Differences between Med cruises and carib cruises

Marysunshine

I'be been on dozens of cruises but mostly the caribbean and alaska. Going on our first eastern med cruise on NOS in June. Would be interested to know the differences. I've heard all kinds of things like the europeans don't dress up for dinner, food menus are different, i.e., no lobster, all kinds of stuff. If anyone has done this cruise I'd appreciate hearing what I might look forward to that I am not familiar with. Thanks in advance.

Med Cruises are generally very port intense cruises....up early....tour all day....back close to sailaway time....We had mtd and ate every nite around 7:15. Food is similar to other cruises but yes, there is no lobster. Some different dishes (tapas, etc.) but very good in my opinion. We loved our Med cruise ( i have also done Alaska and Caribbean several times)....This was much more of a sightseeing cruise then a relaxing cruise. We certainly looked forward to our sea days just to recoup for the next port. You will love it!!

I see you are from Brooklyn, NY....I was born off Flatbush Avenue.. My uncle owned Cliffords Bar.....My brother was a cop in Manhattan....we moved to PA when I was 9 but still remember Reece(sp) Park :)

I've read some reviews from last year and people saying they still got lobster, so I am not sure if that is always true. I am also wondering if you can make online reservations for specialty dining on med cruises. Ours isn't leaving out of Spain but still wasn't sure if we could make them.

I'be been on dozens of cruises but mostly the caribbean and alaska. Going on our first eastern med cruise on NOS in June. Would be interested to know the differences. I've heard all kinds of things like the europeans don't dress up for dinner, food menus are different, i.e., no lobster, all kinds of stuff. If anyone has done this cruise I'd appreciate hearing what I might look forward to that I am not familiar with. Thanks in advance.

I can tell you only what I know based on the two European cruises I've taken. We sailed out of Venice on the Voyager and although it was an Italian port, most of the passengers were American, and yes, everyone did dress up for dinner. So bring your nice clothing; you'll be glad you did! Now about the food. I wondered the same as you, though I think I may have approached from the opposite standpoint. I wanted there to be European food, not American. I wanted escargot, not lobster. (I got it too. :D) You might like to read the question I posted about it. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1359835

I see you are from Brooklyn, NY....I was born off Flatbush Avenue.. My uncle owned Cliffords Bar.....My brother was a cop in Manhattan....we moved to PA when I was 9 but still remember Reece(sp) Park :)

Off topic but I had to respond: Its Jacob Riis Park in the Rockaways - once you go over the bridge to get to the beach you are in Queens.

Some of this varies widely by cruise line. OP, you need to be much more specific. And probably the best place to research is on the RCI board.

Some cruise lines spend a lot of money shipping in American oriented cuts of beef, etc, so their menus continue to appeal easily to American cruisers. On our Med cruise there was still lobster.

There was still considerable adherence to dress code on our cruise. There were many tuxes and suits. And we had about 20% Aussies on our cruise, so can't apply "Europeans do this or don't do that".

Be careful here, sterotypes and generalizations can lead you astray quickly.

#1 European women definitely dress up for dinner - and are very fashionable.

#2 On my two past Med. cruises on RCI - we met people from all over the world: from South Africa to Australia to Dubai to England and every place in between. Americans only made up about 40% of the passengers. But mostly everyone speaks English on the ship.

You may want to ask this on the RCI section to get answers specific to your cruise.

In general, European cruises are much more about sightseeing than the Caribbbean ones are. Depending on the itinerary, you will be visiting some of the great cities of the world.

Port intensive........usually not much time in each port.........you will feel very tired after a Med cruise.........but that is all part of the experience:p. I am so glad we took a 2 week bus tour in Europe, that was exhausting enough......but we saw much more than we ever would have on a cruise..........

Good luck to you and happy cruising.

The main differences: 1. They are port extensive with little beach time and far more costly excursions, shopping, tours, etc.

2. Emphasis on historical areas and venues.

3. Don't worry about whether or not they serve lobster. Regardless, it will be frozen and not fresh off the boat from Maine. I'd rate any lobster I have had on cruises to be way below par. Come to my state in the summer or fall on a cruise and eat fresh lobster;)

I agree with whoever said Med cruises are not about relaxing. I've been on several and would go again on several more. There are many interesting sites, historical and scenic that are different in every port. Yes, there are some beaches but I prefer to see the cities and historical sites. Not possible to pick a favorite but one should not miss places like Santorini and Epheseus and Rome and Naples for the ruins and...well you get the idea. Yes, be prepared to spend more on excursions in Europe. Some cities like Rome, you can just take the transportation and go 'on your own' as just walking around is fascinating. I end up seeing something different each time I go back to a port.

