Semi-formal night on Celebrity...capris?

basil1

Just my observations, but on my last Celebrity formal night was mostly evening gown/tux type of attire (granted not everyone wore to that extend, but that was the overall theme). On informal nights, it was more along the line of "little black dress" and suits. Again, not everyone, but if you can picture it that's more the overall tone of dress. Then on casual night, it was more like nice slacks/silky blouses or sundresses. The men stuck pretty well with sportscoats or nice dockers and oxford/golf type shirts.

Again, just my opinion and observations. I tend to prefer to err on the dressier side, than feel uncomfortably underdressed.

As for difference of cruise lines, my opinion again is that it does matter. Carnival, while Formal night consisted of gowns, it also leaned closer to "little black dress" type of wear. The other nights were more casual with sundress and dockers/golf shirts type of thing.

Ultimately though, just dress the way you will feel good. That's most important.

Question...I believe someone mentioned that Crystal is quite formal and enforces their dress code after 6PM...What does 'enforce' mean? Do they send you back to your cabin if you are not dressed to specification?:confused: I would hate to be the ship employee with that job!

Actually, yes, you are not permitted in public areas after 6pm unless you are dressed according to the fashion of the evening.

I find this quite refreshing! And I think this is one of the reasons Crystal is so popular and has so many repeat guests.

Hi:) I think Crystal has many, MANY repeat customers. And I think they are aware of the dress code;).

Most of their ships are quite small (compared to the "Floating Cities") of the Mass Market lines such as Royal and Princess. I am NOT critisizing them, just saying the differences are quite large.

Going on a ship that holds 3600 pax is a lot different than a ship that holds less than a 1000.

Different strokes for different folks, that is for sure:D

The pants could be ok if you pair them with a sequined top (not halter) and dressy shoes. I wouldn't do the halter for the formal night. You will see all kinds of formal wear and you don't want to feel "dressed down". Wear bracelets and nice earrings, it will help to dress the outfit up. Sparkle, sparkle, sparkle. By the way, our first cruise was on Celebrity Zenith.

Just my observations, but on my last Celebrity formal night was mostly evening gown/tux type of attire (granted not everyone wore to that extend, but that was the overall theme). On informal nights, it was more along the line of "little black dress" and suits. Again, not everyone, but if you can picture it that's more the overall tone of dress. Then on casual night, it was more like nice slacks/silky blouses or sundresses. The men stuck pretty well with sportscoats or nice dockers and oxford/golf type shirts.

Again, just my opinion and observations. I tend to prefer to err on the dressier side, than feel uncomfortably underdressed.

As for difference of cruise lines, my opinion again is that it does matter. Carnival, while Formal night consisted of gowns, it also leaned closer to "little black dress" type of wear. The other nights were more casual with sundress and dockers/golf shirts type of thing.

Just to clarify my previous post- I know some cruiselines are dressier then others. What I ws trying to say if it looks trashy and low class on Carnival then for sure it will on a nicer more upscale cruiseline. (and I find the clam digger length trashy and low class even on Carnival for dinner) I just do not feel capris that are the clam digger or peddel pusher length are not approiate for dinner in the dinningroom no matter if they are satin, linen, or anything else. Not on casual night-not on formal night.

You pointed out people should wear what they feel comfortable with- and some people will be comfortable with dressing inapproiately- sometimes I wonder WHY they even post here unless it is to get a rise out of all of us.

I was not talking to you Basil- I think you were geninuely concerned if your outfit would be too casual and that is WHY you started this thread.

