HELP! Looking for a hotel near FLL with shuttle to Port of Miami.

RuxieGirl

Hi, sorry if this has been covered before, I will keep scouring these boards to find it.

We are going to be flying into Ft. Lauderdale but our cruise is out of Miami the following day. We would like to find a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale (our flight gets in late) that would include a shuttle to the Port of Miami.

I found one so far - Comfort Inn Airport South - but we can't book this package until April. Any others out there? Anyone have experience with this hotel?

FYI, it will be me, my husband and two young children, and my parents.

Thanks!!

PS. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, perhaps is there a hotel in Miami that has a shuttle that would pick us up at FLL? Then a shuttle to the Port of Miami? What's the best way to do this for 6 people who don't want to spend too much $$?

Hi, sorry if this has been covered before, I will keep scouring these boards to find it.

We are going to be flying into Ft. Lauderdale but our cruise is out of Miami the following day. We would like to find a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale (our flight gets in late) that would include a shuttle to the Port of Miami.

I found one so far - Comfort Inn Airport South - but we can't book this package until April. Any others out there? Anyone have experience with this hotel?

Thanks!!

PS. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, perhaps is there a hotel in Miami that has a shuttle that would pick us up at FLL? Then a shuttle to the Port of Miami? What's the best way to do this for 6 people who don't want to spend too much $$?

I know the Ramada Inn Airport and Cruiseport does. Not the nicest place, but if you get in late and just need a place to sleep, we found it ok for that. They offer breakfast in the AM as well.

you are going to have a hard time finding this...you'd be better off just booking a hotel in FLL and then trying a shuttle service such as

http://www.qualitylimoservice.com/default.aspx?pageid=1

you will be in a better hotel..you really don't want to stay just anywhere to get a shuttle....

you can also look at the sticky atop this forum, and then check out betterbidding.com and learn about priceline and hotwire bidding. often you can score a decent hotel for a great rate..

when is your cruise, and what is your budget..and you will need 2 rooms for 6 people i believe....Fla has max room occupancy due to fire code....(i think...i may be wrong, but the hotels i've stayed in did have this..)

Agree with megr. I'd forget looking for a random hotel that might offer the service. VERY few will offer that kind of distance. You probably saved money by flying into Ft.L ? Stay at a hotel near the airport if it will be bedtime. Then arrange a shuttle/car to Miami in the morning. I wouldn't want to count on a questionable hotel or transpoertation arrangement to get me to the pier the morning the ship leaves. Good luck.

Thanks!!

Ruxie,

I can recommend 100% RideSAS.com. They will pick you up at most hotels in FLL and take you to the Port of Miami for a price of $13-14 per person for a group of 4. Very reliable, have used them MANY times, and Steve and his crew are always very punctual, helpful and friendly. Do not think you can find a better deal. As for hotels, I got the Sheraton at the airport for $65 s night for clean room with 2 double beds. Nice hotel, nice pool and Steve will pick you up at this hotel. Hope this helps. Michael

It is a 40+ minute ride from the FLL area to POM - very few hotels will send their shuttle that far, and those that do are just building the cost into the room/package rate.

Your best bet is to find a hotel that works for your group and then find your own transportation.

Tough to fit 6 +bags into any rental car, so unless you want 2 cars I would go for a shuttle.

Good luck! :)

It is a 40+ minute ride from the FLL area to POM - very few hotels will send their shuttle that far, and those that do are just building the cost into the room/package rate.

Your best bet is to find a hotel that works for your group and then find your own transportation.

Tough to fit 6 +bags into any rental car, so unless you want 2 cars I would go for a shuttle.

Good luck! :)

We just rented a van for our trip in June because there are 6 of us plus all our luggage. It does cost more than a standard car but still might be the least expensive way for them to do it. If the shuttle is $15/pp and there are 6 of them that is $90.

if price permits it might be easier for them to just fly into Miami.

Thanks Majik and Lois R.- for the information on RideSAS...as I will be needing such service for my family cruise this summer and from Miami and I usually fly into FLL, as the air fare is less expensive from there. :)

Thanks!!

I would double or triple check any hotel near FLL that says they have a shuttle to Port of Miami included in a reasonable room rate. Many of these hotels have port shuttles to Port Everglades, so just make sure you are talking about the right port.

There are 2 hotels in the area that I know of that can accomodate 6. The Hyatt House and the Homewood Suites have 2 bedroom/2 bathroom suites. One of the rooms has 2 double beds and the other a king (plus the living room in between also has a sofa bed). There aren't a lot of these rooms in each hotel and they book up fast, but they are usually cost effective compared to renting 2 or 3 rooms.

Thank you all for the awesome information and advice.

We have no problem with booking two rooms overnight before our cruise, in fact, I don't think my parents will stay with us!

Here is the hotel that has the POM package, it definitely says "Miami."

http://www.comfortinnfla.com/specials/port-of-miami-package.html

Looks OK, just can't book it until next month. We'll see how the prices trickle down and if it's worth it rather than doing separate transportation to Miami.

Keep the great ideas coming!

We have no problem with booking two rooms overnight before our cruise, in fact, I don't think my parents will stay with us!

Looks OK, just can't book it until next month. We'll see how the prices trickle down and if it's worth it rather than doing separate transportation to Miami.

I just had a look at the Comfort Inn site, and did a dummy booking to see what they are charging for the Miami package. It looks like they are charging $30 per room for up to 2 people per room. $22 per extra person. So for 6 people in 2 rooms, it's $104 that they are charging for transfer to Miami. So take that into consideration when shopping for hotels. I suspect that the hotel will sub out the Miami transfer to a service like SAS or GO, as their own shuttle is pretty busy with Port Everglades transfers.

That hotel was supposed to be renovated last summer, but never heard if it actually was or not. It's in a convenient enough location, next to the large Oakwood Plaza, but that won't matter too much to you since you will get there late, and be gone pretty early the next day. The doors to each room open to the outside, not a corridor, if that matters to you.

Yes, just be careful as the price you will pay for a room with Miami transfer may be quite a bit more than just the room itself and you may make out better getting other transportation.

Good luck!

Yes, just be careful as the price you will pay for a room with Miami transfer may be quite a bit more than just the room itself and you may make out better getting other transportation.

Good luck!

To expand on this theme:

Any hotel offering a free shuttle, especially Fort Lauderdale-Miami, is going to charge a premium; nothing is truly 'free'. Renting a car (or, in your case, a van) gives you far more options regarding where you stay; you don't have to stay anywhere with a 'free' shuttle, nor do you have to be very close to the port or airport. You can therefore look for a less-expensive hotel/motel. Do the math, and see how the numbers stack up - do not assume that the option with the shuttle included will be the least expensive one.

I just took a closer look at this hotel just for my future reference. The package with the shuttle to Miami is $40 per room more than just a room. That includes a ride for 2 people and then you have 2 extra so that is another $22/pp. This comes out to $80 more for 2 rooms plus $44 more for the 2 extra people.

For what this will cost you just to get a shuttle to Miami I think there are better options.

Archived