Do I need Passport to Leave Ship?

I am amazed 72 people felt the need to answer a question when is was perfectly answered by the first reply

Well, for starters the OP kept reopening the question, apparently not believing the advice originally given. And your contribution to the thread is what?

On out recent trip to Bermuda the captain told us to take our passports off the ship with us!;)

You sure the Captain did not say something like be sure to bring your passport OR a photo ID? At most ports they request (if not require) you to have some sort of photo ID along with your seapass (ship ID) as you debark. I have never heard of a Captain requiring people to take their passports with them - especially on a cruise where people are not even required to bring a passport with them. My guess is you misunderstood what was said, as otherwise it truly would be bizarre and exceedingly uncommon.

You sure the Captain did not say something like be sure to bring your passport OR a photo ID? At most ports they request (if not require) you to have some sort of photo ID along with your seapass (ship ID) as you debark. I have never heard of a Captain requiring people to take their passports with them - especially on a cruise where people are not even required to bring a passport with them. My guess is you misunderstood what was said, as otherwise it truly would be bizarre and exceedingly uncommon.

I agree...as you state, you're advised to bring a photo ID...it can be the passport but doesn't have to be...and as you say there's no way they can require a passport when you go ashore, since no passport is required to take the cruise.

• 3 years later...
I have never cruised before.. do the same rules apply or have they changed? Can you still cruise on Norweigan without a passport?

That depends on your cruise itinerary and whether you're a US citizen. You'll have to provide details to get an accurate answer.

Sorry, yes I am a US citizen and we are going from Boston to Bermuda. Has anyone done this recently? Thx.

You'll need a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state, city or county). A hospital-issued birth certificate can't be used.

You'll also need a government-issued photo ID such as a drivers license.

The passport should be considered a cost of the trip, just like port parking or airfare or tips or whatever.

While, in theory, I agree with your assertion- don't scare folks away. It is a one time every ten years fee that needs to be factored in. LOL

The cost changes on passports based on what you need included. For sake of argument, someone said a passport is a minimum of $135.00. So that's basically $13.50 a year. That's probably less than most people spend on dining out in a day.

PS--a cruise that costs $50 a day is not a cruise I'd want to be on. I'd rather stay home than sleep in a cell and eat prison slop.

I somehow doubt you have been in prison, slept in a cell or eaten prison slop. Be careful what you wish for....

While, in theory, I agree with your assertion- don't scare folks away. It is a one time every ten years fee that needs to be factored in. LOL

The cost changes on passports based on what you need included. For sake of argument, someone said a passport is a minimum of $135.00. So that's basically $13.50 a year. That's probably less than most people spend on dining out in a day.

When my family started cruising passports for the 7 of us would have set us back between $800 and $900- for a 4 day cruise. Obviously had we needed them we would have either come up with a way to pay it or found a different vacation. We looked at the risks, determined they were small and that we were comfortable with the little risk there was and decided to wait to get passports until we needed them for the type of travel we were undertaking.

Or less than one specialty cocktail in their favorite bar on the ship. ;)

She can still get home, there just are extra steps that need to be taken that take time and can be a hassle.

All costing much more than the original passport would have cost in the first place.

Edited by SantaFeFan

And in most cases extra expenses would be covered by good travel insurance.

You make a very good point. But, I tend to think of my passport AS a form of travel insurance: it insures that I will be able to get home in an emergency, from the nearest airport, if necessary. :cool:

I do understand some folks' hesitancy to buy a passport -- especially if they only think they will need it for one cruise, or are purchasing them for a whole family. But, the cost of a passport is minimal, compared to what you are spending on the entire vacation. ;)

You make a very good point. But, I tend to think of my passport AS a form of travel insurance: it insures that I will be able to get home in an emergency, from the nearest airport, if necessary. :cool:

I do understand some folks' hesitancy to buy a passport -- especially if they only think they will need it for one cruise, or are purchasing them for a whole family. But, the cost of a passport is minimal, compared to what you are spending on the entire vacation. ;)

It can certainly be looked at that way and the same decision making process for getting a passport is used in deciding to get insurance. For us we could accept the small risk of not having a passport for the cruises we took since our future travel plans were not defined, whereas the risk wasn't zero so we made sure we had travel insurance in the unlikely event something did happen. (And now that we have passports we will still be getting travel insurance because even with a passport the risk of substantial expense is still present.)

And in most cases extra expenses would be covered by good travel insurance.

If people claim they can't afford the small cost for a passport, do you really think they will spend money on travel insurance? I rather doubt it.

Personally, I wouldn't travel out of the country without either. There is way too much at stake if something goes wrong.

Edited by SantaFeFan

If people claim they can't afford the small cost for a passport, do you really think they will spend money on travel insurance? I rather doubt it.

Personally, I wouldn't travel out of the country without either. There is way too much at stake if something goes wrong.

In any event either decision is theirs to make, for whatever reason they want to use and doesn't affect you or I in the slightest. Even if they do forego insurance the odds are still heavily in their favor that nothing will go wrong.

I know it is not of much help to this particular thread or the OP, but for those concerned about the costs of the passports- perhaps if you are not planning to travel again for awhile you could spread out getting the passports for a larger family so they are not so big an expense all at once. With current computer calendaring being what it is, you can set up reminders for when you need to renew.

I know it would be easier to get them all at once, but it might be reasonable to spread them out a little bit just to ease the burden.

Now, if you need it right away- then just eat the cost once and do it. But if you can wait, just save your money for a bit and get the passports as you have funds available.

In any event either decision is theirs to make, for whatever reason they want to use and doesn't affect you or I in the slightest. Even if they do forego insurance the odds are still heavily in their favor that nothing will go wrong.

Most certainly. Every body has the right to make their own poor decisions. There is no law against it that I know of. :D

No one is saying they aren't allowed to make their own decisions. Why is there always at least one person who always has to remind us of that fact? Is the need to lecture us so irresistible that they can't avoid the temptation of wasting our time reminding us of what we already know? :rolleyes:

As in many things in life, we each must weight the benefits against the risk of anything we do. I don't have flood insurance on my home. I don't live anywhere near a flood plain. But, if we have another Noah's Ark like event with 40 days and 40 nights of torrential rain, we just might wish we had gotten that extra level of insurance. ;)

Edited by SantaFeFan

Most certainly. Every body has the right to make their own poor decisions. There is no law against it that I know of. :D

No one is saying they aren't allowed to make their own decisions. Why is there always at least one person who always has to remind us of that fact? Is the need to lecture us so irresistible that they can't avoid the temptation of wasting our time reminding us of what we already know? :rolleyes:

As in many things in life, we each must weight the benefits against the risk of anything we do. I don't have flood insurance on my home. I don't live anywhere near a flood plain. But, if we have another Noah's Ark like event with 40 days and 40 nights of torrential rain, we just might wish we had gotten that extra level of insurance. ;)

LOL, I think that's the best passive aggressive response that I've ever read on Cruise Critic, well done!:) Maybe the reminder is needed because too many people seem to forget that basic truth and that while a passport is the undisputed king of travel documentation it isn't necessarily the best choice for a lot of people for a lot of different reasons (and yes, sometimes those reasons won't make sense to anyone else).