I certainly didn't intend on putting anyone's knickers in a twist.:p I have been on 11 cruises and therefore am not entirely a rookie cruiser. I have never been on a Celebrity cruise and wanted to know if it was dressier or more casual than other cruise lines. I think the general consensus is that it is dressier. My capri's (ankle pants on me) are not slutty they are a nice straight leg pant that are not even remotely tight. Since the outfit still has tags and hasn't been worn except 5 minutes in the dressing room I don't have a picture or I'd post one. I only booked this cruise a couple of weeks ago and it sails 05/07/05! I haven't had much time to devote to shopping and this is a new outfit that I thought "might" be appropriate for SEMI-formal night, most certainly not a formal night. I will save it for a casual night, and do the standard & boring little black dress. Who knows maybe in the next 11 days I can get to the mall and find something wonderful! Since I am short, what little time I do have is spent trying on things that only look good on tall people - no offense tall people- I am just jealous. Thanks everyone for your opinions, that's why were here 'ay?

Basil:)

Hey, really just have to go with the flow!!....

Was a semi formal on Celebrity, (last week) and figured out that semi formal was really close to formal... So for the over packer me, I switch up my outfit to be a tad more formal.....Did not expect the elevator fashion critique...

Get in the elevator.... 1st guy in shorts says, damn I love your knots... It was a shawl..... Second lady in the elevator, says, you did a great job putting that outfit together.. At this point looking at husband to get me out of this situation.... Get off the evelator ride from hell and say to hubby, is this outfit OK.... reminds me the guy in shorts with drink in hand had a few to many.....

after dinner go dancing, shawl gets caught in hubbys suit buttons.... Band leader tells us we dance the swing great....he did not know we danced so great because we could not un-connect the 'knots"......

Auggg.. Went back to the stateroom, put on a pair of sweats, threw the knots in the suitcase, never to see the light of day again ..... Gotta love the semi foraml.... Ladies dont take the dress to seriously!!! Knots and me have great memories

Janet

Basil1, I am in deep envy of you. It is a dream of mine to go on a last minute cruise. Because of work schedules, we must book in advance. Not that I mind the planning, but the waiting is excrutiating.

I have no opinion about the capris on semi-formal nights, but I think you could find a little black dress that is not so boring, especially if it ended up red, instead.;)

I just returned from the Galaxy Monday & have to say on the second informal night I felt overly dressed in a silky short dress. Even my husband pointed out that more than a few men were not wearing jackets! I really don't know what was going on--but I know that even within the same ships, different cruises contain different people & you just might end up with a more or less dressy crowd. So I'd hate to have you go out & buy something new just for one night when you have something you like & feel comfortable in. We went back to the cabin & changed into something more casual after dinner because we both felt out of place. I think your outfit sounds fine. Have a great cruise!

I certainly didn't intend on putting anyone's knickers in a twist.:p I have been on 11 cruises and therefore am not entirely a rookie cruiser. I have never been on a Celebrity cruise and wanted to know if it was dressier or more casual than other cruise lines. I think the general consensus is that it is dressier. My capri's (ankle pants on me) are not slutty they are a nice straight leg pant that are not even remotely tight. Since the outfit still has tags and hasn't been worn except 5 minutes in the dressing room I don't have a picture or I'd post one. I only booked this cruise a couple of weeks ago and it sails 05/07/05! I haven't had much time to devote to shopping and this is a new outfit that I thought "might" be appropriate for SEMI-formal night, most certainly not a formal night. I will save it for a casual night, and do the standard & boring little black dress. Who knows maybe in the next 11 days I can get to the mall and find something wonderful! Since I am short, what little time I do have is spent trying on things that only look good on tall people - no offense tall people- I am just jealous. Thanks everyone for your opinions, that's why were here 'ay?

Why not wait and see what is worn the first formal night- and possibly wear it the second formal night if you are that concerned by our posts? You will then be able to see for sure by what others are wearing.

Personally I felt since what you are wearing are cropped pants and not capris they should be fine. Other's opinions were even the shorter capris were fine. I do not think anyone said for you not to wear them-I think you are a little too sensitive-after all none of us would go up to anyone on a cruise and tell them they are not dressed properly-we are just telling you what we would or would not do.

By the way you have been on 11 cruises? I am surprised you even ask this. I have been on 9 cruises- though not Celebrity-but I have a general idea of what is accepted and what isn't. What lines have you been on that you feel will be so diff. from Celebrity?

