Starting to worry I'm not going to see glaciers!!!

salsagrl75

Hey there,

So I booked a cruise and the itinerary is as follows:

Departing from Seattle, Washington; Ketchikan, Alaska; Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska; Juneau, Alaska; Skagway, Alaska; Alaska Inside Passage; Victoria, British Columbia; Seattle, Washington

It's all paid and finalized so changing is not an option.

Based on what I have been reading lately I am starting to worry I booked a lemon since I didn't pick one going to Sawyer/Hubbard glacier! Is this true?

I did book a flight tour to taku lodge so we could see some scenery from the air....

Can someone who's done some Ak cruising advise? I am hoping there's still some nice scenery on this cruise and I didn't mess up completely :(

Thanks!

Well you will see Taku glacier via your floatplane flight.

Being you won't change- I am only going to give you the facts.

It appears you are saling in May?? It is VERY likely you will not get within glacier viewing if you sail Tracy Arm. I don't know what Celebrity cpts do, but if they alter routes and sailng Endicott Arm, you would see the Dawes Glacier. Again, I don't know the specifics, only generals about some cruiselines altering routes.

IF available, I would suggest you consider a Tracy Arm add on boat tour, these are in the $200 range, but grossly superior to any cruise ship sailing.

the other point, is your Seattle round trip itinerary. This, overall is the least scenic of Alaska cruises, with two open ocean sea days, your first and last. So, plan on getting some scenic sailing viewing time, on the other days, especially sailing in/out of Juneau and Skagway, which is extremely scenic.

Your next trip, try a different itinerary to add on to this experience. :)

Thanks for the reply - I didn't realize I was booking the least scenic option when I booked it, now I feel stupid - but oh well I am sure we will still have fun!

Which port would I book a tracy arm boat tour out of?

And yes sailing may, celebrity.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply - I didn't realize I was booking the least scenic option when I booked it, now I feel stupid - but oh well I am sure we will still have fun!

Which port would I book a tracy arm boat tour out of?

And yes sailing may, celebrity.

Thanks

Check your shore excursion lists, would be listed under Juneau or a separate Tracy Arm tour entry.

You can see the Mendenhall glacier if you get off the ship in Juneau and either take to local bus or one of the excursions, private or otherwise. You won't see the twin Sewyer (sp?) glaciers in Tracy Arm Fjord unless you do the optional excursion. On Hal they load right from the ship so not sure what Celebrity does.

Hey there,

Based on what I have been reading lately I am starting to worry I booked a lemon since I didn't pick one going to Sawyer/Hubbard glacier! Is this true?

Thanks!

FYI: Sawyer Glacier is in Tracy Arm.

FYI - the sail into Tracy Arm Fjord is absolutely breathtaking! I found it almost as wonderful as Glacier Bay and personally think it's underrated on this board. We didn't make it all the way in to see the Sawyer Glaciers either but sailing this fjord made us feel like we were in New Zealand. Even with the icky weather we had it was still magnificent.

Here are some pics:

IMG_0135.jpg.9a19c0d27b2db20d69e12f71b73f691b.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg.67792b206ba3ba8275b7d558a0478e00.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg.7d8e52a4963977348016c85690f0a678.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg.266be247e87390c18a1481af84d6d1a1.jpg

Hi

I cruise on Hal Amsterdam 14 day June10-24... If you go to Mendenhall Glacier I took local bus. I walked to down the Nugget trail you will be stunned to see all the ice in the water. It was raining when I got there but the bus drive said the sun does come out and it did. My heart was going wild to see the iceburgs . I am big On Iceburgs. we went to Tracy and ohh all the Ice and Iceburgs were Well lets say I was in tears and I was going crazy from from what I was seeing. We had lots of Ice. Lots of animals. we could not get all they in But what I saw was outstanding. On one of my next trips to Alaska I would love to take one of those small boats in.

Mary

Mendenhall is beautiful, but there are bears. When we were there we got off a tour bus just as a bear ran across the parking lot a few feet from us. I don't think I would do the hike necessary from the city bus stop. Really check it out. We have been to Alaska 6 times and each time we have seen the glaciers shrink further and further back. Very sad.

If you are doing a plane tour, you will see a lot. Have a wonderful trip.

It was a great trip:D!!! Add a glacier landing and you are good to go.

framer

but you can't just sit in front of a glacier for hours watching the wild life while waiting for the glacier to calve. Honestly what's the point of seeing a tidewater glacier if not to see the big chunks of ice falling into the sea and go BOOM?

I guess if given no other choice, a Glacier Bay flight & landing might be it, but I just don't think its worth it.

If I do a flight tour of glacier, I go to Talkeetna, and fly Mt McKinley :) but that's off topic.

salsagrl75 we are doing a similar itinerary - lv from Vancouver, day at sea, Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm, Ketchikan, day at sea, Seattle. I didn't realize it was "less scenic" either - and our cruise line (RCCL) doesn't have any excursions available for Tracy Arm, or any from Juneau for it either.

I'm basically going to do the best I can with what we have. :) I plan on doing a little hiking in Juneau (Nugget Falls, East Glacier Trail) to see Mendenhall Glacier.

