Is Carnival really a low income cruise line?

Probably is a great price. Likely a totally different ship/itinerary than what I did. I think the Jan. 1 cruises are always a bit lower since they just had the mega buck Christmas cruises.

Not only do we use a cash back card, we've found if we book through the credit card TA we get bonus cash back, if we don't use a rewards points certificate. We always put a cash back card as our sign and sail card as well (though we rarely spend more than tips on that...) Like you, we are debt free, but we use the cards for incentives.

Ah,yes. I hadn't taken the differences between ships and itineraries into account.

Do you mind me asking if you are using an AmEx card?

Thanks again for the tips!

As for whether it's a low income cruise line, I disagree.

The question is what Is reasonable for one to pay for a nice vacation regardless of what your financial circumstances are.

In my case, I consider myself an upper miiddle classer, and have trouble swallowing the cost of one of the upper cruise lines. Especially since I don't think you get that much more compared to Carnival except a more snooty class of people. In my opinion, the ship, food, service, Cabin space, excursions, etc are all the same to me (and I've sailed both Princess and Carnival). In fact, I think the food is better on Carnival.

So in the end, it's what you value as the best deal for what you get. And for me, it always ends up Carnival.

Agreed. I, too, have sailed both Princess and Carnival and prefer Carnival by far. The food on Carnival is much better, the staterooms seem HUGE when compared to Princess AND the ship doesn't close down after 10:00 pm. The last time we cruised Princess was during February and DH and I were literally one of the few people still up and about after 11:00 pm. Now, it may be a little better when the kids are out of school but DH and I are in our 50's and we were some of the youngest people on board!!:eek:

Going back to the beginning of this thread, our Walmart is dead between the hours of 11pm and 4am, besides the fact I only walk into Walmart if i have to. Our local Walmart is dark, disorganized and dirty. We took our first cruise last Oct on the Carnival Dream and I didn't find it at all like Walmart at anytime of the day or night. It was bright, clean, with lots of activities to do all day.

I would say the people on the dream were mostly middle class, didn't really run into anyone that thought they were better than anyone else and don't think we saw anyone that was panhandling on the street trying to get enough money to go. To us it was a great time and met a lot of very nice people, its kinda like your cruise family for a week. Of course there is always the strange uncle somewhere over there in the corner to keep it interesting! :eek:

Just enjoy! We are looking forward to cruise #2 Oct '12!

Thanks! I sure hope so! And by the way, I didn't think HAL was all that. Boring and yet NOT upper classy by any means! Although the destination (Alaska) was amazing, I'm curious to find out why it's "considered" higher class cruising.

I have to say HAL is still my favorite but you are right their ships are a little snoozy... but I found them relaxing. I thought the food on Carnival was comparable to HAL ... Carnival ships are a little "gaudier" but you will definitely have fun. There is always something to do and the crew was terrific too. For the $ you can't beat them and we found fellow passengers to be very nice. Enjoy!

The reality is, the other Cruise lines like RCI want to keep you on the boat to spend your money there that's why they cater more to entertainment and such. With Carnival, they are more true to the cruising game and there itineraries are better than the others. In fact you can find cruises on Carnival that will take you on a port a day, others have three or two days at sea. With the money you spend on cruising, I would much rather see the world and the ship and not just "The Ship". Also we are upper class.....

[quote name='JPTexan82']Ive done several cruises, Ive done Carnival before but 10 years ago. Yes their rates are cheaper and you kind of see it in their entertainment and quailty of food served. Also when you look around for the most part Carn vs X you can see how people dress is different.
Ive cruised on many lines Im not brand loyal. RCCL, Disney,X, Nor.[/quote]

I didn't read all the pages of this thread (so this may have been addressed), but I'm confused. You haven't been on Carnival for at least 10 years, but you know the entertainment and quality of food are reflective of the price of the cruise? How, if you haven't been on CCL in 10+ years?

I have also never seen CCL cruisers missing teeth, as you seem to suggest. And in my experience cruising CCL and RCI, passengers dressed the same. I'm not sure where your information is coming from regarding CCL passengers.

[quote name='WalkThaFreekinPlank']I really need some feedback on this topic. Me and the misses were discussing a cruise that we booked with some friends last night and heard more than I expected in the negative field about Carnival.

