Formal night attire?

FLIP FLOP GAL

Is this appropriate? The jacket was never purchased, as, this outfit was worn as a groomsman in a wedding?

gift-2146867653-1.jpg

Hi Flip Flop Gal,

Looks nice, BUT technically a jacket is required to be worn in the MDR on Formal Nights (Dress Code says Tuxedo or Suit... a suit includes a matching jacket)

If one show up without a jacket they may turned away, or they may handed one to use (all I can say is ICK to the latter possiblity... much better to pack one's own jacket IMO)

Cheers!

Ok. As for a woman, a pant suit, does that require a jacket as well I wonder?

Hi Flip Flop Gal,

By definition a woman's pant suit is 2 pieces... a top and pants that match.

A suit, includes a jacket (be it for a man or a woman).

Sorry, but Celebrity's Dress Code is pretty clear on what is what...

Formalwear

Ladies - Cocktail Dress, Gown or Dressy Pantsuit

Gentlemen - Tuxedo, Suit or Dinner Jacket* with Slacks

*NOTE - Technically when it comes to Formal Wear, a Dinner Jacket is a specific kind of formal wear... a WHITE Tuxedo Jacket. Other jackets such as Sports Coats and Blazers are not considered formal wear (although they are often accepted for entry into the MDR)

Cheers!

Is this appropriate? The jacket was never purchased, as, this outfit was worn as a groomsman in a wedding? ...

While the vest outfit pictured looks dressy and nice it isn't formal and does not meet the formal dress guidelines on Celebrity. Chances are you will have no problems but the guidelines call for a Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket (a dinner jacket is a special formal jacket and not a sport coat or blazer).

There are a lot of discussions here on Cruise Critic about the need for formal wear. The closest thing there is a concensus on this hotly debated topic is that there is some percentage of men who do not dress in a way that meets the formal dress code - depending on whose estimate you read this might range anyplace from a very small percentage to over 50%. (In my opinion it is around 10% or so). The other observation that seems common is that while a sport jacket or blazer doesn't meet the dress code it will get you into the main dining room and that you might (but not always) be turned away if you don't have a jacket.

Unfortunately, I don't recall any discussion of actual experiences from people wearing only a vest so I have no idea if someone dressed as you pictured would have an issue in the main dining room or not - although my best guess would be that they'd be fine. Unfortunately the staff don't rely on my best guess.

My husband was fine in the MDR in a shirt and waistcoat (vest) on the last formal night of our med cruise last year.

We had decided not to do formal nights that cruise as his formal wear is full Highland dress which is very warm to wear, we went to Tuscan Grille for the first formal night and our table mates (three couples who we had never met before) missed us so much (they said) they spent six nights pleading with us to go to formal night!

With some reluctance because he did not feel correctly dressed (a personal thing) we went, fully expecting to be turned away, he wasn't and none of the staff blinked an eye. We had a lovely evening :D

I can see that the written guidelines don't allow for a sport coat on formal nights. Practically speaking, does Celebrity turn people away if they are wearing a sport coat. My experience with other cruise lines that have similar written guidelines (Princess and HAL) is that they allow sport coats.

No...a woman does NOT need a jacket on formal night....Not really sure what they mean by "pantsuit" since they went out in the 70's! Some women will wear evening pants (silk/satin/flowy material) with an evening top...something sparkly (that you wouldn't wear to Wal-mart!) and heels or dressy shoes. No jacket required.

This is where women get even with men....at the beach, men don't need "tops"...women do! So, for formalwear, men need jackets, and women don't!

Is this appropriate? The jacket was never purchased, as, this outfit was worn as a groomsman in a wedding?

gift-2146867653-1.jpg

Why would you purchase the above items of clothing without the proper coat? Yes, you will probably get away with it, but know it is not proper formal wear. Nor is it proper business wear.

I can see that the written guidelines don't allow for a sport coat on formal nights. Practically speaking, does Celebrity turn people away if they are wearing a sport coat. My experience with other cruise lines that have similar written guidelines (Princess and HAL) is that they allow sport coats.

If they did they would probably be turning away at least 10-20% of the men - which isn't the case.

Why would you purchase the above items of clothing without the proper coat? Yes, you will probably get away with it, but know it is not proper formal wear. Nor is it proper business wear.

Because for the younger folks these days, it is very popular to dress in slacks and a vest...just look at photos for stores such as Express, J-Crew, Macys, etc. Definitely a younger generation thing (which I am a part of).

