Norwegian Cruise Line - Unfair - Read before Book Again

rickpipes

I feel bad for you and its not fair but all cruise lines do this. I agree they shouldn't be allowed to. When they post a cruise and someone purchases it, then it should become the cruise line's problem to fix.

I agree. This practice of booking charters and just canceling everyone with previous bookings is terrible. Yes, I know all cruise lines do it, but that does not make it right. Charters should have to book way in advance and should be required to submit requests to cruise lines for first crack at certain itineraries before they are released to the public for bookings. That way, when they charter the ship, no one is bumped from their vacation plans.

LOL..I hate to break it to you but this is not BIG news and would surprise no one. Chartering of ships does not only happen on NCL...this is a 'cruise thing' not an 'NCL thing'

Listen up Newbies to cruising: With cruising comes risk. Read up. Do your homework. It will help you to avoid disappointment.

Ships get chartered out from under you

Ships sometimes have mechanical issues that take them out of service (rarely) or totally change your itinerary (not rare)

Storms can change start dates/end dates or itineraries

Other things that can change your cruise:

Uprisings/political discord/strikes (dock workers for instance)

Jumpers

Medical emergencies

Rescues

Epidemics of contagious diseases

There are dozens of things that can screw up your cruise. Only you can know if cruising is worth that risk to you. This is NOT an NCL thing.

Doesn't make it right...and any cruise line should handle it with customer service first and foremost.

I agree. This practice of booking charters and just canceling everyone with previous bookings is terrible. Yes, I know all cruise lines do it, but that does not make it right. Charters should have to book way in advance and should be required to submit requests to cruise lines for first crack at certain itineraries before they are released to the public for bookings. That way, when they charter the ship, no one is bumped from their vacation plans.

The unfortunate part is should and would are 2 different words. If NCL was the only cruiseline to do this, then the threat of losing customers would be to the cruiselines they know would not do this to them. Since this is an industry wide accepted practice. They will choose the charter, making much more money than the loss of a few cruisers that will leave simply because they are angry because it happened to them on that line.

As you can see by the posts, most are aware that this is a risk but if they wish to cruise they will not leave a specific line because they all do it and therefore you run that risk no matter which you choose.

Your best defence against this is being proactive in your planning and even perhaps have a back up plan. Otherwise the only other option is, give up cruising.

As you can see by the posts, most are aware that this is a risk but if they wish to cruise they will not leave a specific line because they all do it and therefore you run that risk no matter which you choose.

I agree, but CC posts are generally by repeat, informed cruisers. While I know it could happen, it would still upset me if it did. I feel really bad for first time cruisers, putting all that work in to their vacation plans, just to have it canceled by the cruise line for a private charter. Regardless of what's in the lengthy contracts or what we know here, they can't be expected to know this could happen when they book their cruise.

Doesn't make it right...and any cruise line should handle it with customer service first and foremost.

"Doesn't make it right" Well I'm not thinking that anyone on here would say it was right, fantastic or great. But it is what it is.

As for handling with customer service first. You do have to remember that their charters and charter organizers are also their customers to give service to. But there charters book 100s+ at a time instead of a cabin here and there.

If someone gave you the choice of pleasing one large company, repeatedly that is booking ie 300 customers @ $540,000 or 50 individual customers @ $90,000 that may or may not return again. Where would you lay your chances on.

While I know it could happen, it would still upset me if it did..

Don't get me wrong. My first words to this poster was. "Sorry this happened and that really sucks" Even knowing it could happen, I would be more than upset, I would be devastated.

Just because I'm aware that this could happen and totally understand in the business world, why it does would not stop me from being totally bummed.

But the whole context of that post you quoted, was to point out that what "should" happen and what was "going to" happen are 2 different things. And all the should in the world doesn't look like it's going to change the industry.

But the whole context of that post you quoted, was to point out that what "should" happen and what was "going to" happen are 2 different things. And all the should in the world doesn't look like it's going to change the industry.

True, but isn't that what we are good at on Cruise Critic....solving the world's cruising problems? ;)

True, but isn't that what we are good at on Cruise Critic....solving the world's cruising problems? ;)

:D Gosh I hope so. Except the only "cruising problem" I have is I can't cruise often enough ;)

What a cute puppy!

