Caribbean Princess delayed!

2theship

We are on the ship that departs on Sunday, the 18th, if it does at all..I just called Princess, as well, and first of all the guy told me it was "news to him", but after he looked into it, he did confirm the ship was headed back to SJ and that the problem "will take significant time to fix". That was from a report 7 minutes ago from a technician working on the ship's issues. He said he didn't know if "significant" means 48 hrs or 1 week. We shall see. Definitely nervous about this and feel bad for the current passengers.

Assuming this holds. this means very likely at least a 3-4 week downtime I would think (maybe less if they drydock in San Juan).

Supposedly it will be fixed by the weekend.

Something tells me it will be what's behind Door No. 3.

Guess it will be done in San Juan in that case.

According to the staff on board, it is headed to FLL after San Juan for dry dock. It sounds like the story is a living one that may change by the hour as Princess assesses the situation.

:eek:Just called TA. They don't know anything about it. We are sailing (maybe) on 3/25. Sounds like they have known about this engine problem for quite some time. They probably would have had better PR if they had pulled the ship for emergency drydock and notified the passengers so that alternate plans could be made. Now my in-laws are on there way to my house for a pre-cruise visit:eek: and we may have flights to SJ and no ship:mad::mad::mad: In 25 + cruises, we have had to reroute because of hurricanes, we've missed ports because of unrest, illness, emergencies on board, couldn't tender because of wind, tides etc Hell, we even had to get on the CCL ship that crashed into the RCCL just after it happened (our cabin was the next cabin down from the crunch) but this really ticks me off. To all the folks aboard... we wish you a safe return to SJ. To everyone else waiting ..we wish for good news. To Princess...really????

I can't imagine how. The ship has to limp back to SJ, offload, get to drydock space (if available), drain the dock, raise the ship, repair the propeller and refloat the ship, then test. In 4 days? At the shipyard near here it takes 6-10 hours just to drain the dock when everything goes perfect and they have a fast gravity drain system.

Now, if its not really a drydock, just a service porting where repairs could be done underwater, then I could see it.

Supposedly it will be fixed by the weekend.

According to the staff on board, it is headed to FLL after San Juan for dry dock. It sounds like the story is a living one that may change by the hour as Princess assesses the situation.

Matt, that doesn't sound good! I wonder what we will be doing on April 15 :confused:

I can't imagine how. The ship has to limp back to SJ, offload, get to drydock space (if available), drain the dock, raise the ship, repair the propeller and refloat the ship, then test. In 4 days? At the shipyard near here it takes 6-10 hours just to drain the dock when everything goes perfect and they have a fast gravity drain system.

Now, if its not really a drydock, just a service porting where repairs could be done underwater, then I could see it.

I suspect information is coming fast but spotty at this point. It may change at any time. Aside from Princess corporate and the captain, there is probably little reliable information available.

Matt, that doesn't sound good! I wonder what we will be doing on April 15 :confused:

Linda, I am crossing my fingers for our trip and for the trips of those in between now and then. I really hope they can get things back in ship shape (so to speak) so all the passengers can continue on with their dream vacations.

Linda, I am crossing my fingers for our trip and for the trips of those in between now and then. I really hope they can get things back in ship shape (so to speak) so all the passengers can continue on with their dream vacations.

Hope so too Matt! Keeping positive thoughts here in FL :)

I just got off the phone with Princess also, trying to figure out our Plan B...

The representative said it was a problem with a "port propulsion module" and that they were coming back to SJ for repairs. When I specifically asked about this next Sunday's cruise, she said they we are still good to go...

Still going to create a plan B (and C) in case we find out something different tomorrow.

Just got off the phone with a Princess rep. approx 15 minutes ago they received an update stating that the ship is headed back to Puerto Rico due to extensive damage. They will not know until it has been examined in Puerto Rico as to how long the port side propulsion engine will take to fix. Assuming it is the problem they think it is and nothing further is found the cruise next week will be going on as scheduled.

I was advised to check back daily for further updates. An email will be sent if there are any changes for embarkation. If it isn't known until close to departure, ie the day before, they will personally phone all passengers.

Laura

Now that the dreaded "D word" has been uttered, I'm a bit more stressed. I'm not even sure the Carnival Victory will even have enough room for all the displaced Princess passengers who even want to sail on a Carnival ship. And of course, until there's any official word from Princess, booking that isn't even an option :(

My sailing is the last one before the TA (well, the cruise that goes from SJ to New York before heading across the pond). You'd think they'll really try their damnedest to get this ship running before the high dollar Europe season begins. I'm hoping the ship needing to be in San Juan to begin that TA will be a good sign for my cruise (and those before, of course :))

I just got off the phone with Princess as well. She read me the entire statement which said at this time it is unknown whether the cruise on 3/18 will be canceled.

It also said current passengers are getting a full reimbursement plus can stay on the ship in SJU until Sunday.

Hopefully they don't keep us hanging. I can't put plan B into effect until I no for sure it is canceled.

Now that the dreaded "D word" has been uttered, I'm a bit more stressed. I'm not even sure the Carnival Victory will even have enough room for all the displaced Princess passengers who even want to sail on a Carnival ship. And of course, until there's any official word from Princess, booking that isn't even an option :(

My sailing is the last one before the TA (well, the cruise that goes from SJ to New York before heading across the pond). You'd think they'll really try their damnedest to get this ship running before the high dollar Europe season begins. I'm hoping the ship needing to be in San Juan to begin that TA will be a good sign for my cruise (and those before, of course :))

You can bet they will make sure it is running soundly before crossing the Atlantic - that's for sure.

I guess we will know more in the coming days whether or not we will be making our April sailings :(

I just got off the phone with Princess as well. She read me the entire statement which said at this time it is unknown whether the cruise on 3/18 will be canceled.

It also said current passengers are getting a full reimbursement plus can stay on the ship in SJU until Sunday.

Hopefully they don't keep us hanging. I can't put plan B into effect until I no for sure it is canceled.

Seems strange that the passengers can stay on until Sunday but they were supposed to be unloading and heading to FLL for dry dock?

If they don't sail to FLL until Sunday there can't be a 3/18 cruise :confused:

Seems strange that the passengers can stay on until Sunday but they were supposed to be unloading and heading to FLL for dry dock?

I didn't hear anything about drydock in FLL in the announcement read by the Princess rep.

Laura

There is no dry dock in FLL! there is one in Freeport, but it will take at least 2 days to reach there and another 2 to get to San Juan,so she won't be back by Sunday...

I didn't hear anything about drydock in FLL in the announcement read by the Princess rep.

Laura

Just going by what was mentioned in this thread. I'm guessing the story will be changing over the next couple of days so who knows :confused:

We were on board on 1-15-12 & a crew member that worked in the engine room sang a song as part of the crew talent show. The cruise director asked him how the engines were running & his response was that they were running perfectly.

So these engine problems that everyone is talking about had to have happened after we returned to San Juan on 1-22-12!!

As for the dry dock mentioned, they will have to go to Freeport, as San Juan doesn't have a drydock!!

Lots of conflicting stories including passengers can stay on in SJU until Sunday. meaning the ship can't go anywhere before then?

I'm sure there will be more accurate reports from Princess in the days to follow.

I just cannot get over all the different types of incidents this year within the cruise industry. From Costa, all the Noro outbreaks and all the breakdowns and all the delays.

I don't ever recall hearing all these things on a weekly basis! What is going on?

To all of you that have plans up in the air and for the cruisers on the CB now, I feel for you all and wish the best outcome for your cruises. I know I would be a total reck without concrete answers.

Archived