Caribbean Princess delayed!

2theship

Just called RCCL, you are right, they don't offer a 24 hr hold :(

They certainly do..go on their webiste pick your cruise and click 24 hr courtesy hold...I just did one.

Ah crap...I guess it has to be further out then the week of sailing..sorry just checked for yours and yes the option doesn't appear

Forgot to mention the abundance of nice restaurants! Lots in Old San Juan as well as in other parts of the Island. Near the Conquistador Resort is a very nice restaurant serving local dishes, some with an international spin. It is called "La Pasion por el Fogon". In the commercial part of the metropolitan region is "Sangria Global Cuisine" which is amazing! There is also "Latitutes" another excellent place, and in Old San Juan there is "Raices", "Parrot Club", "Aguaviva", and "Dragonfly". Some of the best food I have had and I have traveled all over USA, Europe and as far as China! Give San Juan and Puerto Rico a chance and it may surprise you! ;)

Disclaimer: I DONT work for the Puerto Rico Tourism Board. I just know where to go!!

Couldn't you just ask to be moved to a different ship - like the Crown or Grand. This week might be to late (I think the list must be sent to Homeland Security like 42 hours prior to sailing). But if it looks like problem going into the week of 3/25, I would think Princess would try to move people over.

San Juan is OK for a day but it isn't exactly the jewel of the Caribbean! A week would be a bit much...unless it was free.:D

Again, San Juan is not the only thing to see in Puerto Rico. A week in San Juan is too much but a week in Puerto Rico, definitely doable. You have to get out of the mindset that is only SAN JUAN. You are not prisioners of San Juan, you are allowed to move around the island. I understand that when you plan for a cruise you are thinking you are going to be visiting a lot of different places, but if worst comes to worst and you dont have trip insurance and cannot cancel air to San Juan, then there are other things to do and still enjoy. Princess will refund the money from the cancelled cruise and you can use that for hotel and food. It is not a punishment if you dont want it to be. If you can make other arrangements with another cruise line then that is excellent. I am just trying to point out that being stuck in Puerto Rico (Not San Juan only) may not be as bad as some may think :rolleyes:.

Also forgot the Yunque National Forest. Part of the United States National Park System. Speaking of US, since Puerto Rico is part of US you dont have any hassles with money, passport, etc. Just trying to point out that it is not the end of the world. You can make the best of it if the cruise ends up being cancelled.

My flight leaves Thursday night.... I can get a change until 6 pm tonight with 150$ change fee.......but if the cruise is not cancelled.....obviously I don't get my cruise fare back. If I wait ....I lose my flight as it was airmiles....a LOT of airmiles as I am flying from Edmonton......and / or take my chances and go to San Juan for 10 days if the cruise is cancelled. Which will end up costing WAY more than the cruise, and definitely not my first choice for a beach vacation!

lovetravel101

i feel for you

it is very difficult to decide what to do and like you said, not sure i would want to spend 10 days in san juan

unless you took a flight from san juan to st thomas

Just as another option - there is a ferry from San Juan to St. Thomas.

I empathize with all of those travelling this weekend as well as the passengers on board right now. It is hard to have a last minute change of plans when you have decided on your vacation plans months in advance. I am shocked by the negativity and mean, hateful comments that people make on these discussion boards. We cruise in 3 weeks and I will sit on the pier in San Juan if I have to for a week to get away from the cold and snow here in Canada!

CRUISEANDBREEZING

i did not put this island down,

Yes, you did. You said it was old and boring. Saying something is boring is not the nicest compliment. I am only trying to point out that THERE ARE things to do in Puerto Rico, other than staying in the San Juan area. Like PrincessE said you can also take ferries to other places. Saint Thomas, Culebra, Vieques, Dominican Republic to name a few. I am trying to point out that if you have no choice at the end and cannot cancel flight, there are options to at least enjoy a vacation in the caribbean. Have you spent more than a day in Puerto Rico before? Maybe you have and then are ready for something different but if you havent, get out of San Juan and see the rest of the Island. Is not all history. There is a lot of Nature and many other beaches other than the ones near San Juan. I may not be in the next CB cruise but I have a particular interest in seeing this ship sailing because I will be sailing on it in a few weeks. Hopefully it will be fixed for all of you on Sunday but if it isnt, try to enjoy a caribbean vacation anyway. It is still better than working or staying home, I think :rolleyes:

Cruisin' & Breezin'

Thank you so much for your list of Puerto Rico to-do's.