I try whenever possible to book air thru SWA because they don't have change fees. Awesome!

Thx VV, she's a 2 yr old Shihpoo rescue we got about 1 1/2 weeks ago.

I've never had any luck getting SWA out of syracuse for my cruises for a decent price. But I always have a back up plan for my vacation, in case something like this does happen to us. I cruise in the winter so my embarkment cities are sans-snow. It certainly wouldn't be as awesome as my well planned, much anticipated cruise. But at least all wouldn't be lost.

What a cute puppy!

I try whenever possible to book air thru SWA because they don't have change fees. Awesome!

I second the cute puppy statement and to use SWA because of no change fees... and no luggage charges.

I would be livid if this happened to me. Once is one thing, but twice is ridiculous. If I were you I wouldn't give NCL my business anymore. Companies should try to "make good" and keep their customers happy. There are lots of other cruise lines out there. I know everyone here is saying "This is an industry practice. Everyone does it." I don't think it's THAT common for cruises 7 months out to get chartered like this... TWICE. I'm not saying they should give you a free cruise or anything, but 50 dollars OBC?

I agree with the other poster who said to find another cruise that fits with the time frame. Then cancel the NCL cruise, get your deposit back. This way you don't have to deal with getting new flights, etc.

Sorry that all of this happened to you and your family. NCL has been really good to me and they have my business (not exclusively). I'd go Celebrity or RCL if they pulled this bad business with me. Twice?!?!?!? Yeesh.

-aj

I would be livid if this happened to me. Once is one thing, but twice is ridiculous. If I were you I wouldn't give NCL my business anymore. Companies should try to "make good" and keep their customers happy. There are lots of other cruise lines out there. I know everyone here is saying "This is an industry practice. Everyone does it." I don't think it's THAT common for cruises 7 months out to get chartered like this... TWICE. I'm not saying they should give you a free cruise or anything, but 50 dollars OBC?

I agree with the other poster who said to find another cruise that fits with the time frame. Then cancel the NCL cruise, get your deposit back. This way you don't have to deal with getting new flights, etc.

Sorry that all of this happened to you and your family. NCL has been really good to me and they have my business (not exclusively). I'd go Celebrity or RCL if they pulled this bad business with me. Twice?!?!?!? Yeesh.

-aj

Just as a clarification, the first cancellation would have been more than a year out (Blake Shelton), and the second cancellation would have been formally communicated in January... for cruises starting in October. CC knew about the cancellations on December 22nd, thanks to a rabid KISS fan.

It's a bit more than 7 months of notice.

"Doesn't make it right" Well I'm not thinking that anyone on here would say it was right, fantastic or great. But it is what it is.

As for handling with customer service first. You do have to remember that their charters and charter organizers are also their customers to give service to. But there charters book 100s+ at a time instead of a cabin here and there.

If someone gave you the choice of pleasing one large company, repeatedly that is booking ie 300 customers @ $540,000 or 50 individual customers @ $90,000 that may or may not return again. Where would you lay your chances on.

You're missing my point. Let me slow it down...the cruise line should make the customer whole for any additional costs as a result of the change that is in no way the result of the customer's actions.

To the OP - I hear you......Two Charters - Yikes !! :eek:

My (albeit simple) thought would be that anyone who has already Paid in Full for a Cruise should be allowed to sail on the Charter regardless, no price increase - If they want to. Could be a lot of fun (if) the Charter is for something they like, i.e. Music, Sports, Star Gazing, Movie Theme, etc.

I had my Epic Itinerary changed from a Western Caribbean to Eastern Caribbean sailing Nov 2012. We opted to switch out and booked the Pearl out of NY the same month. Then they switched the ships. I spoke to a NCL supervisor and they could not give me any good reason on why they switched the ships. I was told I could just cancel my cruise. I emailed NCL at 10PM that night night stating my case and by 10AM the next morning I had a phone message to please call them. I just let them know in firm but fair manner that I was not happy that a NCL supervisor told me I could cancel my cruise with out penalty. That was the resolution they offered. The staff member I spoke with was very apologetic and he upgraded my cabin on another sailing from an inside cabin to a balcony cabin. So they do care. It was very wise of them to do this as I am a frequent passenger on their ships. If they did not show me any consideration for my loyalty I would of been gone.

