The Dancers..... Question

I have seen the teach dance classes, help with muster drill and some of the female dancers stand outside the MDR posing for pictures w/pax.

That sums it up. do not think they have a lot of demands on their time.

They do teach some dance classes, and in years past they would lead a morning aerobics class out on deck. The rehearsals are frequent and not just when learning a new show or when a new dancer is assigned. With land based dance companies the rehearsals stop once the run of shows has begun, but not on cruise ships.

They pose for the photographs with passengers in their show girl "vegas" type costumes. I also see them working out in the gym a lot. They need to stay slim and look presentable on stage.

With land based dance companies the rehearsals stop once the run of shows has begun, but not on cruise ships.

Not true, rehearsals never stop for any dance company, Broadway show or other performing venue whether land or sea--there are always clean-up rehearsals, understudy rehearsals, etc. The work never stops.

Not true, rehearsals never stop for any dance company, Broadway show or other performing venue whether land or sea--there are always clean-up rehearsals, understudy rehearsals, etc. The work never stops.

While I don't know how every dance company does things, the routine rehearsals do stop for the companies I've seen in this area. Especially with money mill shows like nutcracker etc. Two shows most days, 3 different casts and a run that last only a couple weeks or possibly a month. I'm sure it's different for companies that mainly tour.

While I don't know how every dance company does things, the routine rehearsals do stop for the companies I've seen in this area. Especially with money mill shows like nutcracker etc. Two shows most days, 3 different casts and a run that last only a couple weeks or possibly a month. I'm sure it's different for companies that mainly tour.

Well, yeah, if it's only a two week run--although, with a month run there would be rehearsal for the covers. I've done eight Broadway shows and two national tours and I'd be hard-pressed to think of any weeks where I wasn't called into the theatre to rehearse. Phantom of the Opera has been running for 24 years--and do they still rehearse? Of course. Paul Taylor, NYCB, ABT--all rehearse continually...no matter what the piece is. It's just part of the discipline. Just like an athletic team practices--dancers, singers, and actors all have to work out daily on their own and also with their fellow company members to keep the show tight. As we say on the big Broadway, eight shows a week ain't for sissies!

Some of them used to sunbathe topless back in the good ol' days of the "Funnel Deck."

Conchead beat me to it, as often they are on the forward crew deck on some ships. Always cheating of course . . . butt up.

I have seen them teach dance classes, help with muster drill and some of the female dancers stand outside the MDR posing for pictures w/pax.

Yes, frequently dressed up in "vegas style" attire and posing for pics with passengers. Also used to give line dancing lessons on the stage of the main showroom when that was all the rage.

Absolutely true. Go to the main showroom on an "off" day, you'll see them rehearsing. Once had a tiny tiny cabin above and to the side of the main showroom. Tried to take a nap one afternoon only to be "entertained" by the Carnival dancers practicing, practicing and practicing.:rolleyes:

In additon to what's already been mentioned. The dancer's are normally the one's that are assigned the Library duties during the times that someone is in there. The take part in the Muster drills (stairways directing traffic, muster station). Help with embarkment, disembarkment (first day, last day and port days). Sell raffles, bingo tickets and lottery tickets.

There are always rehearsals. I am a dancer, actually own my own studio now. One of my girls who taught for my studio while she was a university dance major, up until she graduated last year, is a dancer aboard a RCL ship currently. Im not sure what their exact schedule is, but they have hours they are scheduled for rehearsals, performing, and whatever else they make them do, but they also have a lot of free time to explore the ports and relax, sunbathe with tropical drinks, etc. In the pictures she looks like she is living the life!

Bottom line is that the entertainment staff is ALWAYS busy. There simply isn''t time for 'em to sit around eating bon-bons. :eek: As noted above, if you're wandering around the ship, especially when most everyone else is ashore, you'll find them, most of the time, rehearsing in the main theater. ;)

"SKY"

I'm sure they work hard and practice a lot, but its good to know they do get at least some spare time to go ashore. The last cruise stop in Cozumel, we ran into 3 of the female dancers in town shopping...they seemed to be having fun and enjoying themselves...as well they should!!:)

Archived