Caribbean Princess delayed!

2theship

Watergirl, if it were me, I'd still go. Why? You've planned the week (or however long it is) for vacation. Go... worst case is that you don't cruise. However, there are numerous ships that you could POSSIBLY get onto on Sunday (Adventure of the Seas, Victory, etc).

Otherwise, if you can't get on a ship (other than the one you're booked on), there are PLENTY of sights to see in PR. We were 2 days pre and 1 day post cruise. I rented a car and drove 60 miles to a town called Guavate, Cayey. Local food, locals, scenery...... vastly different than Old San Juan, but well worth the drive. ($40 for the car for the day). That was the highlight of the trip.

Again, my advice would be to go anyway...otherwise, you'll loose out on the airfare (unless you have insurance).... go and "WING IT".

Have a great vacation nevertheless! It's better than being at work!

We are scheduled to fly down to San Juan this Saturday morning. If they cancel our cruise we will not get the message as they only have our home phone number and cell phone coverage is dicey in PR. We booked our airfare on our own and have prepaid the Saturday night hotel. I cannot tell you how worried we are. Do we fly down anyway and hope for the best? what would you do?

I think there is a good chance we will know this afternoon/evening based on the communication passengers onboard have received.

Laura

ahracer- did you book directly with Celebrity to get that 24 hr hold? I am interested in doing the same thing with RCCL

I did it on the Celebrity web site. I tried on RCCL for the Adventure of the Seas but they didn't seem to offer a 24hr hold as an option.

I might call and see.

Watergirl, if it were me, I'd still go. Why? You've planned the week (or however long it is) for vacation. Go... worst case is that you don't cruise. However, there are numerous ships that you could POSSIBLY get onto on Sunday (Adventure of the Seas, Victory, etc).

Otherwise, if you can't get on a ship (other than the one you're booked on), there are PLENTY of sights to see in PR. We were 2 days pre and 1 day post cruise. I rented a car and drove 60 miles to a town called Guavate, Cayey. Local food, locals, scenery...... vastly different than Old San Juan, but well worth the drive. ($40 for the car for the day). That was the highlight of the trip.

Again, my advice would be to go anyway...otherwise, you'll loose out on the airfare (unless you have insurance).... go and "WING IT".

Have a great vacation nevertheless! It's better than being at work!

Hotel rooms are kind of scarce as it is spring break and lots of hotels had limited avaibility weeks ago. We started out looking for a land vacation, but wound up booking for Sunday. Laura

I did it on the Celebrity web site. I tried on RCCL for the Adventure of the Seas but they didn't seem to offer a 24hr hold as an option.

I might call and see.

Just called RCCL, you are right, they don't offer a 24 hr hold :(

We are scheduled to fly down to San Juan this Saturday morning. If they cancel our cruise we will not get the message as they only have our home phone number and cell phone coverage is dicey in PR. We booked our airfare on our own and have prepaid the Saturday night hotel. I cannot tell you how worried we are. Do we fly down anyway and hope for the best? what would you do?

I think you should call princess and not wait for them to contact you

I think the people being effected by this who did not purchase travel insurance are probably now regretting it. I don't think every other post pointing out how they should have purchased travel insurance is constructive.

However even if you did not purchase travel insurance this is not the end of the world. If Princess cancels the cruise they will refund you $$ and you can cancel your air and receive a credit from the airline for future use minus the cancellation fee.

This sucks but the world isn't ending. If anyone needs help any exploring their options please feel free to send me a private message.

since they are letting the current pax stay on the ship in SJ until Sunday..PCL is in essence making the ship the pax land based hotel until then....so no worries about finding a room during Spring Break.

So for those pax who do fly down to SJ and can't get a room and can't afford to lose the price of airfare yada yada...

don't you think that PCL will again just use their ship as a hotel for you?

They will not let you sleep in the streets....and the ship can obviously operate in port as evidenced by the fact that pax can stay on until sunday...

now..if there are operational problems in port that mandate shuting down systems...like plumbing etc...that is a different ball game...

of course pax should and will be notified and can make their own decision...but as I see it...unforseen operational issues aside...the ship can function as a hotel and you can have a vacation in SJ..

on the brighter side...should all be fixed..then it will be business as usual..maybe with a shorter itin...but still you will have your 7 nights...be it at sea or on land...

and before anyone gets upset..yes...pax have the right to decide if this is what they want...or to cancel altogether...just like all the cruise lines offer to the pax...

Why do you say cell coverage is dicey in PR? What company do you have? Puerto Rico has coverage from almost all major cell companies in US and you should be covered without extra expense, that is, should be covered under your regular current contract with your anytime minutes. I travel to PR at least twice a year, sometimes more and at different times, between my husband and me, we have had coverage with Sprint, ATT and Verizon. Never had a problem. All services are available same as in US. The only reason we have changed carriers is in pursuit of the iPhone :D or for work reasons :( .

