I'm a beer snob. HELP

rydan

Does anyone have a current copy of a full bar menu? Just curious about the available imported beer's.

Do they only serve bottle/cans or do they also have a selection on tap?

Thank you,

Beer snob here as well and you WILL be disappointed.

Besides the usual domestics (the best being Blue Moon, I guess), IIRC they had:

Dos Equis

Heineken

Stella Artois

Boddington

Corona

Bass Ale

Urquell

Beck's

Fosters

Molson

They were canned, too

My DW and myself like good ales and micor brews also,,can't stand things like Bud,Coors,Miller. But you drink enough Grolsch and you forget about it. I have never seen the Boddingtons so I guess I will try that too.

My DW and myself like good ales and micor brews also,,can't stand things like Bud,Coors,Miller. But you drink enough Grolsch and you forget about it. I have never seen the Boddingtons so I guess I will try that too.

I find the Boddingtons quite nice--usually my beer of choice--a pretty fine pub ale. Next time I also want to check out what is on tap. :)

Beer snob here as well and you WILL be disappointed.

Besides the usual domestics (the best being Blue Moon, I guess), IIRC they had:

Dos Equis

Heineken

Stella Artois

Boddington

Corona

Bass Ale

Urquell

Beck's

Fosters

Molson

They were canned, too

I remember canned Guiness being available on the Elation and Glory last year. The Red Frog draft on Glory was drinkable, but I agree with others in this thread that it's similar to Killian's.

I find the Boddingtons quite nice--usually my beer of choice--a pretty fine pub ale. Next time I also want to check out what is on tap. :)

I agree the Boddington's is about the best they offer on board. I could have sworn Fun Ship 2.0 had better brew offerings but I can't find a list now. Maybe I have it confused with Celebrity cruise lines brew offerings. :confused:

I drink BV vodka and rum drinks when cruising and an occasional Boddington's with dinner.

I remember canned Guiness being available on the Elation and Glory last year. The Red Frog draft on Glory was drinkable, but I agree with others in this thread that it's similar to Killian's.

You're right - totally forgot about Guinness!! As a porter/stout fan, that was what I drank most of, too - lol!!

If the Urquell refers to Pilsner Urquell, that is excellent stuff, probably the best the ship has to offer.

It was the first pilsner beer ever made, made in Pilsen, Czech Republic. The Red Frog is mediocre, but, it is cheap.

There are a lot of different types of beer in the carribean, most you'll never see in the states. I encourage you to try them, even bring them back on board (I have never had mine confiscated".

Some of are good, a couple are pretty good, many are mediocre but hey, it is fun drinking something different.

Better brews include:

Belikan Salva Vida (life saver), beer from Honduras and Panama (I forget the names!) and Guiness Stout from Dominica. This is different from regular guiness in that the wort is sent to Dominica and they use their own water to finish it for the carribean market. Dominca has excellent water, the brewery gets their water from wells. The one really bad beer I remember is Caybrew,from Cayman Islands. Wadilli from Antiqua isn't bad, but you got to love the price (under a buck).

Speaking of Grand Cayman, the cheapest place on the island for beer is the liquor store inside the gate port area where the ship tenders. There are free rum samples and they always have a few strange beers for around a buck. There are a couple of benches outside where you can drink different beers while watching a band perform (last two times we were there, a band was playing ).

I was pleased on my last two Princess cruises to AK to see Alaskan brewing sold on board, for a good price no less- i think the price, with tip was around $4.25 for an AK Summer Ale, contrast that with what CCL wants for a bottle of bud!

Thank you all. I think I will survive.

Blue moon is ok.

Guinness in a can, not for me.

Heni - OK

or old faithful, Coors

Beer snob liking Blue Moon:confused: Coors:confused: Heini:confused:

The canned Guiness is the draught version, better than the bottle but is brewed in Canada as I recall, not Ireland. TRF draft may taste like Killian's but it's not. It's the AB or InBev/AB reissue of Bud's discontinued Red Ale. It's a bit hoppy for most non-craft brew drinkers. Brewed in Jacksonville, FL. Pilsner Urquell and Grolisch would be the better imports. Boddington's is the PBR of Brit beer:p. Cheap walk down memory lane. "Just fooling yourself into believing." New stuff isn't what you remember the old stuff to be which wasn't that good to begin with.

Beer snob liking Blue Moon:confused: Coors:confused: Heini:confused:

The canned Guiness is the draught version, better than the bottle but is brewed in Canada as I recall, not Ireland. TRF draft may taste like Killian's but it's not. It's the AB or InBev/AB reissue of Bud's discontinued Red Ale. It's a bit hoppy for most non-craft brew drinkers. Brewed in Jacksonville, FL. Pilsner Urquell and Grolisch would be the better imports. Boddington's is the PBR of Brit beer:p. Cheap walk down memory lane. "Just fooling yourself into believing." New stuff isn't what you remember the old stuff to be which wasn't that good to begin with.

Ya, the beers are a pretty terrible selection. I think I'd rather drink water than Blue Moon. I stick to Pilsner Urquell or scotch:)

Archived