Travel documents-no this isn't a passport question, I promise!

03yrb

I am a single parent and will be traveling with my daughter this coming summer on a cruise. I don't have a passport for her but obviously I have her birth certificate.

I keep hearing about some letter needed from the other parent to allow the child to travel on a cruise (or any other travel outside of the country). My deal is that the father is pretty much non-existent in her life. I have tried numerous times to contact him via phone calls, email and text and he doesn't respond. I have no clue what his address is as he has not provided one in close to year even though our divorce decree speficially states each party needs to give the other updated contact info. He has refused to give it to me.

At any rate, I want to know specficially, has anyone been in this situation and not had a letter? I am only directing this to those trying to board the cruise ship not those flying from another country etc. (that's all the posts I can find are only related to flying from Canada etc.)

I called Carnival and spoke with a person in reservations. She told me it is "recommended" to have it but that they won't deny someone getting on board the cruise ship. So again, can someone relate to this? Were you asked for a letter? Were you not? etc.

TIA for any insight. I am just a bit worried as I don't want to be spending all this money and get to the boarding gate and be told I can't board and lose it all. :(

BTW this is for Carnival Cruise Lines

I am a single parent and will be traveling with my daughter this coming summer on a cruise. I don't have a passport for her but obviously I have her birth certificate.

I keep hearing about some letter needed from the other parent to allow the child to travel on a cruise (or any other travel outside of the country). My deal is that the father is pretty much non-existent in her life. I have tried numerous times to contact him via phone calls, email and text and he doesn't respond. I have no clue what his address is as he has not provided one in close to year even though our divorce decree speficially states each party needs to give the other updated contact info. He has refused to give it to me.

At any rate, I want to know specficially, has anyone been in this situation and not had a letter? I am only directing this to those trying to board the cruise ship not those flying from another country etc. (that's all the posts I can find are only related to flying from Canada etc.)

I called Carnival and spoke with a person in reservations. She told me it is "recommended" to have it but that they won't deny someone getting on board the cruise ship. So again, can someone relate to this? Were you asked for a letter? Were you not? etc.

TIA for any insight. I am just a bit worried as I don't want to be spending all this money and get to the boarding gate and be told I can't board and lose it all. :(

BTW this is for Carnival Cruise Lines

My situation is similar but I had the courts remove his rights since he dropped off the face of the earth. For my cruise I am bringing the court documents that show this. Hope you get the answer you need !!

If you have legal, sole custody of your child and the papers to prove it, you don't need anything else. Be sure the birth certificate you have has a raised seal on it. They won't except a birth certificate if it doesn't have a raised seal. I just took my son's friend with us on a cruise last year and the mom has sole custody of him so she just gave me a notarized letter stating that fact and I had it with me when we checked in at the cruise terminal. They never asked me for it. He was 17. I hope this helps. If you have sole custody of your child, your ex DH has no say in anything legal having to do with her. Find your court papers that gave you sole custody and that will do it along with a copy of her birth certificate with a raised seal.:D

We are taking another one of my son's friends on our cruise coming up in one month and I am getting a notarized letter from both the parents (they are married) for this 16 year old to sail with us.

If you don't have sole custody, then I don't know what you need to do because that is a more complicated legal matter than I am qualified to deal with. The lady at Carnival is correct, they may not stop you from leaving. I know that we are going to Mexico and though Carnival may not check, I'm told the Mexican authorities will not let me take my son's friend into their country without a notarized authorization from the parents, so I'm not going without it.

Good luck and Happy Sailing!:)

We have sailed with two of our grandkids three times. We got the letter from both parents of one of them each time. The other one is like your situation and we got the letter each time from the Mother only. In it, she stated she had sole custody, although we had nothing other than her letter to prove that.

We have never been asked to show the letters, at check-in or anywhere else.