Why do you say cell coverage is dicey in PR? What company do you have? Puerto Rico has coverage from almost all major cell companies in US and you should be covered without extra expense' date=' that is, should be covered under your regular current contract with your anytime minutes. I travel to PR at least twice a year, sometimes more and at different times, between my husband and me, we have had coverage with Sprint, ATT and Verizon. Never had a problem. All services are available same as in US. The only reason we have changed carriers is in pursuit of the iPhone :D or for work reasons :( .[/quote']

Agree 100%.l

Not only did my cell work beautifully in Puerto Rico, but the ATT 3G on my iphone worked for at least three hours after we set sail. I spent time taking photos off our aft balcony and messaging them to family and friends.

There are many valid reasons to be concerned about the status of future Caribbean Princess cruises. Princess not being able to contact you in Puerto Rico is not one of them.

Agree 100%.l

Not only did my cell work beautifully in Puerto Rico, but the ATT 3G on my iphone worked for at least three hours after we set sail. I spent time taking photos off our aft balcony and messaging them to family and friends.

There are many valid reasons to be concerned about the status of future Caribbean Princess cruises. Princess not being able to contact you in Puerto Rico is not one of them.

I'm guessing St Thomas is also covered. Can anyone confirm? Thanks

I'm guessing St Thomas is also covered. Can anyone confirm? Thanks

Yes, St Thomas is also covered. Just finished our cruise this past Sunday and I was delighted to find phone/3G coverage in Puerto Rico and the USVI.

My one regret: I have a US National Park Pass that I left at home. I found out too late that the Pass is valid for US Park Service installations in Puertro Rico and the USVI's as well.

If I were you I'd give Princess the telephone number of my hotel.

And if it were me, I'd still fly down. I'd have a vacation in San Juan and/or take the ferry to the USVI. Make the best of it. Determine to have a great time no matter what.

well to have been in san juan last year, i am sorry but i woulkd not spend more than one day there

if you are into history, yes, but if you are into beaches, might as well stay home

just talk to princess a minute ago and they will not know until friday if the cruise is cancelled or not

well to have been in san juan last year, i am sorry but i woulkd not spend more than one day there

if you are into history, yes, but if you are into beaches, might as well stay home

just talk to princess a minute ago and they will not know until friday if the cruise is cancelled or not

Plenty of great beaches in Puerto Rico you just have to get out of San juan.

Well if that's true, that is pretty tough on those leaving this weekend. Many will fly Saturday to have extra time (I know we are in April) so that doesn't leave a lot of time to fool with changing flights. Plus, all that packing and prep that might be for naught...yikes! For those on next cruise, might be worth doing a little pro-active planning or phone calls to airlines to see what options are.

I've never been to SJ but even I'm not sure I'd want to spend a whole week there. And I love history! :rolleyes: I think our cruise in April will be fine but I'm still doing a little research to see what my options are just in case. May just take change fee hit and go somewhere else to a resort. We are fortunate though - we have means to be flexible and have travel insurance. For those who don't have either, I really feel for you. :(

Good luck to all! Just remember, the most important thing is safety of psgrs. You sure don't want them to do a quick-fix and then be in the same boat (pardon the pun) next week!

There are a lot of very nice beaches in Puerto Rico. If you stay close to San Juan then you are out of luck, but explore a bit and you'll be surprised! The eastern coast has some very nice beaches as well as take a ferry to Culebra or Vieques. Culebra has been featured in the Travel Channel as having one of the best beaches in the Caribbean and Vieques is not that different. You could also stay at the Conquistador Beach Resort, a 5 Star resort with its own water park in Fajardo, Puerto Rico. They also have their own private tiny island with a beautiful unspoiled beach. They take you there in their own ferry and they can serve you drinks and snacks right in your chaise lounge. Near the resort is the Fluorescent Bay in Las Cabezas de Fajardo. They do night Kayak tours so you can see the fluorescent water. Like someone said you can drive to Guavate, Cayey and eat traditional Puertorrican food. Delicious!! Have been featured in Antony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern from the travel channel also. You can tour the Bacardi Distillery in Catano, near San Juan. If you are into shopping, Plaza las Americas is one of the biggest shopping malls in the caribbean and has all the high end stores as well as a few of little local stores with local artisanal products. There are also two big outlet malls in different ends of the north coast of the island. That is separate from the outlet stores througout Old San Juan.

That is just a few that come to mind in short notice.

Old San Juan is history but there is a lot more to Puerto Rico than Old San Juan. ;)

Archived