How do you book your cruise?

I used a website that gets quotes from different travel agencies. Google "cruise" "compete"

The quotes were all the same, but the amounts of OnBoard Cash was different. I chose the TA who offered the highest OBC.

Ditto.

We booked our first through HAL, just booked our fifth last night, via cruise compete dot com. I saved $775 (total) for three cabins. That will buy two tickets to the ship.

My only frustration is that Holland won't deal directly with you, as the customer, once you book with the TA.

Ditto.

We booked our first through HAL, just booked our fifth last night, via cruise compete dot com. I saved $775 (total) for three cabins. That will buy two tickets to the ship.

My only frustration is that Holland won't deal directly with you, as the customer, once you book with the TA.

For $775 (in your case), I can suffer without talking to the cruise line.

For $775 (in your case), I can suffer without talking to the cruise line.

That's what I thought. My only question might be when/if the price drops, will we get it. I guess supposedly we will, as long as we've not made our final payment.

Prices are a lot higher for Australians, stateroom show as sold or pricing is not available but in America all is available but you are not allowed to book there. Cunard is the same, can't book in America at American prices. For Australians pricess are published prices and that is double what Americans pay.

Last year I asked Princess why Australian price is so high compare to Americans. They would not give me an answer. Now I cannot find Princess Australia site. May be they fix the price difference problem.

May be you need American friend to book for you.

This question has come up a lot and I have only ever booked through a TA.

I am currently trying an experiment. I have two cruises booked for this summer. I booked one with the TA that I've used for years, and the other directly with the cruiseline.

Here's my findings so far:

1) The TA is sending me a check for $100 after the cruise. Other than that, the TA price is identical to the cruiseline (down to the penny).

2) Final payment with the TA is actually due 1 week earlier than if I booked directly with the cruiseline. I guess that gives the TA time to process.

3) Booking directly with the cruiselines allows you to see all the costs, deposit, and balance information when you log into the cruiseline website and view your itinerary.

4) Both cruises had a price drop. Both the cruiseline and the TA were very easy to contact and get the price adjustment. Although, contacting the cruiseline was a quicker call.

5) The TA does not charge a separate fee to change or cancel the reservation.

6) The TA was more helpful with things like different airfare/airline options, hotels (before the cruise), and alternative trip insurance options.

7) The TA didn't resolve an issue/question related to "future cruise deposit" OBC. I worked directly through the cruiseline and resolved it.

What I haven't seen anyone mention is that TA's that are associated with a reputable large agency has the clout to offer ADDITIONAL value that you cannot get by booking with the cruise line. Often a TA can offer upgrades or OBC or paid gratuities or a bottle of wine or whatever that the agency is offering as incentive to use their TA's. The cruise lines have offerings and specials going on all the time and usually the additional values offered by the TA are combinable with the cruise line's offerings.

When using a TA you also have the luxury of depending on them to keep you informed of any changes, making all the arrangements, and taking responsibility for the booking. Just let the TA know what you expect of them and they will take care of you.

The payments should ALWAYS show up on your cc statement as paid directly to the cruise line.

When it comes to cruising I have used the same TA for years. I need only tell her where and when I want to go. She knows the only type of cabin we want and where on the ship. She knows my cruise line of choice. If she can't get what I want she comes back to me with options. If something goes south she fixes it. Even though she has moved to a different city and with a different firm now I continue to use her. When it comes to things like airline tickets I do it direct with the airline.

1) The TA is sending me a check for $100 after the cruise. Other than that, the TA price is identical to the cruiseline (down to the penny).

I've had this offer before too, but how do you know that you'll actually get the check? What recourse do you have if you never receive it?

The payments should ALWAYS show up on your cc statement as paid directly to the cruise line.

The last cruise we took, some of the final payment showed as paid directly to the cruise line while about half of it showed up to the travel agent. I didn't realize it had happened and was furious when I found out. Travel agent said something about how we were placed in a group that I was unaware of. It was too late to switch TA's since I had already made the final payment and would lose the OBC if I moved the reservation back to the cruise line. In the end, the final payment was made and we had no problems with the booking, but I now never ever transfer a reservation to a TA without clarifying this detail.

I've had this offer before too, but how do you know that you'll actually get the check? What recourse do you have if you never receive it?

They put it in writing on the invoice. Also I've booked 8 cruises through them and have always gotten the check, without having to call and follow-up.

I always book through a TA. I do my own research and choose the cruise I want, then call the TA (even though I can book online with that particular TA - i like to be able to ask questions).

I had a problems on one cruise with the cruise line and my TA was able to get us $ towards a future cruise. Our friends had booked directly with the cruise line, had the same problems we had, and the cruise line gave them back practically nothing. Our TA received so many complaints about that particular cruise that he bundled them together to the cruise line and was able to work something out with the line -- something individuals were not able to do.