BTW, I have taken bus trips in Europe and prefer the cruising...on the bus trips you travel by day whereas the cruise ships travel at night and i think you end up with more time in the city when you are there one full day. Just my opinion....

We've only been on one Med cruise but would do it again in a heartbeat.

This cruise wasn't at all about the ship (although it was fine), it was about the ports and excursions. Every day on shore was magical, the only change we would have made was we took a tour in Sicily to Taormina and then up to Mt. Etna. If we had to do it over again, we would have dropped the Mt. Etna part and just stayed in Taormina for the full day, it was just too ambitious and not enough time in either place.

We saw many more men in tuxes than any other cruise we've been on in years. I think just like the men in our group, we found it easier to rent a tux onboard rather than pack a suit. I wore 3 different cocktail dresses for the 3 formal nights, if we were to go again I'd cut one out and wear one twice. While people weren't dressed to the nines every night, they were more dressed up than on a warm weather cruise (we went in October) and we did notice people, including ourselves, repeating clothes.

Day wear was pants, shirts and jackets or sweaters. Many of our photos have me with my sweater tied around my waist. We had lovely weather almost the entire time, only one hour of rain in Rome.

Take a few extra days and tack on pre and post cruise days, you will be glad you did.

Some of this varies widely by cruise line. OP, you need to be much more specific. And probably the best place to research is on the RCI board.

Some cruise lines spend a lot of money shipping in American oriented cuts of beef, etc, so their menus continue to appeal easily to American cruisers. On our Med cruise there was still lobster.

There was still considerable adherence to dress code on our cruise. There were many tuxes and suits. And we had about 20% Aussies on our cruise, so can't apply "Europeans do this or don't do that".

Be careful here, sterotypes and generalizations can lead you astray quickly.

The OP did post this originally on the RCI boards and then someone moved it... I agree it shouldn't have been moved. I know my question will likely not get answered now :(

The OP did post this originally on the RCI boards and then someone moved it... I agree it shouldn't have been moved. I know my question will likely not get answered now :(

Artemis- I looked back- didn't see a question from you. What was it?

Thanks for the other info.

There are quite a few differences, but to be very blunt its a bit like night and day. Caribbean cruises are often one long party with a lively nightlife, folks fighting for good deck chairs during the day, going to beaches in the ports, etc. In the Caribbean the ship is the main focus and ports are a nice distraction from shipboard life. But in the Med it is just the opposite. The cruise is about the ports and the ship is a vessel to get you to the next port. Med cruises tend to attract a slightly older crowd with a bit more financial resources who are so worn out from the long port days that they are ready for bed by 11. There is always some kind of late night crowd, but a majority of passengers will be in bed early so they can be up early for the next port. So we always tell folks that when they book European cruises look very carefully at the itineraries before you even consider the cruise line or ship. Pay particular attention to the port times (more hours are good) and days of the week they are in certain ports. For example, if you want to see the Vatican you do not want to be docked in Civatavecchia on a Sunday. If you are going to Istanbul its good to avoid Sunday, Mon and even Tuesday because key places are closed on those days (closings vary by day). We also prefer European cruises that begin and end at different ports (i.e. Barcelona to Civitaveccia, Civitavecchia to Istanbul, etc) since by adding a few days at the beginning and end you can get some good land time in two places (and countries).

Also keep in mind that European cruising can be much more expensive then a Caribbean cruise. This is even more true for those that take the oft overpriced cruise ship excursions in most ports. Of course Europe can also be done on your own for a lot less money...but that does require a fair amount of pre-trip homework and some "travel common sense."

Hank

Today, 02:55 AM

jletsgo

: How fun to find you out there. Been in Brooklyn all my life and my grandkids told me I am not allowed to sell this house where so many of them grew up. :)

Once a Brooklynite, always a Brooklynite.

My cruise is on RCCL Navigator of the Seas out of Civitaveccia. We are spending three days in Rome prior to the cruise. This is a high school graduation gift for my granddaughter who is 17.

I am not sure why they moved this post, but I have no control.

Mary, we are on the Solstice in June, roundtrip Barcelona. We have a bunch of 12 hour ports and so my thinking is I may not even go to dinner every night, I may do room service or some of the alternate venues some. Of course with me, my energy is low, and so I want to see as much as I can during the day and then crash every evening.

This is my first Med cruise too.

That's wonderful. Next time you are in Brooklyn, can you say hi to my Uncle Robert. :rolleyes:

Archived