Semi-formal night on Celebrity...capris?

basil1

I have a pair of black capris that have almost a sateen finish but not exactly. If I pair them with a silk dressy halter top and some rhinestone sandals will that be OK for a semi-formal night on Celebrity? I know it would be fine for Carnival or RCCL, but not sure about Celebrity.

Thanks!

Cruising to Bermuda in 2 weeks!:)

Basil

Hi:) I have sailed Celebrity 5 times. I prefer dress slacks or long skirts and pretty tops for informal nights.

(the skirts I speak of are not formal) just long...with a less formal feel to them.

I would probably wear that capri outfit for one of the casual evenings. But then again, even on casual nights I prefer to "dress up" a bit:)

Cate, which cruise were you on?

I love X:D

I would have to second Lois on this. I just think that capri length is more casual in look than a full length pant. Informal/semiformal on Celebrity is a bit more dressy than on most other cruise lines.

Lois, we were on the Crystal Symphony. The capri's I wore were white satin with a pink and white fitted top with sparkley things on it and pink strappy sandals. It wasn't casual at all and perfectly appropriate and I saw others in outfits far more casual than that. Cate

Hi Cate:) I believe Crystal has a different type of dress code as I know they are considered a true luxury line. I have not had the opportunity to sail with them but from all the things I have read, the ships are much smaller and they have their own type of dress. I am sure you looked very pretty:).

I still stand by my comment for Celebrity though. I would wear that outfit on a casual evening and something a bit dressier for one of the informal evenings.

Actually, the look was fabulous. Celebrity is less "formal" than Crystal or HAL for that matter. I guess that's why everyone is different and entitled to their opinion.

I think you misunderstood Lois. She was not putting down Crystal. We all know that is a more expensive line- what Lois was talking about was that the dress code was more casual on Crystal- that you don't have to"dress" for dinner. I think Jane said she had been on Crystal so I guess you and Jane would know better about that then I would. Do you "dress" for dinner on Crystal?

I know we looked into Cruise West (another upscale cruiseline) before we took our Alaska cruise. On Cruise West you do not "dress" for dinner. Everyone wears shorts or whatever. No formal night either. we could not afford Cruise West ourselves as the cruises STARTED at $5000 a person. I guess I probally will never cruise Crystal either. As it is I can only afford to cruise once a year.

As far as capris-my opinion is the length of them. Cropped pants look nice to me and I know they come in nice materials where usually the shorter capris are in more casual materials.

I know I have a fairly dressy cropped pantsuit in linen that I wore on a casual night. I am 5' 4" tall. I saw a woman who was like 6' tall in the same pantsuit. It was much shorter on her-which where it looked proper for dinner on me-looked much more casual on her. I just do not think the capris are barely below the knee are proper for dinner-I mean just a couple of inches shorter and they are bermuda shorts-but that is just me-others can do what they want.

Hi Cate:)

I was not putting down Crystal. (Thanks MomofMeg;) )

Cate, I bet you looked lovely. What I meant was (and sometimes reading tone on the internet is so hard to do)..what I meant was that I know Crystal is a Luxury Line but from what I have heard you don't have to get as dressed up.

I have not sailed with them but that is what I have heard. That it is more of a "Country Club Feel". I am sure your outfit looked lovely.

If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me:) I have been wrong plenty of times before.

Oh, I have sailed HAL before too. In my opinion Celebrity is more formal than HAL. But then again my HAL experience was not good so I might be a bit bias in favor of X.

Mom, actually Kitty (Darcie) has sailed on Crystal many many times. She might have another opinion too:)

Crystal is actually quite formal and enforces the dress code throughout the ship after 6pm.

The two luxury lines that are country club casual are Radisson and Oceania. They do not have any formal nights.

I, too, found X to be more formal than HAL, and really enjoy the ambiance they create on board.

Hi Caviargirl:) thanks for the input. Maybe I have been thinking of those 2 cruiselines.

I was under the impression Crystal was the same way. Told you I could have been wrong;)

And I love Celebrity and Cate you are correct~different cruiselines for lots of different people:)

As far as capris-my opinion is the length of them. Cropped pants look nice to me and I know they come in nice materials where usually the shorter capris are in more casual materials.