I know on my one Princess cruise I was surprised at how under dressed some people were. True Carnival is worse-but I saw folks on Princess who did not dress formal either on formal night-just not as many. I figure you are going to find those guys on all the lines.

Why not wait and see what is worn the first formal night- and possibly wear it the second formal night if you are that concerned by our posts? You will then be able to see for sure by what others are wearing.

*Actually it is the semi-formal night in question. I have formal wear.

Personally I felt since what you are wearing are cropped pants and not capris they should be fine. Other's opinions were even the shorter capris were fine. I do not think anyone said for you not to wear them-I think you are a little too sensitive-after all none of us would go up to anyone on a cruise and tell them they are not dressed properly-we are just telling you what we would or would not do.

By the way you have been on 11 cruises? I am surprised you even ask this. I have been on 9 cruises- though not Celebrity-but I have a general idea of what is accepted and what isn't. What lines have you been on that you feel will be so diff. from Celebrity?

*I have been on Carnival, RCCL, NCL & Premier (who has gone under- no pun intended).

I know on my one Princess cruise I was surprised at how under dressed some people were. True Carnival is worse-but I saw folks on Princess who did not dress formal either on formal night-just not as many. I figure you are going to find those guys on all the lines.

Happy Ks I really like the idea of a red "little black dress".:p As far as booking the cruise last minute, I had asked for vacation time for the week a few months ago, but thought we were doing something else. One day my husband called me at work and said let's go to Bermuda instead so here I am!

I too work alot and haven't had time to do much shopping...that's one of the reasons for the question in the first place.

Thanks for all your input.

Basil

To add my two cents, of which I'm sure y'all were breathlessly awaiting, I am not a fan of capris.

I figure that whenever my 70 something year old mother starts wearing a 'trend', it is time for me to retire this item.

That includes cargo pants, capris and a few other things. Before someone points out that capris have been around forever, they didn't make a comeback until the late nineties.

Basil,

We too will be sailing to Bermuda with you! 8 days to go:D There is a roll call thread for this sailing, but there are just 2 of us on it. Doesn't look good for a CC party! But that won't stop us! Don't worry about being the only one in the dinning room with cropped pants. There are 6 of us going.....all the women have packed very nice (not slutty) outfits which include cropped pants. I must say.....we are going to look STUNNING!!!:p See ya there:)

Happy Ks I really like the idea of a red "little black dress".:p Basil

You know, the "little black dress" in any color but black is perfect. :D

BTW, now that you have clarrified that the capris are not pedal pushers, if the material is dressy enough, the outfit probably will work.

Wear what makes you happy. Drunks in shorts on elevators not withstanding, nobody is going to say "boo" on a cruise anyway.

I just read another post of yours and realized you were going on Horizon. :( I got so excited to see another person that would be sailing with us that I forgot to see what ship! lol Oh well....:p

Im not ready as far as having everything packed and ready to go....but I am ready for a vacation!!!!!! We booked this cruise last minute too. We were booked for Sept. but changed just a couple of weeks ago to this one. Im sure glad we did too....I can't wait!:D

basil 1; No matter what you choose to wear, the most important thing is that you are about to go on vacation!!:) Perhaps one's choice of outfit on any given ocasion is not exactly what someone else may have chosen. In the end, what will matter most is that YOU were happy with it. As long as it fits YOUR body and it is tasteful, it should be fine. Don't sweat the clothes issue. It's not as big a deal as it's made out to be. Enjoy every moment of your trip.;)

basil 1; No matter what you choose to wear, the most important thing is that you are about to go on vacation!!:) Perhaps one's choice of outfit on any given ocasion is not exactly what someone else may have chosen. In the end, what will matter most is that YOU were happy with it. As long as it fits YOUR body and it is tasteful, it should be fine. Don't sweat the clothes issue. It's not as big a deal as it's made out to be. Enjoy every moment of your trip.;)

Amen sister!! I, along with half of all other Americans, get stressed out way too much over everything.