When my daughter and I cruised on Carnival - just the two of us - I brought a copy of my divorce papers showing I had primary custody. I had them ready, but they never asked to see anything. They didn't even question that she was only travelling with one parent. I've always taken them with me when we've left the country and even when flying I've never been asked. My (new & improved) husband has also taken our younger daughter on a cruise (Royal Caribbean) and I sent along my signed "consent" papers with him but he was never asked for it either.

I'll continue to pack them with me, but to be honest if I ever forget them at home I won't really be concerned. Based on *my* experience you should be just fine!

I'm in a similar situation, being a single parent and traveling with my son. His 'father' is on his BC after being amended by the state once I filed for child support, etc. Even though he is minimally involved in his life, I had to get the notarized letter from him- no way am I chancing being denied boarding, plus we have a stop in Mexico. Even though my custody is implied, we were never married and have no custody agreement in place yet-he is too selfish to be a parent. Does your divorce decree state you have 100% legal custody? If not, I would calling my lawyer to get some sort of legal document stating this since you can't contact him. Maybe you can initiate him giving up parental rights? Good luck!

If your documents state you have sole legal custody, then you will not have an issue but bring them with you. If you have joint custody, then yes, they can ask you for a letter indicating that the non custodial parent is aware of the trip and has approved it. Will it happen? No one knows. But if you are asked for it and you don't have it, they will not let you board.

It doesn't matter what others tell you. If you are the one, and they ask for it and you don't have it (or papers indicating you would not need it) they can deny you boarding.

I would consult with the attorney about how best to handle this situation.

I actually did a LOT of research on this as I was reading conflicting information. We were having trouble getting our youngest child's mother giving her consent for him to go. Carnival will not ask for this letter. They recommend it, but primarily in case customs asks for it. The US has no exit requirements, so you don't need permission from the other parent to take your child out of the country. Also, Mexico USED to require this document in order for the child do debark in Mexico with only one parent, but they no longer require it.

If your custody papers show that you have primary/sole custody, you shouldn't have any problems anyway. I have never read of an incident on Carnival where this letter was required. I bet you will be fine.

You may want to consider getting your child's passport. Typically, a parent's signature is required, or if the parent is out of the picture, you can get it without the other parent's permission. Good Luck!

I am going to raise a moral issue that you may or may not feel comfortable with.

If you have a friend or family member that is a notary you could have a letter signed by him and have them notarize it.

Your other option is to obtain a passport as there is an area on the passport application that lets you explain the absence. With the passport she can travel via cruise with you and without the letter.

Be sure the birth certificate you have has a raised seal on it. They won't except a birth certificate if it doesn't have a raised seal.

Not quite. Many states no longer use raised seals and the government doesn't require them (but one must make sure it's a state issued birth certificate).

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

From http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

I am going to raise a moral issue that you may or may not feel comfortable with.

If you have a friend or family member that is a notary you could have a letter signed by him and have them notarize it.

Your other option is to obtain a passport as there is an area on the passport application that lets you explain the absence. With the passport she can travel via cruise with you and without the letter.

While the risk may be very low getting caught doing something like this might lead to jail time (in addition to being denied boarding). Personally I wouldn't risk it (but that's just me).

Like soonerbaby said you can apply for a passport. You have to go by the post office and get the parental consent form, and at the bottom is where you will fill out for absent or unwilling parent. I didn't have to use that, but it was nice knowing that if I had problems that was an option.

I did get a consent form for our last trip cause it went to mexico (thanks to my sis for getting my sons brother to get it from him, too bad that option is now closed to me. funny thing is I can drive over to mexico anytime and not have to have any papers.) but they didn't even ask for it. This time I will just be bringing my legal papers showing I have custody. Hopefully it won't be an issue, since he did sign for the passport.

Hope all goes well for you.