I know I have a fairly dressy cropped pantsuit in linen that I wore on a casual night. I am 5' 4" tall. I saw a woman who was like 6' tall in the same pantsuit. It was much shorter on her-which where it looked proper for dinner on me-looked much more casual on her. I just do not think the capris are barely below the knee are proper for dinner-I mean just a couple of inches shorter and they are bermuda shorts-but that is just me-others can do what they want.

I am 5' 3" so capris are really ankle pants on me. They actually hit about 2" from my ankle. I was going to wear them with a silk top that I got from Express. It's halter style but dressy. After reading this I am confused:confused:

Basil, 2 inches from your ankle? That is almost an ankle pant;).

I am sorry if we confused you:(

If you want, take a peek at my pictures below. All but one cruise is on Celebrity and they should give you an idea of what I wore in the evenings.

Momofmeg,

Nope, I've never been on Crystal. You're thinking of Oceania which I've been on twice and yes, Oceania is "Country Club Casual" which basically means a nice pair of pants or skirt with a nice top. Both the outfits that Basil and Cate described would fit perfectly into the Oceania mode of dress on any night. No one would enter the dining room for dinner in khaki's, polo shirt & topsiders....well, very few would, anyway.

I've also been on Celebrity and HAL. I find the crowd on Celebrity to be better dressed.....more chic and the crowd on HAL to be older and conservatively dressed. Celebrity, IMHO, has more style and fashion at night.

I'm staying out of this thread about wearing capri's in the evening. I hate them and think they make everyone look shorter and fatter whether it's day or night! :)

Jane

I just returned from the Mercruy yesterday, so my recall is still pretty good. I agree that Celebrity dress is much more formal than the other lines.

I had some uncertaintly as to what the dress would be like and overpacked!!...this time it worked to my advantage. The first casual night I remember saying to myself "this is causual night?" The ladies in general seemed to dress up no matter what the dress code was for each evening. But really, I think the less casual dress was the preference and not a requirement. I found myself dressing more formal than casual each evening just for the fun of it. My husband joined in the fun as well and wore a jacket each evening. There certainly were many women who wore capris with a fancy tops and nice sandles on the semi formal nights. It all comes down to personal preference.

The age group seemed to range from mid 40's and up. Not many 20-30ish guests. This, I believe was the reasons for the less casual attire....

I was quite happy with the ship and the "fancy" dress... It made the cruise experience quite fun.

Janet

The original question was: I have a pair of black capris that have almost a sateen finish but not exactly. If I pair them with a silk dressy halter top and some rhinestone sandals will that be OK for a semi-formal night on Celebrity?

This wasn't a question about one cruise line over another but rather if capris whether it was okay for a semi-formal night. This asked for an opinion, and the discription above seemed appropriate. It wasn't about one cruise line over another and shouldn't be. If YOU think the outfit is appropriate, then it's appropriate for a semi-formal night on any cruise.

Clearly some like capri's, other's don't. A little common sense here. If you like them and they look good on you wear them. If you don't like them don't wear them.

If you think they make you look short and fat then they probably do so don't wear them.

You should wear what you like.

Cate, I don't think anyone was trying to upset anyone.:(

I get the feeling our replies have annoyed you. Sorry if that is the case.

It is all about helping each other. Sure, common sense is a good thing.

Quote:"A little common sense here"

But asking for advice on a fashion board is also a good thing:) that is what we are all here for.

Question...I believe someone mentioned that Crystal is quite formal and enforces their dress code after 6PM...What does 'enforce' mean? Do they send you back to your cabin if you are not dressed to specification?:confused: I would hate to be the ship employee with that job!

The original question was: I have a pair of black capris that have almost a sateen finish but not exactly. If I pair them with a silk dressy halter top and some rhinestone sandals will that be OK for a semi-formal night on Celebrity?