Pins5-I too am in great need of a vacation. Hopefully this week will go smoothly and we can get all of our pre-vacation tasks done. Have fun and let me know how it goes. I hope we have great weather.

Basil

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from my cruise Saturday and I thought I'd let you all know my official decision:p . I was afraid that the capris would be too casual and so I saved them for a casual night. I wore the silk top with a black chiffon skirt that came from the "social occasions" department at Dillards. I was dressed up quite a bit more than many others, but felt as though I looked nice.

I wore the outfit on the second semi-formal night and there were many people in the dining room who wearing things that I wouldn't even wear to a casual restaurant like Red Lobster, Olive Garden or similar. There was a lady at an adjacent table who had on a "poker hat" or sunvisor:eek: (remember this is semi-formal night). Our assistant Maitre d' told me that we (meaning my husband and I) were very elegant. Then on the last formal night he said that we were "the most elegant couple" in the dining room.

Anyway, all of that said, my advise to everyone (as if anyone cares) dress up! You'll probably feel better and people do notice. Besides it really doesn't take any longer to put on a nice top and skirt than it does a ratty t-shirt and shorts. It takes longer if you add the poker hat!!!:D

Basil

This is in response to a question by Caribbean Girl. I've been on 13 Crystal cruises (just got off the Symphony a week ago) and YES, they do enforce the dress code on Crystal. On this most recent cruise, a man tried to enter the dining room on informal/semiformal night wearing an Hawaiian print shirt, and he was asked to leave the restaurant and come back in code. Fortunately, those who cruise Crystal know that it's the most formal of all cruise lines, and you rarely see anyone not dressed to code. Actually, at least 95 % of the men wear tuxes or dinner jackets on formal nights. And unlike another poster, I've not ever seen a woman wearing capri pants on a Crystal ship on informal nights---casual nights, yes, but on Crystal, informal nights you see lots of St. John dinner suits, short cocktail dresses or very dressy dresses.

I just returned from my cruise Saturday and I thought I'd let you all know my official decision:p . I was afraid that the capris would be too casual and so I saved them for a casual night. I wore the silk top with a black chiffon skirt that came from the "social occasions" department at Dillards. I was dressed up quite a bit more than many others, but felt as though I looked nice.

I wore the outfit on the second semi-formal night and there were many people in the dining room who wearing things that I wouldn't even wear to a casual restaurant like Red Lobster, Olive Garden or similar. There was a lady at an adjacent table who had on a "poker hat" or sunvisor:eek: (remember this is semi-formal night). Our assistant Maitre d' told me that we (meaning my husband and I) were very elegant. Then on the last formal night he said that we were "the most elegant couple" in the dining room.

Anyway, all of that said, my advise to everyone (as if anyone cares) dress up! You'll probably feel better and people do notice. Besides it really doesn't take any longer to put on a nice top and skirt than it does a ratty t-shirt and shorts. It takes longer if you add the poker hat!!!:D

Basil

Basil.....Hope you had a great time. It was the same way on our ship (Zenith) We were dressed up the entire cruise and it was fun. But after the comments about the dress code on these boards, I was very surprised to see how dressed down people were. I packed more clothes then I really needed only to make sure I had anything I would need to go with the flow. We stayed in our formal wear for the whole night even though some changed into sweats and jeans!:eek: But.....it didn't matter to me one bit. We had fun...and were dressed to the max. We sat on the pool deck listening to the band with a whole table of people wearing jogging suits. We all had a blast, and I might add...... I felt like a queen dancing under the stars in my "little black dress" with DH in his suit. Anyone that dressed down made me look that much better and that works for me!!:p

pins5; You just proved that, with a great attitude, it doesn't matter what you're wearing. So glad to hear you had a wonderful time. Each time I travel, I get better at packing. Bottom line, beyond what you read here or anywhere else, as long as you use some common sense, all will be well.;)

Archived