Travel Documents--no this isn't a passport question, I promise!

03yrb

I am a single parent and will be traveling with my daughter this coming summer on a cruise. I don't have a passport for her but obviously I have her birth certificate.

I keep hearing about some letter needed from the other parent to allow the child to travel on a cruise (or any other travel outside of the country). My deal is that the father is pretty much non-existent in her life. I have tried numerous times to contact him via phone calls, email and text and he doesn't respond. I have no clue what his address is as he has not provided one in close to year even though our divorce decree speficially states each party needs to give the other updated contact info. He has refused to give it to me.

At any rate, I want to know specficially, has anyone been in this situation and not had a letter? I am only directing this to those trying to board the cruise ship not those flying from another country etc. (that's all the posts I can find are only related to flying from Canada etc.)

I called Carnival and spoke with a person in reservations. She told me it is "recommended" to have it but that they won't deny someone getting on board the cruise ship. So again, can someone relate to this? Were you asked for a letter? Were you not? etc.

TIA for any insight. I am just a bit worried as I don't want to be spending all this money and get to the boarding gate and be told I can't board and lose it all. :(

BTW this is for Carnival Cruise Lines

Hmmmmmm. When I traveled with my under 18 son and his under 18 friend, I was not asked for a letter from anyone for anything. But that was 2008.

I would get something in writing from Carnival so if you do run into an issue at check-in, you have a letter from Carnival stating it is ok. They have to understand you can't make the father write a letter.

You may want to post this on Carnival's board as well to get others' experiences.

Please check back and let us know how things work out so others in a similar situation can benefit.

I hope you do go and have a wonderful cruise

We had a notarized form signed by our daughter and son-in-law for our DGD to join us on a Disney cruise and we were never asked about it. But I concur that not being prepared is not the right way to go.

As an alternative, since you have tried and tried, much as it might be a bit of an expense, you could ask a judge in divorce court to issue an order that you are allowed to take your daughter on a trip out of the country.

A few things I would note in the request and in the court order itself. That you have tried but the father has no cooperated in making contact. That the father and you are U.S. citizens, with permanent residences in the U.S. And perhaps finally that you are bringing the child back to the U.S. after a vacation. These requirements really came about when parents started trying to take their children out of the country permanently without the other parent's permission. Perhaps that is why we weren't asked, it was a closed loop cruise to and from the U.S. Should any authorities ask, your court order would show that you tried and the father was not cooperative, and that you have no intention of kidnapping your daughter and that you are returning to the U.S.

Unfortunately, you might need to pay the lawyer a bit to draft a petition, and then to go to court to get it signed. Such is life when some parents decide that they have no responsibilities, and the remaining parent has to shoulder all of it.

As advised when you asked this question in another forum; check out the family law advisor for your area. They usually will provide free advice and help you draft forms, which you then may file with the court yourself.

I would try to avoid using an attorney whenever possible.

Start here:

http://www.hillsclerk.com/publicweb/FamilyLaw.aspx

You should try to get some court documentation confirming that you are the sole custodial parent - if the father won't co-operate. Short of that, get confirmation in writing from the line that no parental permission is required -- you never know when a line - or some of its representatives might start enforcing what has sadly become an increasingly necessary restriction.

As advised when you asked this question in another forum; check out the family law advisor for your area. They usually will provide free advice and help you draft forms, which you then may file with the court yourself.

I would try to avoid using an attorney whenever possible.

Start here:

http://www.hillsclerk.com/publicweb/FamilyLaw.aspx

Thanks 6rugrats, I will look them up. I just hate to contact an atty too as they will charge me an arm and a leg. I just wonder how long this will take as the cruise is this summer. But thank you again for the link.

We had a notarized form signed by our daughter and son-in-law for our DGD to join us on a Disney cruise and we were never asked about it. But I concur that not being prepared is not the right way to go.

As an alternative, since you have tried and tried, much as it might be a bit of an expense, you could ask a judge in divorce court to issue an order that you are allowed to take your daughter on a trip out of the country.

A few things I would note in the request and in the court order itself. That you have tried but the father has no cooperated in making contact. That the father and you are U.S. citizens, with permanent residences in the U.S. And perhaps finally that you are bringing the child back to the U.S. after a vacation. These requirements really came about when parents started trying to take their children out of the country permanently without the other parent's permission. Perhaps that is why we weren't asked, it was a closed loop cruise to and from the U.S. Should any authorities ask, your court order would show that you tried and the father was not cooperative, and that you have no intention of kidnapping your daughter and that you are returning to the U.S.

Unfortunately, you might need to pay the lawyer a bit to draft a petition, and then to go to court to get it signed. Such is life when some parents decide that they have no responsibilities, and the remaining parent has to shoulder all of it.

Thanks BBwex for the advise. I don't mind shouldering the responsibility, have been since she was born. But I look at since I am doing that then I want the full realm to make every decision for her since he doesn't contribute anything on that notion.

You should try to get some court documentation confirming that you are the sole custodial parent - if the father won't co-operate. Short of that, get confirmation in writing from the line that no parental permission is required -- you never know when a line - or some of its representatives might start enforcing what has sadly become an increasingly necessary restriction.

I agree, the court thing to get sole legal custody is going to be a battle that will take several months I am sure. The cruise is this summer so I am hoping I can get something at least for this. Thanks for your reply.

Do not rely upon some rep who happened to answer the phone when you asked your question. Sadly many are poorly trained and so often we read of erroneous responses they have given. You could possibly be denied boarding if you arrive without proper documentation. Sadly the best course is for you to get the situation handled in order for you to travel with peace of mind. If it requires a court order, may as well do it and get it over with. It isn't likely the situation is going to improve, is it?

Do not rely upon some rep who happened to answer the phone when you asked your question. Sadly many are poorly trained and so often we read of erroneous responses they have given. You could possibly be denied boarding if you arrive without proper documentation. Sadly the best course is for you to get the situation handled in order for you to travel with peace of mind. If it requires a court order, may as well do it and get it over with. It isn't likely the situation is going to improve, is it?

No I don't see it improving to be honest. I did call and speak to several different people though, if that means anything. I am sure I will eventually have to go to court but this isn't something that's going to fix itself by summer. Going back to court to change things is going to be a long drawn out process unfortunately.

You well could cruise with your DD and no one will ask to see the permission letter. But if they do ask, you probably will not be permitted to board the ship with her. No refund will be given.

The laws are such to prevent parental kidnapping and probably are necessary.

I sincerely hope you find a way for you and your DD to cruise and enjoy yourselves.

Good luck. :)

No I don't see it improving to be honest. I did call and speak to several different people though, if that means anything. I am sure I will eventually have to go to court but this isn't something that's going to fix itself by summer. Going back to court to change things is going to be a long drawn out process unfortunately.

It shouldn't be a "long drawn out" process just to get permission from the court to go on this cruise. Now, trying to get sole custody is another matter, but you don't need this to take the cruise.

Archived