This wasn't a question about one cruise line over another but rather if capris whether it was okay for a semi-formal night. This asked for an opinion, and the discription above seemed appropriate. It wasn't about one cruise line over another and shouldn't be. If YOU think the outfit is appropriate, then it's appropriate for a semi-formal night on any cruise.

Clearly some like capri's, other's don't. A little common sense here. If you like them and they look good on you wear them. If you don't like them don't wear them.

If you think they make you look short and fat then they probably do so don't wear them.

I disagree. IMO the cruise line is relevant and I pack differently depending on whom I am sailing with. For Carnival, dressy capris would be fine for a formal night!

I agree that one's own good taste should ultimately prevail but cruise line dress codes do influence my packing. If I am on a Celebrity cruise I will pack differently than I would for NCL.

I held my tounge for a while, but here goes. Please read this carefully & slowly b/c I am NOT trying to insult anybody & I don't want it to mistakenly come across that way. Also, I've never been on Celebrity so this is not a 1st hand answer.

Anyway, my opinion about the suitability of this outfit will depend on the material. I can't really get a good picture in my head from your description (that's a flaw in me; I can never "see" clothes from words). The picture in my head looks cheap / slutty and I would not wear it on semi-formal night but I seriously doubt that's what the outfit actually looks like.

Is there any way you can post a picture? I know I'm asking a lot here b/c I certainly don't know how to post a picture.

All that said, if it's elegrant & stately, wear it. Who cares that they are capris?

Momofmeg,

Nope, I've never been on Crystal. You're thinking of Oceania which I've been on twice and yes, Oceania is "Country Club Casual" which basically means a nice pair of pants or skirt with a nice top. Both the outfits that Basil and Cate described would fit perfectly into the Oceania mode of dress on any night. No one would enter the dining room for dinner in khaki's, polo shirt & topsiders....well, very few would, anyway.

I've also been on Celebrity and HAL. I find the crowd on Celebrity to be better dressed.....more chic and the crowd on HAL to be older and conservatively dressed. Celebrity, IMHO, has more style and fashion at night.

I'm staying out of this thread about wearing capri's in the evening. I hate them and think they make everyone look shorter and fatter whether it's day or night! :)

Jane

I could not remember the line you said or really the dress code just that there were no formal nights.

I do remember one of the regulars here on this board talking about Crystal but I think it was in one of the threads on the Questions Asked section not Fashions. The thread was about were there any cruiselines that did not nickel and dime you to death or something like that. She actually said Crystal was pretty reasonable-only slightly higher the Princess, Celebrity or HAL. I don't remember exactly but like the staterooms started at $1500 a person and this included tips and alcohol.

As I said we checked into a line called Cruise West whose speciality is Alaska cruises. One of their selling points was no dress code for dinner-"come as you are" or something like that they said. (We ordered their free video.) They did sound like a great line and only had 60 passengers on a cruise-we just could not afford the $5000 per person cost.

You have a point we did digress. But I see all the points and this is a discussion board. You are also right about why wear something if it does not look good. Too often I see women wearing something that is very unbecomming to them just because it is fashionable. I never understood that.

But in my opionion-capris look nice on most middle-aged women as most middle-aged women are not hippy but tend to instead carry their weight in their mid section and not butt. It is only when a woman carries her wieght in her butt that the capris are unflattering. For example- remember the movie Grease and the Girl who started the drag race. The capris were definetly not a good look on her.

Back to the point-as I said I do feel whether the capri is approiate or not depends on the length of it. the material sounds approiate but if they are shorter on you then maybe not. I do not think it matters the cruiseline. It looks cr&*py and low class on Carnival just as much on Princess (I have never cruised Celebrity) to wear the clam digger length capris to dinner even on casual night. Though it is TRUE you see more of those types on Carnival then any other line.

Sometimes I think tall women buy the ones that are really meant for shorter women which is why I gave my example of my pantsuit. It is cropped pants on me but I saw another woman much taller then me that it was the clam digger length so it looked much more casual on her.

To the 5' 3" gal-I get what you mean but still you can find shorter capris in the more casual length-I have tons of them and that is mostly what my daywear is on ship. I am only 1 inch taller then you.

Archived