Dinning Prefernces

Ziggy7

What is your dinning preferences on your cruises and why ???  

234 members have voted

1. 1. What is your dinning preferences on your cruises and why ???

• Early Upper
    • Early Lower
    • Main Upper
    • Main Lower
    • Prefer to eat in the Lido.
    • Prefer to eat in my cabin via Room Service.
    • I dont eat, just drink on the cruise!

Here's a poll I saw on another board and thought it would be good for us, so we all can see everyones dinning:)Be sure to post after voting your choice please:)

We eat early upper or lower as DH has medical reason and has to eat early, besides it gives us time to work off some of those dessert calories hehehe :)

Debbie, What a great Poll.

Well we definitely prefer the 6:15 early lower. It really is the perfect time for us. First off on a cruise we tend to be early risers and go to bed fairly early. Thr 5:30 would be too early and 8 PM is just too late.

Just like the 3 bears the 6:15 is just right:p

Hi, Debbie...

Interesting question! Being new to HAL, I was wondering if there were any patterns--Zuiderdam's main upper for 9/3 was already waitlisted by the time I booked.

I've been seated in the balcony on my last three cruises, and I always feel a little disconnected and out of the action up there. As for early vs. main, I usually eat dinner later at home anyway, and my experiences with early sittings have been too rushed (rush to get back to the cabin and get ready, rush to get out of the way in time for the next sitting). Before midnight buffets started to fade away, I liked early seating because it gave me some time to build the appetite back up!

What does upper and lower mean? We are confirmed upper at 8:30 ( I think that means on the 2nd floor? )
Upper is second floor seating at the latest time, either 6:15 or 8:30 seating, lower is first floor dinningroom and earliest seatings 5:45 ot 8:00. :)

[/color]Upper is second floor seating at the latest time, either 6:15 or 8:30 seating, lower is first floor dinningroom and earliest seatings 5:45 ot 8:00.[/size][/font] :)

Ziggy, the last I knew it was just the opposite. Upper Dining level was early first and second, either 5:45 or 8:00, and the lower level dining was the late first or second sittings, 6:15 or 8:30. Has this changed??

DW and I prefer the First Lower dinner seating as we are both diabetic and must eat early. Should we be assigned to one of the later seatings and be unable to get it changed, we would be forced to eat in the Lido.

Actually, I prefer table 78, a table for two on the upper balcony railing. However, I'm not yet ready to eat at 5:45 PM. So I would opt for early-lower or main upper. The new dining times are still a little strange to me.

Ziggy - as far as I know Liz is right. Our last three cruises, we had the 8:00pm seating and it's on the Upper Level. When did this change?

I think at one time, when they first started the 4 seatings, it was the opposite but they changed it.

I prefer Main Upper which was at 8:00 on the Statendam in December. We were assigned Main Lower for 8:30 which is just 30 minutes too late. Went to the card room and were waitlisted for 8:00 which came through the next day.

I think that you must book months in advance to get the early sittings. They always fill up first. I wonder if they keep some tables in reserve in case Suite passengers want to change. I always book late and since the four dining times have been in effect get 8:30. The next day we get new cards for 8:00.

On the recent cruise the lower section had lots of empty tables at 8:30 and I think many of them were for people who ate in the Lido as 8:30 was too late for them. I wonder how many passengers feel that the food and service has improved with the four dining times.

Interesting poll Ziggy-you have the greatest ideas as a seasoned cruiser.

I didn't vote because I have not cruised for 30 yrs. Leaving next weekend with DH and we were originally waitlisted for 8PM but found out this week that we are now confirmed. However, I not sure that we are gauranteed a table for two. Hopefully, we will be given our preference. We look forward to socializing with other cruisers at breakfast & lunch but would like to enjoy a more romantic "dinner for two". We choose the 8PM because we liked the idea of having more time to relax after a full day in ports & it's the closest time available to our schedule at home. However, if they offered 7:30PM that would be perfect.

I may have the later seating wrong but On the Zuiderdam last Aug. we ate at 5:45pm and were on the lower :) So if they changed, I dont know when :) Our friends had the 6:15 seating and they were upper, we all tried to change but couldnt.

Don't know about the Zuiderdam, but on the Volendam just 2 weeks ago Upper Level was the first Early and Main seatings and Lower was the last of each seating. In other words Upper was at 5:45 and 8:00; Lower was at 6:15 and 8:30.

Same was true on the Maasdam last June and Oosterdam the previous December. Don't know why the Zuiderdam would be the reverse times. :confused:

I find myself in agreement with the plurality, Main Upper. That's not a position I'm used to! :rolleyes:

-dave

"I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me." - Dave Barry

Main Upper.

Before the change to four sittings I always took second sitting (8:15); now I find the 8:00 sitting perfect---lots of time to finish my day, nap, dress and cocktail before a delicious meal with new friends.

Then there's still plenty of time for the show and a full evening before toddling in at 2:00-ish.

Well, after viewing this poll I can understand why we've been waited listed for the main upper seating.

Presently we're at 8:30 which is much too late and 5:45 is too early!

6:15 and 8:00 BOTH waitlisted the past two months for July 30 cruise. Hopefully we'll be able to get one of the times we want.

Archived