You're missing my point. Let me slow it down...the cruise line should make the customer whole for any additional costs as a result of the change that is in no way the result of the customer's actions.

It's OK, you don't have to slow it down, I got your point, I just don't agree with your point.

But thats OK 2 people are not always going to agree, it's what makes the world interesting.:)

My (albeit simple) thought would be that anyone who has already Paid in Full for a Cruise should be allowed to sail on the Charter regardless, no price increase - If they want to. Could be a lot of fun (if) the Charter is for something they like, i.e. Music, Sports, Star Gazing, Movie Theme, etc.

Well the OP is not past final payment, so that wouldn't apply. But I like your suggestion, as long as the customer was not going to be charged more because of it. Since charters are more expensive than the average cruise price that passengers pay individually.

That option would be nice, but then again yes it would depend on the charter. Even partial charters can sometimes take over the ship and take away from the average cruisers enjoyment (closing dining venues, lounges etc)

Frankly as a relatively new cruiser, I never even considered that this was a possibility in my previous 4 cruises with NCL. I never book my airfare with NCL because they are unable to tell me what my flights are until only a few weeks before the cruise. There are rarely direct flights from my home base so I would prefer to arrange my own flights and determine which airlines and airports I will have to deal with. Since we rarely book more than a 2-3 months before a cruise, would this make a rescheduling less likely? I know if this happened to me, I'd be really upset.

Frankly as a relatively new cruiser, I never even considered that this was a possibility in my previous 4 cruises with NCL. I never book my airfare with NCL because they are unable to tell me what my flights are until only a few weeks before the cruise. There are rarely direct flights from my home base so I would prefer to arrange my own flights and determine which airlines and airports I will have to deal with. Since we rarely book more than a 2-3 months before a cruise, would this make a rescheduling less likely? I know if this happened to me, I'd be really upset.

From what I've watched with charters since I've been on CC, usually it's 6+ months out on a norm for a charter to take over the whole ship.

But regardless to whether a new cruiser knows or not. Regardless to how far out it is chartered. It definately is a strong case for re-evaluating the need for travel insurance that will cover airfares, hotels etc. And the new cruiser would not have to know about charters to cover themselves with appropriate travel insurance.

As pointed out in one of the posts above, many many things can disrupt a cruise. I seriously thought I was a well seasoned traveler until I was introduced to cruising and discovered things I would not have even thought about with land vacation, made the need for a lot of flexibility on a cruise.

Six of us from Connecticut sought to cruise for the second time on Norwegian. After much discussion, we settled in on a Western Caribbean Cruise in October and made our reservation.

NCL cancelled us, not once, but twice - pulling two sucessive ships out and instead chartered them for private cruises. Yes, two successive ships.

We were told to rebook and for our troubles, they offered a measly $50 onboard stateroom credit.

Well, here's the thing - now airfares have jumped and now our airfare will run us, oh, around $400 more per couple.

We sought redress from the Corporate Offices but was told not once but twice -- too bad, for you. We have no obligation and you get no more than $50 per stateroom.

I can understand the choice to charter the ships but, honestly, is it fair that NCL to make more money - screws over folks with confirmed reservation and then hides it head when told of the extra costs now being incurred by three time cruisers? I think not.

I faxed a letter to the CEO today but, honestly, I expect no real help from a Company that does not care.

If you go over to the RCL forum you will see that the very same thing happened to another couple...they were not even offered the 50 OBC...Im saying its right, but I think all the cruiselines operate much the same...

Your suggestion wouldn't work for the OP- he hadn't paid in full;). If it's a full ship charter then the ship belongs to the organization that booked the charter and it's up to them who to sell the cabins to and for how much, NCL would have no say in it. I understand the OP's frustration but that doesn't mean that I agree that NCL owes him anything.

A frustrating situation to say the least. We always go with the idea that if the cruise gets cancelled we will spend the time at or near the port of embarkation. That being said I would not enjoy a week in NY in February and would probably eat that airfare or pay the cost to change it. I've always been of the thought that most charters are for the larger, newer ships but that probably really isn't the case all the time.

Archived