FYI - the sail into Tracy Arm Fjord is absolutely breathtaking! I found it almost as wonderful as Glacier Bay and personally think it's underrated on this board. We didn't make it all the way in to see the Sawyer Glaciers either but sailing this fjord made us feel like we were in New Zealand. Even with the icky weather we had it was still magnificent.

Here are some pics:

I agree with you 100%. I felt the Tracy Arm Fjord was spectacular and I am looking forward to finally going back in June on the Amsterdam and then also will be doing the Adventure Bound back into Tracy Arm the next day.

Nobby

salsagrl75 we are doing a similar itinerary - lv from Vancouver, day at sea, Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm, Ketchikan, day at sea, Seattle. I didn't realize it was "less scenic" either - and our cruise line (RCCL) doesn't have any excursions available for Tracy Arm, or any from Juneau for it either.

I'm basically going to do the best I can with what we have. :) I plan on doing a little hiking in Juneau (Nugget Falls, East Glacier Trail) to see Mendenhall Glacier.

Excursions into Tracy Arm from Juneau usually started by 830am, and your ship most likely gets into Juneau too late to catch it.

If you were looking for Tracy Arm excursion right off your cruiseship, I seem to remember BQ mentioning only HAL offers such things. You can call Allen Marine in Juneau to ask whether they contract with RCCL.

If you were looking for Tracy Arm excursion right off your cruiseship, I seem to remember BQ mentioning only HAL offers such things. You can call Allen Marine in Juneau to ask whether they contract with RCCL.

Just about all the cruiselines now offer an add on Tracy Arm ship excursion.

Excursions into Tracy Arm from Juneau usually started by 830am, and your ship most likely gets into Juneau too late to catch it.

The Amsterdam does Tracy Arm on a day separate of the Juneau port day. However, Adventure Bound would HAVE to be operating a second trip those days, since the 8am port time won't make the regular tour schedule.

In the past they also did not refund if you miss it. I had no trouble getting walk up space, which is a suggestion, if you can't get yourself going, have mobility issues etc.

The Amsterdam does Tracy Arm on a day separate of the Juneau port day. However, Adventure Bound would HAVE to be operating a second trip those days, since the 8am port time won't make the regular tour schedule.

In the past they also did not refund if you miss it. I had no trouble getting walk up space, which is a suggestion, if you can't get yourself going, have mobility issues etc.

The Adventure Bound leaves at 8:30 am so I am booked for that on my coming Amsterdam cruise. I was told to call them when I dock and if I can't make it because of not being cleared in time they will refund the money. The reason I took this chance is because AB leaves from the same dock the Amsterdam pulls into and since we are in Tracy Arm the day before we anchor near Juneau the night before so there should be no reason we are late. I would not cut any that close if I was on another ship as both of my previous cruises I got to Juneau late.

Nobby

The Adventure Bound leaves at 8:30 am so I am booked for that on my coming Amsterdam cruise. I was told to call them when I dock and if I can't make it because of not being cleared in time they will refund the money. The reason I took this chance is because AB leaves from the same dock the Amsterdam pulls into and since we are in Tracy Arm the day before we anchor near Juneau the night before so there should be no reason we are late. I would not cut any that close if I was on another ship as both of my previous cruises I got to Juneau late.

Nobby

Have your cellphone ready then for that morning getting into Juneau :) As soon as you get into cellphone range you can make calls to cancel or ask them to wait a few minutes if necessary. Them cell signals travel a fair distant over open water.

Here are some pics:

Thank you for posting! I just booked a cruise that does not go see Glacier Bay either, but does the Tracy Arm Fjord instead. This is our first cruise to Alaska and we will be sailing with Princess in September. After reading some of these boards, I was also concerned, but your post boosted my spirits about my trip again! Thanks!

However, my cruise says we just cruise Tracy Arm w/out stops.....I'm seeing that there are excursions for Tracy Arm.......???? If you don't stop...how would one take an excursion???

My cruise does not have any Tracy Arm excursions either. Depending on how long you are going to be in Juneau you might be able to book something from there.

I am also encouraged by the people that said Tracy arm is underrated...I choose that specific cruise for a reason and I am sticking to it! Plus from the videos I can find on you tube I am more than happy with the scenery we are going to see!

Thank you for posting! I just booked a cruise that does not go see Glacier Bay either, but does the Tracy Arm Fjord instead. This is our first cruise to Alaska and we will be sailing with Princess in September. After reading some of these boards, I was also concerned, but your post boosted my spirits about my trip again! Thanks!

However, my cruise says we just cruise Tracy Arm w/out stops.....I'm seeing that there are excursions for Tracy Arm.......???? If you don't stop...how would one take an excursion???

I'm assuming you are on Star Princess?

http://www.princess.com/find/excursion/exDetails.page?tourCode=JNU-660&t=A&exType=S

Yes Star Princess on Sept 9th....1st trip to Alaska, so all will be new and exciting to me nonetheless! =) Thanks for the link. I have not looked at the ships excursions yet. Does anyone know if any local tours are available in Juneau for Tracey Arm? (if that's even possible, I'm not sure) And I'm assuming when the ship is "cruising" Tracey Arm, it doesn't go too far back, which is why they offer a secondary excursion??? Admittedly, we just booked this cruise, so I've not done too much research yet on what to see and where. This is part of the fun for me.....the research and anticipation!

Archived