I have no opinion as I have never cruised before on ANY cruise line but they way they explained to me on several situations how they were treated and also the class of people on board. I am not rich by any means but we did book a very nice 7 day trip for 2 just under $5k (which I thought I was really going all in).

Not sure if many of you guys have experienced Walmart at 11pm-4am, if you haven't, it's more than your human eyes can bear.

Hope I booked the right cruise. :mad:

BTW, it is the Magic that we booked. AND they told us we should have booked Celebrity. :confused::confused:[/quote]

We have only sailed Carnival, but we found that the people who sailed on our five day (on an old ship that was really cheap) were far different than the people who sailed on our seven day cruises (on the Legend and then a B2B on the Dream). The five day clientelle were sort of redneck. So much so, I wouldn't really consider going on one that was less than seven days... Oh, and BTW, I don't even shop at Walmart. Hate that place! ;) Although, I've seen more than my fair share of women by the pool on Carnival wearing bikinis that could have been in those People of Walmart emails... I've heard awesome things about Celebrity cruiselines, but we can do 7-day B2B cruise on Carnival for the price of almost one week on Celebrity, RCL, HAL... If you've never been on a cruise, I can't imagine you will be disappointed with how you're treated. We don't stay at any hotel that treats us as good as the stewards on the ships. The Magic is brand spankin' new. I haven't been, but it's a clone of the Dream, and we sailed on her when she was less than one year old. It was a beautiful ship. The Magic will be wonderful. If nothing else, you can come home and tell your friends about what a great time you had. And then you can sail on Celebrity and have a true comparison!

I haven't read all 15 pages of this thread - but am posting to say to the OP that his friends are way off base to say that Carnival is the cruise line for low income people. You will find passengers from many walks of life. Some people who have money are still careful how they spend - my best friend's family are multi millionaires with personal jets & could spend $ recklessly. Her Mom carries a beat up purse she has probably had for decades, & they are so careful with $ they hardly take vacations.

I think many people who put down Carnival have never cruised with them, or took one short booze cruise many years ago. Heck, I've had people warn me against Carnival who have never taken ANY cruise at all! I will say the 3 day cruise I went on was an experience I don't want to repeat, & could have fit many of the bad cliche's I've heard of Carnival. So I hope your cruise is not a short one.

[quote name='reginaphalange']He's a one percent-er, don't ya know? He can probably buy his friends, so whats the point in attempting to make any on a lowly cruise message board?[/QUOTE]

A true 1 percenter would never admit it...they don't need to prove anything to anyone...

[quote name='QLUVS2CRUZ']I didn't read all the pages of this thread (so this may have been addressed), but I'm confused. You haven't been on Carnival for at least 10 years, but you know the entertainment and quality of food are reflective of the price of the cruise? How, if you haven't been on CCL in 10+ years?

I have also never seen CCL cruisers missing teeth, as you seem to suggest. And in my experience cruising CCL and RCI, passengers dressed the same. I'm not sure where your information is coming from regarding CCL passengers.[/QUOTE]

Well they can associate CCL with missing teeth because less fortunate people don't have dental...but we can associate Celebrity and HAL with missing teeth because everyone forgot to pack their dentures...

Just saying that CCL isn't the only toothless line...:eek:

OP - go and have a good time. Form your own opinion. My dude and I went on our 1st cruise just a few months ago in December and we had an amazing time! We are in our 30's and an interracial couple. We saw people from all walks of life. Did we see drunk people? Yep, while we were in the club (an entertaining bunch, I must admit!). We didn't spend a lot of time on the lido deck, but hung out at the aft of the ship and serenity. If we weren't there we were checking out shows, walking around or watching folks during the trivia games or catching the Jazz band. Ive never sailed another line so I cant compare but we had nothing short of an amazing time and met tons of very nice, personable people. I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks. Go with an open mind, relax, and enjoy. In my experience if you go looking to have a bad time - you will! Sending you good juju for an amazing 1st cruise!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I cruised Carnival Spirit to Alaska in 2010 and then I cruised RC to Alaska (Radiance) last year. I had a great time on both ... but I have to say [B]I REALLY ENJOYED my Carnival cruise![/B] I had so much fun (and to be totally honest, [B]the FOOD IS BETTER[/B] by a long shot!!):D (and if you are a trivia player, it is more enjoyable on Carnival)

As for the entertainment ... I thought it was great!