If you have legal, sole custody of your child and the papers to prove it, you don't need anything else. Be sure the birth certificate you have has a raised seal on it. They won't except a birth certificate if it doesn't have a raised seal. I just took my son's friend with us on a cruise last year and the mom has sole custody of him so she just gave me a notarized letter stating that fact and I had it with me when we checked in at the cruise terminal. They never asked me for it. He was 17. I hope this helps. If you have sole custody of your child, your ex DH has no say in anything legal having to do with her. Find your court papers that gave you sole custody and that will do it along with a copy of her birth certificate with a raised seal.:D

We are taking another one of my son's friends on our cruise coming up in one month and I am getting a notarized letter from both the parents (they are married) for this 16 year old to sail with us.

If you don't have sole custody, then I don't know what you need to do because that is a more complicated legal matter than I am qualified to deal with. The lady at Carnival is correct, they may not stop you from leaving. I know that we are going to Mexico and though Carnival may not check, I'm told the Mexican authorities will not let me take my son's friend into their country without a notarized authorization from the parents, so I'm not going without it.

Good luck and Happy Sailing!:)

Wrong. Not all birth certificates have raised seals. Mine doesn't and it works just fine!!

If you don't have custody papers and can't get in touch with other parent and don't have time to get a passport for the child, I would get the copy of the absent parent form that is used for passport application, fill it out and have it notarized.

Not much else you can do.

I wouldn't worry to much about it because when you get back on the ship they just check your picture ID and key card.

But that brings up a good point. we are traveling with my 2 yr old granddaughter this year (we have custody). Since she doesn't have a picture ID yet, what do they have you show when getting back on the ship? I really don't want like the idea of having to carry her passport with us to the beach..

If you don't have custody papers and can't get in touch with other parent and don't have time to get a passport for the child, I would get the copy of the absent parent form that is used for passport application, fill it out and have it notarized.

Not much else you can do.

I wouldn't worry to much about it because when you get back on the ship they just check your picture ID and key card.

But that brings up a good point. we are traveling with my 2 yr old granddaughter this year (we have custody). Since she doesn't have a picture ID yet, what do they have you show when getting back on the ship? I really don't want like the idea of having to carry her passport with us to the beach..

16 or over is when the photo id becomes a requirement.

If you have legal, sole custody of your child and the papers to prove it, you don't need anything else. . . . If you have sole custody of your child, your ex DH has no say in anything legal having to do with her. Find your court papers that gave you sole custody and that will do it along with a copy of her birth certificate with a raised seal.

This is a myth. Unless the absent parent has had their parental rights terminated the letter is still required. Giving one parent sole legal and physical custody does not terminate the other parents rights, inspite of what some people with nasty ex spouses would have you believe.

. . . Be sure the birth certificate you have has a raised seal on it. They won't except a birth certificate if it doesn't have a raised seal. . . .

This is also a frequently misquoted myth. You must have a certified government issued birth certificate. No raised seal is required and for most people under the age of 20 obtaining a birth certificate with a raised seal is impossible.

While the risk may be very low getting caught doing something like this might lead to jail time (in addition to being denied boarding). Personally I wouldn't risk it (but that's just me).

That is why I mentioned it is a moral issue. The risk of getting caught is pretty much zero...there is no way to check signatures to see that they do not match. And no one keeps the letter, they just need to see it, so it would be destroyed later anyway.

Odds are they will not ask for it, but I would call the state where you live and see if they have any type of absent parent affidavit or anything that you can be issued. It is amazing that a deadbeat or absent parent could prevent you from vacationing and enjoying your life...

I think this is why they don't usually ask for it, because it is a problem that they see quite a bit. Now, if the child were not yours, you would need something from the parents...

I would not want to rely on the people who say that they never had a problem. You don't want to be the first, after all.

If all else fails, I would just create a document and call it something like "Affidavit re Absent Parent"

In it you can list the circumstances such as you have sole legal and physical custody, that the other parent has been absent for x number of years and you have not been able to locate him despite diligent and good faith efforts to do so, blah, blah, blah...

Have the document you create notarized and present that to them in the unlikely event they ask for it.