All of the cruise lines - and especially Carnival - control the basic fare prices of the cruises. So you will always find the same price. However, all cruise lines - except Carnival - allow the TAs to offer extras (which no doubt come out their commissions) such as OBC, bottles of wine, excursions, etc.

The cruise we are taking in January - we got the 123Go promotion from Celebrity AND OBC from our TA.

both thru the local warehouse club I have been a member of since 1987...

First time I have done it..

For the summer med, our balcony OBC was 215$-

would have been ZERO thru the cruise line directly...

Just booked a cruise for 2014....2 cabins

thru cruiseline ZERO OBC.....

thru my booking...

90$ for a balcony...and 215$ for my suite.

I have also previously used the competing web site, and have used one certain company that quotes at that site....

and always had a good experience...

For my med cruise....one quote had the best offer, but there was no history

a "new" company.....and chose not to risk it...

I figured my warehouse club has been in business forever (it seems), so it is quite reputable....and would stand behind their offerings...like they do everything else!

I booked my flights directly thru Princess, and the total was added to my invoice.

I like to handle details myself, so this had turned out to to be the best of both worlds.

The only problem, which is a small one...

is they operate out of the West Coast & I am East coast...so I have to wait till 10 AM to call....

Once I used a TA, specified in writing the exact flights...and almost lost them because the person decided to not book, but call me again....

So..I use my WH Club, can book my own flights thru Princess now, and still get the best OBC. :)

Bernadette

BratDet,

If you are cruising with Princess, you need to purchase the Future Cruise Credits while on your next cruise. With these, you get $25 to $150 OBC. Amount depends on length of cruise and type cabin.

Also, think about buying stock in Carnival Corporation. Each time you sail on any of their cruise lines, you get OBC. amount is $50 to $250 depending on length of cruise.

I stuck to the topic of booking the cruise OBC...

I do own 108. sumthing CCL shares..so we will get additional OBC for that...for both cruises...

We were on the Hurricane Sandy Bermuda (diverted to Boston) cruise....

Once we knew all of us were getting a goodwill credit...I MADE sure the 3 who would not normally have bought FCC, got them...so all 5 of us get 50$ extra each...for the 2014 cruise...

My husband & I used our goodwill credits on our Med cruise...

AND....I just redeemed 60,000 Princess Credit Card points and am getting a 750$ refund on my summer Royal Med cruise

and will have a 515$ OBC (biggest amount we EVER got)

100 CCL stock credit,

100$ each of us for FCC,

AND 215$ OBC from TA/warehouse club)

- so 515$ OBC woo hoo!! Gonna spend some of it on Chef's Table!

My daughter is getting an EXTRA total 200$ for her and her BF, cause they were awarded bonus OBC's if they booked by May 31! So...they will have 390$ OBC

50, 50 from FCC, 50,50, 50, 50, from their bonus credits...and 90 from their booking TA....

So...we got to maximize all credits available...

AND if my youngest son is available next year to join us, he is eligible for the Military OBC....we just do not know if he would be able to do so yet....He got it for his first cruise when he was 20.

Bernadette

• 2 weeks later...

I do all the research, Find exactly what we want (ship/ dates/ cabin). Book it online, directly with the cruiseline. recieve any special promotions they are running at the time.

Then a few weeks later, I will transfer it to my TA. It's a simple email to the cruiseline, not a hassle at all.

Before I transfer, I know exactly how much OBC I will be recieving.

To me, it's Free $$!

I rarely have to make any changes, but if I do- my TA easily can take care of it.

You are still able to book every thing online, yourself. And that's what matters to me. Because I AM a planner.

I do the research and book with an online TA. For the flight I use ITA software to find the schedule (and price) I need. Then I use frequent flyer miles from our credit card.

Great ideas. I just booked my first cruise and used a local Canadian TA, a co-worker booked her cruise direct, same cruise. She rec'd 150. OBC and I rec'd 50. Called the agent but she refuses to give me anymore so lesson learned. We're both first time cruisers, will think twice next time before booking with her. Booked my flight online thru a discount provider and got a great deal. Flights have only gone up since then. C'est la vie !No matter, I know i'll enjoy my vaca just the same.

Sometimes I book with a TA and sometime directly with the cruise line. More often than not, it's with a TA. Mainly for the extra perks that they offer such as on board credits. But it's usually worth checking directly with the cruise line as with slow selling cruises, they sometime offer on board credit or free drink packages as incentives.

Since I don't have loyalty to any particular cruiseline or travel agent, I book with whoever can get me the best value for my money. If two internet travel sites offer the same price, I'll check to see if they are offering any promotions such as a % off a shore excursion, or some OBC. I found one site that offered me $50 off my pre-cruise hotel if I booked the cruise and hotel through them.

Archived