Problems on the Magic???

5waldos

The problem was a big barge parked across, not giving enough room to turn. At times they back in because of wind.. The thruster was broken on the inaugural from Gal. when we sailed, but has been repaired a while.

Hey Sharon!! Y'all have fun on the Magic. I loved her when I went in Dec. :D

I plan to. It's only Colin and I going. We booked on Feb 11. It was a late decision. The price was so good we couldn't pass it up. We even got a Spa Interior. I plan on enjoying the Spa for my birthday.

Sharon

Why didn't you just check his blog before spreading a false rumor... one click and you would have known he posted NO SUCH THING. bizarre.

A thousand pardons- my OP asked what might be going on. Hardly the imistake of the century- and it is unusual for the ship to be docked this way. And although the thrusters were supposedly fixed a while ago, there have been questions raised. I did return a few posts later and admit that I didn't see anything that John had posted.

• "I'm hearing..."
  • "I read..."
  • "I saw a link..."
  • "They said..."

Don't you love these? If your post something that starts with the above then link your source.

Galveston in the winter is subject to tidal patterns that exacerbate with a north wind. Today we had one of those, and more often than you think the cruise ships dock the "other" way. The Conquest did it and the Magic does the same thing.

Mix in the channel traffic from this morning and the safest bet is to dock as it is now. Upon departure the tide will be higher, the wind has died down and the other vessels in the channel will be moved.

At least that's what I read, they said, I saw a link and am hearing...

• "I'm hearing..."
  • "I read..."
  • "I saw a link..."
  • "They said..."

Don't you love these? If your post something that starts with the above then link your source.

Galveston in the winter is subject to tidal patterns that exacerbate with a north wind. Today we had one of those, and more often than you think the cruise ships dock the "other" way. The Conquest did it and the Magic does the same thing.

Mix in the channel traffic from this morning and the safest bet is to dock as it is now. Upon departure the tide will be higher, the wind has died down and the other vessels in the channel will be moved.

At least that's what I read, they said, I saw a link and am hearing...

And I love even more being chastized for my misinformation- which I did correct- and then given an incorrect explanation. Here is what actually

happened

"he Captain had to dock portside side today as you will see from the webcams because when we arrived this morning there was a huge car container ship across the bay and she had a large fuel barge tied up next to her. This meant there was no turning space so those who like to watch on the webcam will see the unusal sight of the turn being done on departure."

And please note that it is acknowledged as an "unusal [sic] sight".

Ive seen ships do it both ways. I dont see anything unusual about doing it either way.

Who knows why sometimes they back in and sometimes turn around first.. how early they get there?? Is it windy?? who knows.

Even if someone just got off the ship, they wouldnt have the captains ear and know why.

Ive seen ships do it both ways. I dont see anything unusual about doing it either way.

Who knows why sometimes they back in and sometimes turn around first.. how early they get there?? Is it windy?? who knows.

Even if someone just got off the ship, they wouldnt have the captains ear and know why.

Sorry- forgot to note that this was what John Heald posted about an hour ago as an explaination of what happened this morning. And he did have the captains ear, and was acting as the captains voice.

Come on, what is the big deal!! I boarded the Magic on Feb.5 and it was docked portside. When we cam back on Feb.12 we were dock starboard side. I was in an aft balcony and watch the tugs towing us in on Feb.12. On feb 5 I called my granddaughters and told them which webcam to look at and I was waving at them. Probably nothing is wrong, but has to do with wind and tides or anything blocking the channel.

A thousand pardons- my OP asked what might be going on. Hardly the imistake of the century- and it is unusual for the ship to be docked this way. And although the thrusters were supposedly fixed a while ago, there have been questions raised. I did return a few posts later and admit that I didn't see anything that John had posted.

5waldos, you are just going to have to take a public spanking here on the boards for speculating. LOL :D How dare you!:)

5waldos, you are just going to have to take a public spanking here on the boards for speculating. LOL :D How dare you!:)

Mea culpa mea culpa. I realize that I am the first and only person here on CC to speculate about something. For this I hang my head in shame. :rolleyes:

Archived