It's not for everyone, so, no negative comments welcomed. Thanks though! :)

My son (18) wore a similar outfit in black last year on our cruise, he looked smarter than a lot of the diners in the MDR on formal night ;) and it was appropiate for his age and some how cost more than a tux :confused: his Pa and our friend wore their tuxes.

Wow, at my company this would be considered to be dressed to the nines. I suspect there is a generation gap issue here.

I think it looks very elegant.

Why do people keep harping on formal night dress. Celebrity is not going to turn anyone who is nicely dressed away....and the more "formal" dining venues Murano, Tuscan Grill, etc the dress is very nice casual or whatever they call it officially. Wear what you want...you will not be alone as long as you are neatly dressed. Yes, many wear the "typical" tuxedo, many of which are very out of date in styling but that's a different issue. There is a smattering of strange colored formal shirts. A large number of guests wear suits and some, at least 10% in my estimation, wear sports jackets or blazers. Yes, I am in the 10%...it's my choice....and actually we try to avoid formal nights in the MDR because the food isn't special that night, I hate baked alaska and I have no desire to eat small dried out fresh water lobster tails thinking it's "elegant". We generally eat at a specialty restaurant on formal nights because the food is better, the atmosphere is better and we can be comfortably dressed....and yes, we always eat at each specialty restaurants at least once on each cruise so why not do it on formal nights.

That's my 2 cents....I'm sure it makes no difference to anyone, but at least if you read this post, you've had a brief respite from the clothing/rule enforcers.

Just as the OP mentioned, it was a wedding outfit. I can only assume that a jacket was neither required nor desired.

My 2 cents. You'll have no problem whatsoever eating in the MDR on formal night.

Why do people keep harping on formal night dress. Celebrity is not going to turn anyone who is nicely dressed away....and the more "formal" dining venues Murano, Tuscan Grill, etc the dress is very nice casual or whatever they call it officially. Wear what you want...you will not be alone as long as you are neatly dressed. Yes, many wear the "typical" tuxedo, many of which are very out of date in styling but that's a different issue. There is a smattering of strange colored formal shirts. A large number of guests wear suits and some, at least 10% in my estimation, wear sports jackets or blazers. Yes, I am in the 10%...it's my choice....and actually we try to avoid formal nights in the MDR because the food isn't special that night, I hate baked alaska and I have no desire to eat small dried out fresh water lobster tails thinking it's "elegant". We generally eat at a specialty restaurant on formal nights because the food is better, the atmosphere is better and we can be comfortably dressed....and yes, we always eat at each specialty restaurants at least once on each cruise so why not do it on formal nights.

That's my 2 cents....I'm sure it makes no difference to anyone, but at least if you read this post, you've had a brief respite from the clothing/rule enforcers.

Love your post! I mean, let's be honest...we're all going on a cruise, not too much to complain or worry about!! Everyone where what you want and have a great time, I'm going to! :):):):):)

FFG That outfit is class and I am sure whoever will be wearing it will look $1m

I would love to carry that look but I am probably a little bit old at 48 and a wee bit on the heavy side but I would certainly not make any adverse comment if I was/will be dressed up to the nines and one of my table mates wore that outfit.

Hope no one objects and I cant wait to see him looking top drawer!!!

I have my own formal outfit that I hope will turn a few heads :)

One wee question. Will it only be on formal nights that I will be required to wear a tie.

I dont really want to pack another dress jacket if I can avoid it and I would rather just wear a button down shirt without the jacket and tie.

FFG That outfit is class and I am sure whoever will be wearing it will look $1m

I would love to carry that look but I am probably a little bit old at 48 and a wee bit on the heavy side but I would certainly not make any adverse comment if I was/will be dressed up to the nines and one of my table mates wore that outfit.

Hope no one objects and I cant wait to see him looking top drawer!!!

I have my own formal outfit that I hope will turn a few heads :)

One wee question. Will it only be on formal nights that I will be required to wear a tie.

I dont really want to pack another dress jacket if I can avoid it and I would rather just wear a button down shirt without the jacket and tie.

TO HAPPY CHAPPY (I smile every time I write your User Name)

No need for Jackets or Ties other than Formal Night in the MDR.

Smart Casual is the norm in all the other venues even on Formal Night.

Casual in the Buffet all the time. Of course you can be uber-casual if you hang out in your Stateroom (lol, someone recently saying they order room service and hang out in their cabin on formal nights in their Birthday Suit... :eek:... in which case I advise having a robe handy when room service comes knocking :rolleyes: )

Cheers!

Archived