be reported. they warned me that the initial info, of course, will focus on the current passengers, with more info to follow.

weezl, our T/A said we would get some compensation for losing a day. If we lose a port, we get refunded the port charges for the that port.

Wouldn't be nervous about the repair. I've been involved with repairs to barge and industrial systems for many years. I understand the hole is relatively small, and the repair is straightforward. Based on my experience, the repairs welds will be inspected for integrity using well-proven methods at Costa Maya and then again at New Orleans prior to any sailings.

can they cut out a port and not compensate you for it?
Yep they sure can. They can pretty much do anything and not compensate you for it. Their terms of their contract are highly in favour of the line and not the passenger.

our travel agent hasnt called me yet.. as a matter of fact i had to call them and tell them about the crash, they didnt even know.

maybe they can let us stay at grand caymen or cozumel longer..

and i guess we will be getting our money back for our excursion in costa maya too.

I sincerely hope that RCL will at least consider giving current passangers a break on their cruise...

My mom is a travel agent - she didn't know about this either until I called to tell her about it. She commented that it seems like RCCL wants to try to keep this on the hush hush, no doubt becuase of the rash of negative publicity that NCL had as a result of the Dawn.

Call me cynical -- but my feeling is that they don't want to give away as much as NCL gave to their passangers, so they want to keep this as quiet as possible. NCL did a lot of CYA when they had their problems. I feel like RCCL wants as few people to know about this as possible.

One has to wonder if this was an avoidable accident, and that is why RCCL is keeping their lids shut on releasing a statement...

Sorry. Call me cynical. ;)

Archived