[quote name='tracyanns']Well they can associate CCL with missing teeth because less fortunate people don't have dental...but we can associate Celebrity and HAL with missing teeth because everyone forgot to pack their dentures...

Just saying that CCL isn't the only toothless line...:eek:[/quote]

Best laugh of the day! Thank you. :D

I will admit to being a bit apprehensive about my first Carnival Cruise. I had experenced X and Holland America and had heard that Carnival was "lower end" and kind of "plastic". We booked the Triumph out of NOLA because we wanted to try them and because we had our 15 year old - we'd heard it was better for kids. . I was very pleasantly surprised by Carnival.

I will say the food was probably a little bit better on X and Holland America - but not by much. The buffet food was very enjoyable and the dining room was excellent. The staff was most attentive and have nothing but good say about them. The cabin and the public areas were excellent.

Carnival is the "party boat". No question about that. It is a good "kids boat". If you want that elegance, maybe Carnival is not the right boat for you. We enjoyed watching the kids (including the ones that weren't ours)running around but not everyone does. We will cruise the other lines (Princess is looking very promising right now for a no kids cruise), but we have no qualms about cruising Carnival again.

As a matter of fact our second cruise on Carnival leaves April 1 for week. - Thats the best endorsement I know how to give.

I love Celebrity for the MDR and service, Holland America for the amazing array of Eggs Benedict choices on the Lido and the fun classes they offer, and after trying Carnival for the first time last summer, I love Carnival for the FUN! Honestly, our cruise on the Triumph last summer was some of the best fun I've had on any vacation, ever!! Right after we got home, my husband and I booked our NEXT Carnival cruise, which sadly I have to wait another month for :mad:

Oh, and if we couldn't afford it, we wouldn't cruise, on any line.

[quote name='WalkThaFreekinPlank']I really need some feedback on this topic. Me and the misses were discussing a cruise that we booked with some friends last night and heard more than I expected in the negative field about Carnival.

I have no opinion as I have never cruised before on ANY cruise line but they way they explained to me on several situations how they were treated and also the class of people on board. I am not rich by any means but we did book a very nice 7 day trip for 2 just under $5k (which I thought I was really going all in).

Not sure if many of you guys have experienced Walmart at 11pm-4am, if you haven't, it's more than your human eyes can bear.

Hope I booked the right cruise. :mad:

BTW, it is the Magic that we booked. AND they told us we should have booked Celebrity. :confused::confused:[/quote]

As far as their comments to you about "how they were treated"...I can tell you that in my experience, you will be treated very well. It is not white glove service, if that's what you're looking for. But rather, its warm, friendly and attentive service. They really do seem to try hard to accomodate.

People are just people..where ever you go. Some who struggle financially...are downright snobby or unkind or unfriendly. Some who are more affluent & blessed...are salt of the earth. The reverse is also true. The opportunity to meet and 'hang' with people you have something in common with or just plain enjoy the company of...will be plentiful, I assure you. If not, its a BIG ship.

Carnival is just a cruise line trying to cater to everyone. Like they say: [B][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Navy"][COLOR="Red"]FUN[/COLOR] FOR ALL, [COLOR="red"]ALL[/COLOR] FOR FUN[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] (I know, a bit corny, but true!) :o

So that means that you will find some low income people, some middle income people, some upper income people, but everybody will be onboard to have fun.

P.S. And yes, you may have some "People of Wal-Mart" encounters while onboard (I know I've had my share! But it is part of the fun and diverse atmosphere that makes Carnival what it is)

[quote name='LittleMiss']The reality is, the other Cruise lines like RCI want to keep you on the boat to spend your money there that's why they cater more to entertainment and such. .....[/quote]

I don't buy this at all....

[quote name='MrPete']Agreed. I never felt they were giving any kind of incentive to stay on board a ship once in port.[/QUOTE]

I do have to say that when we sailed on the Allure last year, our time ashore was minimal. We were more drawn to staying on the ship than going ashore. And I also have to say that our onboard account was MUCH higher than any other cruise we've ever taken (specialty restaurants, nursery for our son, purchases onboard, spa, etc), but we figured that before going on this cruise, and we gladly paid for it. It was a PHENOMENAL cruise!

Archived