Ginger Root Vitamins

sukyrin

I'll just toss in here that you should discuss with your doctor whether it's a good option to take ginger. There are contraindications for using ginger if you are on blood thinners, or aspirin. Or if you've had "Gallstones, Recent Operation, Diabetes, or Blood Clotting Disorder." http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-156062/ginger-root-bulk-misc/details/list-contraindications

While you do need to check with your physician or pharmacist for any interactions with other drugs you are taking, ginger is certainly one of the first lines of defense. There are other longer posts about seasickness, but you are aware of the side effects of the patch. The patch is really strong medicine and best reserved for someone who has tried the alternatives and needs something substantially stronger. While the patch is the "trendy thing," it really needs to be evaluated carefully. I would try the ginger. Typically you don't need to start it much before you leave, and even starting it the morning of departure should suffice. If that doesn't work, then move up to the OPC remedies -- Dramamine, Bonine, etc.

I bought these the other day to start taking before my cruise in April.

I would like some feedback from anyone if they have tried these.

The bottle says to take 2-4 capsules a day. I started with just one on the morning and one at lunch.

Have these vitamins helped any of you ?

We take the Ginger pills all the time and you need to start about 2 weeks out and never had Sea Sickness.

Ginger is not a vitamin, but it has been clinically proven to reduce or prevent motion sickness.

Can you cite any clinical study to that effect? As far as I know, there is no clinical evidence that ginger root can prevent motion sickness. There is some weak clinical evidence that it may reduce two specific symptoms (vomiting and cold sweats), but no preventive effect, and although vomiting may be reduced, the sensation of nausea is not.

A great article/study can be found that I thought was pretty interesting called the Treatment of Motion Sickness done by Matthew Sutton, M.D. and Anne Mounsey, M.D. What I found interesting about this study is that it is very similar to what people are saying on here which is that ginger either works or it doesn't. But some other studies are cited below. Ginger has been used and recommended to oncology patients and pregnancy induced nausea patients for many years due to their positive effects. So overall it is not to say that everyone should use ginger or everyone should use the scope patch because as it turns out what's good for the goose is not always good for the gander. Being in the medical field I have learned that sometimes more simple and basic OTC treatments are more effective for some people after other treatments have failed. So it's not saying any one person is right. It is just nice to have a lot of different options and opinions so we have choices.

Manusirivithaya S, Sripramote M, Tangjitgamol S, et al. Antiemetic effect of ginger in gynecologic oncology patients receiving cisplatin. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2004;14:1063-1069

Borrelli F, Capasso R, Aviello G, et al. Effectiveness and safety of ginger in the treatment of pregnancy-induced nausea and vomiting. Obstet Gynecol. 2005;105:849-856

Sharma SS, Gupta YK. Reversal of cisplatin-induced delay in gastric emptying in rats by ginger (Zingiber officinale). J Ethnopharmacol. 1998;62:49-55

Smith C, Crowther C, Willson K, et al. A randomized controlled trial of ginger to treat nausea and vomiting in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 2004;103:639-645

Spinks A, Wasiak J. Scopolamine (hyoscine) for preventing and treating motion sickness Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011(6):CD002851.

I swear by ginger for motion sickness and I got it practically every time I am even a passenger in a car.

For a cruise, I take ginger capsules, ginger chews, ginger tea, and a blend of essential oils that I make. There's also an essential oil blend called "motion eze" or something along those lines that I put on my temples. The wrist bands are also great to have!

There's also candied ginger that should work better than the ginger chews, but the flavor is too strong for me. You can find all of this at Whole Foods, if you have one close to you.

I bought these the other day to start taking before my cruise in April.

I would like some feedback from anyone if they have tried these.

The bottle says to take 2-4 capsules a day. I started with just one on the morning and one at lunch.

Have these vitamins helped any of you ?

If you are looking for a motion sickness cure, I took one the morning before boarding, then one before dinner and one before breakfast. It worked fine for me, and I get motion sick easily. You can also take one if you start to feel bad, because unlike the drugs, ginger works even after you start to feel sick. Just make sure you take some water when you take a pill.

Okay, I just realized this thread is three year old. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Edited by Cuizer2