sea kayaking

NoobCruise

We're booked on the Westerdam in September and looking at the shore excursions. We'd like to do a kayak tour. Our options are the Wilderness Sea Kayaking Adventure in Sitka, Eagles Island Sea Kayaking in Ketchikan, or Tatoosh Island Sea Kayaking in Ketchikan. Is one location or tour better then the others?

While I am sure those are good options I think you should consider a company called Southeast Sea Kayak. They have a great trip to orcas island. We have been on that trip and saw many bald eagles, seals, etc without many other people. We actually have booked this trip again in 2012. Even though they are not affiliated with the cruise companies you will be sure to get back to the ship on time and they have many different times available leaving you the ability to explore Ketchikan as well.

While I am sure those are good options I think you should consider a company called Southeast Sea Kayak. They have a great trip to orcas island. We have been on that trip and saw many bald eagles, seals, etc without many other people. We actually have booked this trip again in 2012. Even though they are not affiliated with the cruise companies you will be sure to get back to the ship on time and they have many different times available leaving you the ability to explore Ketchikan as well.

Which port does Southeast Sea Kayak serve? And do they teach you how to kayak? We're newbies to kayaking, and are in our 50's, so I'm going to need some hand-holding!

Which port does Southeast Sea Kayak serve? And do they teach you how to kayak? We're newbies to kayaking, and are in our 50's, so I'm going to need some hand-holding!
They're in Ketchikan. We're in our 60's and newbies, but they tell me we have nothing to worry about, so we're game. I think they're used to newbies. :D

How about in August?

I have gotten very picky for "good weather" trips. So, no, I didn't book ahead my last August trip, and had no trouble getting space that day, via an early morning direct call from the ship.

BUT- and a big "but",. I have kayaked several times in Alaska, and travel there for weeks EVERY year. Kayaking is a "fill in" tour for me, not the priority the first trips were.

You are going to have to figure out where your desires fall.

I don't book kayak tours in Sept. Weather is a big issue and these trips go out in cold and rain, which is a miiserable trip. Generally kayaks are pretty available with walk up space.

I think this is a case of "to each his own". We're big outdoors people - rain, 'shine or snow. We often hike and kayak in the rain. We snow ski in blizzard " white-out" conditions. but we're also big weather buffs. The worse the storm, the more likely we are to grab our cameras, jump in the truck and go for a drive - like storm chasers. Some of my all time favorite hikes were done in the rain in the back country of Yosemite (our backyard). You see things in bad weather that you would never see otherwise. If you have the right outdoor gear, you can be comfortable no matter what the weather. we often tent camp in the rain. Unless an excursion is cancelled, the weather won't hold us back. what may ruin someone elses day may be one of our best days, so I definitely ignore the advise about excursions in the rain. Been there, done that, and will definitely do it again.

BUT, if you're not "in" to the outdoors like we are, then you should probably skip these kinds of activities in the rain. I think most people would probably not enjoy it in bad weather.

Thanks. I booked a sea kayaking excursion in Juneau, but it's one of those that you can cancel within 24 hours (I think - I'll find out for sure on board). I have another excursion booked just in case, so I think I'll wait to see what the weather holds and cancel the appropriate one!

Archived