Why posting review later? What about Now??!!

munchkin002

Is it just me? I don't understand why so many people just back from their cruise start a thread saying they will post their review at a later date?

Then after anticipating so long, they post in segments... to be continued!!??

I am always here looking at people's reviews to see which trips I may want to take next time, or about the ship I am currently booked on. I get excited to see posts about my upcoming cruise, only to be let down by these teaser reviews!!!

why???:confused:

Because every little post they can make about the cruise helps them hold onto it just a little longer. Once you post the review its done. Weird I know but its the way I feel however I did post my review just days after I came back.

I posted pretty quickly after we returned as well but did so in segments due to my limited time and the details. Strange that life goes on while we are gone on Vaca!!

I always type mine up in a Word document and then cut and paste it into the message window. That way it's all there when I post and I don't have to worry about the review being wiped out by a glitch.

I wish I had this advice last summer...I spent a good chunk of a day writing a review of our trip to Hawaii and cruise on the POA. Unfortunately, I stupidly typed directly into the Reply to Thread window. I didn't know your sign-in timed out even if you were actively typing. When I hit "Submit Reply," the sign-in screen appeared. I signed in again, but my entire review was lost! :-(

I started over again, this time in a Word document, but I couldn't recapture the flow of the first attempt. I never did post that review. There's always next year's vacation...

Think of it as a "commercial" for their review - as in "next week on Cruising with Me!"

But seriously, sometimes you need a few days to process the trip - everything you did, saw, ate, liked, didn't like...did I say ate?

It's all good - sometimes with a little extra thought the reviews can be out of this world:D

Is it just me? I don't understand why so many people just back from their cruise start a thread saying they will post their review at a later date?

I am always here looking at people's reviews to see which trips I may want to take next time, or about the ship I am currently booked on. I get excited to see posts about my upcoming cruise, only to be let down by these teaser reviews!!!

Sorry to say this, but I think one of the big reasons people do this is the same reason that they post reviews on the Cruise Line Forum instead of in Cruise Critic's Review Forum (where a review belongs :rolleyes:)...

There are many people who like the attention that they get from others...be that in the form of requests for "more of the review", to questions about their cruise, to compliments on their photos, and yes...even the sometimes heated disagreements that result.

When you post a review in the review section...nobody can comment on it. However, it is easier for people to find and enjoy since it doesn't "fall off", and they are great for research since they are grouped by ship.

Plus...when you post your review in many segments, you get a nice bump to your post count. ;)

Sorry to say this, but I think one of the big reasons people do this is the same reason that they post reviews on the Cruise Line Forum instead of in Cruise Critic's Review Forum (where a review belongs :rolleyes:)...

There are many people who like the attention that they get from others...be that in the form of requests for "more of the review", to questions about their cruise, to compliments on their photos, and yes...even the sometimes heated disagreements that result.

When you post a review in the review section...nobody can comment on it. However, it is easier for people to find and enjoy since it doesn't "fall off", and they are great for research since they are grouped by ship.

Plus...when you post your review in many segments, you get a nice bump to your post count. ;)

Wow, you have so made me not want to ever do another review!

It could just be people have a life outside of CC and wish to let others know they will be posting one upcoming (when they have time) so you can keep an eye out if you are interested in that sailing, ship or itinerary.

It also could be that they are posting as they write it and not everyone have hours at one time to do the whole review, so they do it in stages.

If someone posts a lengthy segmented review I rarely get to read past their 3rd lengthy posts, so I appreciate when they give a short summary at the beginning. Unless it is an overly entertaining review and then it's more like reading a short humerous story.

I am always here looking at people's reviews to see which trips I may want to take next time, or about the ship I am currently booked on. I get excited to see posts about my upcoming cruise, only to be let down by these teaser reviews!!! why???:confused:

When people come back from a cruise, they have laundry to do, bills to pay, mail to catch up on, email to day, and many times also have to go back to work. We're lucky they take the time to post any kind of review.