It is unlikely that they will ask for it, but if they do, at least you will have an official looking notarized statement that you can present to them. The person checking you in is not going to pour over the document, they would most likely just glance at it.

It is better than going with nothing.

Wow! I actually brought a child with me on a cruise and he was a minor (a friend of my son's). I was never even asked for any permission from the parents to take him along. I brought his birth certificate and a letter in case of emergency medical attention. But all they ever asked for was the birth certificate.

I have to say I am glad to hear that some have traveled without the letter. I don't have sole custody anything which is ridiculous since she lives with me 100% of the time and I can count how many times he has seen her in 5 years on two hands. I am her mother and father, always have been and always will be.

I do know about the place on the passport form to explain things but then I hear many times that's not a guarantee they will get a passport for her.

My decree does state specifically about about travel in an document of added addendums based on our mediation way back when, that neither of us signed but it became part of our decree. Thing is, it doesn't give rise to a concern, if he were in jail or just dropped off the face of the earth, then what is a parent to do? Frankly I don't want to take the divorce papers due to that.

As for BCs, like others have stated, it doesn't need to be a raised seal. The states have ones that are digital and I have certified copies that I ordered after her birth. They are legit anywhere we go that needs a BC.

The reservation rep at Carnival told me only time I would need a letter for sure and the passport is if we were disembarking in Mexico and not getting back on the ship. The ship would have to be docked 24 hours or longer also for us to need that documenation and Carnival only docks a few hours in Cozemul. So I know Mexico won't be a problem or any other port on the cruise. My biggest worry is "just" getting on board.

My child and I have different last names but the BC proves that I am her mother since it uses my maiden name.

I guess I am going to have to consult an attorney since I just feel so stuck at this point and want to do the right thing. However, it bothers me that the father can do whatever he wants, break things in our decree and no one holds his feet to the fire <sigh> and all I want to do is take my child on vacation..ughhh so frustrating.

I would not want to rely on the people who say that they never had a problem. You don't want to be the first, after all.

If all else fails, I would just create a document and call it something like "Affidavit re Absent Parent"

In it you can list the circumstances such as you have sole legal and physical custody, that the other parent has been absent for x number of years and you have not been able to locate him despite diligent and good faith efforts to do so, blah, blah, blah...

Have the document you create notarized and present that to them in the unlikely event they ask for it.

It is unlikely that they will ask for it, but if they do, at least you will have an official looking notarized statement that you can present to them. The person checking you in is not going to pour over the document, they would most likely just glance at it.

It is better than going with nothing.

That's an interesting option that you provide. Hmmm. I may have to think about that one too, thanks.

The reservation rep at Carnival told me only time I would need a letter for sure and the passport is if we were disembarking in Mexico and not getting back on the ship. The ship would have to be docked 24 hours or longer also for us to need that documenation and Carnival only docks a few hours in Cozemul. So I know Mexico won't be a problem or any other port on the cruise. My biggest worry is "just" getting on board.

The increased scrutiny in Mexico seems to be because the largest number of parental-abductions are between Mexico and the US. Cozumel was also one of the ports my daughter and I visited. Again with no problems - but again just *my* personal experience.

My child and I have different last names but the BC proves that I am her mother since it uses my maiden name.

My stack of documents includes her birth certificate in my previously married name, my (new) marriage certificate to show my new name, my divorce decree to show my custody AND her name change paperwork since we had her last name legally change after I got remarried. Plus her passport, of course. I'm honestly sometimes disappointed no one has ever wanted to see all my paperwork!

I guess I am going to have to consult an attorney since I just feel so stuck at this point and want to do the right thing. However, it bothers me that the father can do whatever he wants, break things in our decree and no one holds his feet to the fire <sigh> and all I want to do is take my child on vacation..ughhh so frustrating.

Amen to that!! You'll get through it and have a great vacation. At least she's got one great parent looking out for her. :)

Archived