Regardless of how our cruise plans turn out on Sunday, we are planning a fantastic adventure discovering places we have never been before.

Living the life and making lemonade....

Crusin' & Breezin, WELL SAID. As mentioned, I've been to Puerto Rico 5 times now and until now, just had an extra day pre/post cruise and stayed in San Juan. However, having 2 pre and 1 post, it was driving all over, ending up in Guavate, Cayey. This was it......... I can now say that PR is the destination next year too.

As you pointed out, we're not prisoners of San Juan, or Old San Juan.... Catano, Condado, etc.

I believe many don't give Puerto Rico a chance and just go for the fact that it's a cruise ship port.....that's it. Come on people! Give the island a fair shake! If the ship is out of commision, use it as a floating hotel where you'll have the finest food, accomodations and activities!

We are travelling from Nova Scotia Canada on Saturday and are hoping ( fingers and toes have been crossed for awhile now:D) that the cruise will continue has we have had planned for a long time now :confused:(flight booked with AA ( thats another story ) since last August. But if the cruise is cancelled, we fully intend to enjoy our week in the sun one way or another. As was said before - when lifes gives you lemons... made lemonade or better yet bring some tequila and...:rolleyes:

Yes' date=' you did. You said it was old and boring. Saying something is boring is not the nicest compliment. I am only trying to point out that THERE ARE things to do in Puerto Rico, other than staying in the San Juan area. Like PrincessE said you can also take ferries to other places. Saint Thomas, Culebra, Vieques, Dominican Republic to name a few. I am trying to point out that if you have no choice at the end and cannot cancel flight, there are options to at least enjoy a vacation in the caribbean. Have you spent more than a day in Puerto Rico before? Maybe you have and then are ready for something different but if you havent, get out of San Juan and see the rest of the Island. Is not all history. There is a lot of Nature and many other beaches other than the ones near San Juan. I may not be in the next CB cruise but I have a particular interest in seeing this ship sailing because I will be sailing on it in a few weeks. Hopefully it will be fixed for all of you on Sunday but if it isnt, try to enjoy a caribbean vacation anyway. It is still better than working or staying home, I think :rolleyes:[/quote']

wait! Are you saying "old and boring" is a put down? All this time I thought my adult children were complimenting me. Who knew? ;)

Appreciate your list of all there is to do and see on Puerto Rico. Almost makes me wish Princess would decide to return to San Juan next year so I could do a pre cruise vacation.

To add one suggestion to your list of restaurants: Ropa Vieja in Condado turns out some tasty Cuban-Puerto Rican food. The goat stew is to die for...honest.

It is a corporate culture of negligence which caused this problem. Carnival runs Costa and Princess. There have been fires, ships sitting in open ocean without power, loss of engines, death due to knowingly allowing an incompetent captain sail a vessel, and not maintaining ships properly. A person who pays for an expensive vacation can and should expect compensation for incompetence and negligence from a corporate entity. Our safety was at risk with one engine and they knew that engine needed repair.

To add one suggestion to your list of restaurants: Ropa Vieja in Condado turns out some tasty Cuban-Puerto Rican food. The goat stew is to die for...honest.

Thanks for the restaurant suggestion. I will try it next time! I love finding new places to eat when I go there. I have been all over the island and the food is really good all over the place!

I love that so many people have the right attitude. Lemonade is not bad ;)

It would be better on the deck of a nice ship but it is still better under a palm tree than at my desk :D

If, God Fobid, it takes too long to fix the ship, I will definitely find something to do on my boarding port when it is time for my cruise! Thank God for travel books and online travel boards to get information :)

with the amount of money that i have spent on cruise and flights, Am i allowed to decide where I want to go for a holiday?

IF YOU GUYS CAN ENJOY SPENDING 1 FULL WEEK in san juan, well do so

i was there last year for two days and i would never ever spend a week there, even if it was free. I am not putting this island down

i went to Jamaica twice and loved it. Some other people hated Jamaica

we are not all the same

aM i ALLOWED TO FEEL THAT WAY

there is a big difference between sitting on a beach in San Juan than sitting on a beach in Antigua

comon, give me a break

Archived