Doing it in segments helps with their time.

They want to let folks know, though, that a review WILL be coming, so they post that they'll be doing a review.

Ya but posting that you will post a review later does nothing for anybody.

As I pointed out above, yes sometimes it does if someone is looking for information on a particular sail.

For example there is a lot of interest right now on the new kids crew program. There are parents that seem almost desperate to hear from someone that was on the Gem with kids 19th-26th. So if you were really busy with life when you returned, you may not have time to answer questions or write a review so you may want to post that this is the sailing you were on and will post a review shortly, so those that were waiting for word would know that one was coming.

I don't write reviews nor if I was to write one, post that I would shortly but I can see why some do.

Also it may be a follow up from a pre-cruise post. Where someone has said let us know what "it's" like when you return. So that poster does not want others to think they have forgotten their promise.

@munchkin002 -

You actually read the reviews?? J

via iPod touch and Tapatalk.

Yes! Love to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Love to hear how some people have had the entire cruises ruined because their green beans were cold on the first night out,:eek:

and how some had the best time of there lives because they didn't have to do absolutely anything for a week!:)

Dang it, SeaShark, you kinda made me sorry I posted my super-long review over in the review section instead of here in the forum section!!!! Just kidding. I guess I'm ok getting my "attention" elsewhere.

This is your rule not Cruise Critic's rule.

I see no problem with people posting their review on the NCL board. Many times it provides a spring board for further meaningful cruise discussion. And isn't that what Cruise Critic forums are all about?

I personally post my reviews in both forums. What an ego maniac I am!;)

I greatly enjoy the reviews posted here. In the official reviews you cannot generate any discussion or ask questions. I love when folks come back and post a review. I NEVER read the official reviews because there is no interaction. That's just me. But a big thanks to those who post them here.

Since a great deal of us, myself included, do not write for a living, long reviews can be hard for me to follow. I kind of like getting a review in sections. That way I can read a shorter post now and then pick the thread up again later.

Some of the longer reviews strain my ability to follow along, so sometimes I give up half-way through and move along to something else.

I do this in other areas as well. I read a lot during the day, but I have it sectioned out. I have an audio-book going in the car, a book I read during lunch, a book I read in my recliner and another book I read before bed. So I'm usually reading 4 books at any given time.

All this to say, "I like the broken-up reviews."

It takes time to put together a review. There's life to catch up on, photos to organize, thoughts to process, etc. There could be people who will be sailing by the time I get to the review. If those people have specific questions that can be answered right away, why not give them that opportunity?

I have gotten into the habit of posting a "Just got back" thread with a brief summary of our cruise, then posting a review when it's ready. I also prep my review before I post it, though, so when I am ready to post, it doesn't get dragged out. But it is time consuming!

It couldn't possibly be that some people like the opportunity for feedback or discussion about their experiences :rolleyes:

Or, you know, they might like to be helpful to others. I'm not saying there aren't attention hogs out there but I don't think the majority of people who post reviews are in it for that reason.

Have you never read one of those reviews that you wanted to comment on? Nothing that was blatantly wrong that really should be corrected so that inexperienced cruisers reading it don't get the wrong idea? Nothing that may be helpful to that reviewer on a future cruise? It's nice to have a one-stop-shop for reviews, yes, but I personally find a forum where there's an opportunity for discussion and more perspective to be a lot more useful.

I greatly enjoy the reviews posted here. In the official reviews you cannot generate any discussion or ask questions. I love when folks come back and post a review. I NEVER read the official reviews because there is no interaction. That's just me. But a big thanks to those who post them here.

Exactly!! :)

I usually post mine in the review section. When we did Rome, Turkey, Cairo, I actually posted live and it was fun because people offered advice about our next port and asked questions while the answers were fresh on my mind.

I like to read posts for trips I am going to take because I have questions myself. Next week we are on the Jewel with several family members and I know we will have a blast! I can't wait for my 5 year old grandson to sail past the Statue of Liberty!

Archived