Just booked my first Transatlantic cruise!

VernaF7449

As a solo, of course ( a friend of mine wanted to travel with me, but she could not take the time off).

I could not beat the deal - 13 days on Independence of the Seas, leaves Southampton Nov 22 and lands in Ft Lauderdale Dec 5. All of the sea days! My last couple of cruises I barely got off the ship.

I have the vacation time, plus I could cash in FF miles to get to London.

I got a great deal on a balcony as a solo, plus a generous OBC. I was also looking at Celebrity Reflection around the same time, but this cruise was a lot pricier than Independence.

Oh you will love the TA as a solo! At least I did, last year on the Epic from Miami to Barcelona. I have booked the inaugeral cruise of the NCL Breakaway next April for my next TA. I loved all the sea days, most relaxing cruise ever. Plenty of time to do whatever you want to do and still plenty of time to relax. Thats what I really loved...time to do what I want! Have a blast!:)

I did my first TA as a solo last Oct. on RCI Mariner of the Seas from Rome to Galveston. Though I had friends on board, I love that I can go off and do my thing and be by myself whenever I want.

I have done 3 solo cruises now, and I have 5 more booked.

I don't think I could ever have a roommate again..LOL!

• 1 month later...

I'm on that cruise (grin)! It will be my fourth TA with RCI solo; first cruise on this particular ship. Booked a Promenade room just for the heck of it. I adore RCI as a solo traveler and "have books, have iPod, have knitting" I am all set. Plus I have found that RCI seems to be reasonable about opening times on the fitness center so that I can get in my treadmill time early in the morning.

I did use ChoiceAir to book my flight to London since i will be coming in from SF rather than home.

I did a TA on Holland America a couple of years ago. Even though I was with friends, I was so bored, I nearly got off in Funchal. But I did a TA on Costa last December, for the price I paid, I decided I couldn't have had a better vacation. Two TA's on Cunard in January- nice trips, but rather expensive, so cost/benefit was questionable.

So if you're on the right ship, it'll be a great vacation. If you're not, it's a really, really long time.

So if you're on the right ship, it'll be a great vacation. If you're not, it's a really, really long time.

I am looking forward to the opportunity to RELAX and stare at the ocean go by for hours - plus the naps!

I am not worried about boredom., but that is me...

I am looking forward to the opportunity to RELAX and stare at the ocean go by for hours - plus the naps!

Sounds great to me! I have done 3 solo's, the longest was 14 nights and I loved every minute of it! Do what you want, when you want or do nothing at all... Wishing you a lovely time!

I so agree! I have friends who think sea days would be really boring but I love the idea that I don't have to go anywhere or do anything I don't want to. One of the things I love about cruising is that there are numerous things going on IF I want to participate or I can (like you) sit and stare at the ocean. Fantastic!

I so agree! I have friends who think sea days would be really boring but I love the idea that I don't have to go anywhere or do anything I don't want to. One of the things I love about cruising is that there are numerous things going on IF I want to participate or I can (like you) sit and stare at the ocean. Fantastic!

I learned a long time ago that I plan my vacations for myself, not for family/friends who tend to have something to say even though they are not going (or even invited). I agree that there is no need to be bored on the sea days - there's many options or I can relax and read which I never seem to have enough time for at home.

I'm on that cruise (grin)! It will be my fourth TA with RCI solo; first cruise on this particular ship. Booked a Promenade room just for the heck of it. I adore RCI as a solo traveler and "have books, have iPod, have knitting" I am all set. Plus I have found that RCI seems to be reasonable about opening times on the fitness center so that I can get in my treadmill time early in the morning.

I did use ChoiceAir to book my flight to London since i will be coming in from SF rather than home.

Excellent!

I had enough miles to fly Boston to London, I get in the night of November 20, will spend the night at Heathrow airport then make my way to Southampton Nov 21, to wander around there the day before I board Independence.

Verna, have you gotten active on the roll call for your TA? I'm on my second TA on the Navigator OTS next November from Barcelona to New Orleans. I've found that by being on the roll call I get to know some people, arrange to go on private tours with them and even (this time at least) arranged to sit at the same table at dinner with a few.

This way I get to enjoy my solitude but also know a few people who are also on the cruise.

And sea days! I love them.

Verna, have you gotten active on the roll call for your TA? I'm on my second TA on the Navigator OTS next November from Barcelona to New Orleans. I've found that by being on the roll call I get to know some people, arrange to go on private tours with them and even (this time at least) arranged to sit at the same table at dinner with a few.

This way I get to enjoy my solitude but also know a few people who are also on the cruise.

And sea days! I love them.

ILoveScotland:

Yes I am on the roll call - very active roll call which is great. There are several cruise activities planned, plus dinner in Southampton the night before the cruise. I have not started to think about port excursions - we stop in Lisbon (I have been there before), Azores (first for me) and Nassau (too many times there). I suppose I should!

Verna

ILoveScotland:

Yes I am on the roll call - very active roll call which is great. There are several cruise activities planned, plus dinner in Southampton the night before the cruise. I have not started to think about port excursions - we stop in Lisbon (I have been there before), Azores (first for me) and Nassau (too many times there). I suppose I should!

Verna

Have any of the others on the roll call planned private excursions? I always enjoy those the most.

Beth

Archived