Our Fabulous Vacation: My Liberty of the Seas Photo Review

That being said.....Rae and her husband are (tentatively) planning to sail the Allure with us this year. It would be a dream come true. Wesley and I have been wanting to vacation with them for years! :D:D:D

Last year when we booked the Voyager I just happened to mention it to one of my closest friends in NY, one I have known for approx. 30 years. She and her husband decided to join us and I cannot tell you what a wonderful cruise we had because they were with us. We laughed and carried on the whole time. Our upcoming Mariner cruise in Jan. will be the 3rd one together. I hope your tentative plans become reality. Nothing like being with good friends to share good times. And again, your review and pictures? Marvelous, fabulous, awesome. You think I like it? :D

How can anyone not love Las Olas? Last time I cruised out of Pt Everglades Priceline set me up at the Riverside Hotel at Las Olas and Federal Highway. Right next door was Cheesecake Factory. It was a little bit of heaven! 2 other reliable spots on Las Olas, for future reference is Mangos on Las Olas (their crab bisque is delish!) and The Floridian (a diner type restaurant perfect if you want breakfast anytime..actually the same is true for lunch and dinner as everything is available 24/7).

Thanks for reminding me if Mangos! i had a friend who used to live by las olas. What a great area to visit. Mangos had the best stuff~

I would LOVE to take you with me since it's just my 15 yr old son and myself. He is hooked on cruising just like me as he is very outgoing and by the end of the 1st day has tons of new friends already. I hardly see him....He plays AAU basketball year round and believe it or not he spends most of his time on the ships basketball court. So....I have no one to hang out with' date=' although I like to talk, so I am sure I will meet some people! But it sure would be fun to have you along Chrystal![/quote']

I too cruise with my son! It can get to feel more like a singles cruise (he is NOT much for conversation!)

THese ladies sound like the perfect companions!

Thanks for reminding me if Mangos! i had a friend who used to live by las olas. What a great area to visit. Mangos had the best stuff~
I had friends in the area too and that's how I found out about Mangos. My dad was wild about their crab bisque.

Hello! Thanks for sharing your lovely cruise with us. If you don't mine I have a couple questions with MR. SANTOS---in Cozumel.

You mentioned you did the AI. After reading the menu (drink) I noticed That umbrellas were included. But you, (Friend Rae) paid an additional $20 ($10 reimbursable). Please explain. Are umbrellas extra?:eek::confused:

Never have done an AI. But your review made me want to try it out. Did anyone have a tummy ache from the food or ice? That's what I worry about. For us, I think the value will be using the kayaks and snorkel. How do you rent? Is there a list or time limit? Beach looks gorgeous and shallow verses rocky and a big drop in Chakanaab (sp). I will be there on a popular spring break week 1-8 April.

Thanks again for sharing :p:)

Last year when we booked the Voyager I just happened to mention it to one of my closest friends in NY, one I have known for approx. 30 years. She and her husband decided to join us and I cannot tell you what a wonderful cruise we had because they were with us. We laughed and carried on the whole time. Our upcoming Mariner cruise in Jan. will be the 3rd one together. I hope your tentative plans become reality. Nothing like being with good friends to share good times. And again, your review and pictures? Marvelous, fabulous, awesome. You think I like it? :D

Oh wow, sounds like an amazing time! I really hope they can make it. Sounds like they're about 80% sure right now.

Hello! Thanks for sharing your lovely cruise with us. If you don't mine I have a couple questions with MR. SANTOS---in Cozumel.

You mentioned you did the AI. After reading the menu (drink) I noticed That umbrellas were included. But you, (Friend Rae) paid an additional $20 ($10 reimbursable). Please explain. Are umbrellas extra?:eek::confused:

Never have done an AI. But your review made me want to try it out. Did anyone have a tummy ache from the food or ice? That's what I worry about. For us, I think the value will be using the kayaks and snorkel. How do you rent? Is there a list or time limit? Beach looks gorgeous and shallow verses rocky and a big drop in Chakanaab (sp). I will be there on a popular spring break week 1-8 April.

Hi there! You know what? Looking at that menu photo.....I feel like we were jipped on the umbrella! :eek::( I'm emailing the manager now just to clarify, and I'll post his response. Thank you for picking up on that one.

We actually had no issues with food or ice. The facilities were very clean. To rent a kayak, we just had to give them an ID (I had my driver's license), and sign the kayak out. Got my ID back once I returned the kayak. Very easy, painless process. The water's edge was shallow, there was no sudden drop at all. A really nice beach.

hahaa!!! You just cracked me up! Thank you, I'm so happy you had a mini vacay with the review. Did you find the butterfly?!

I'll keep you posted in case we need a 4th! Rae's looking forward to sleeping in an actual bed next time :p

Hey, took me just another 10mins of looking and there it was.... as you said a beautiful red and black butterfly right in the middle of the pic.. cant believe I didnt see it!!:D;)

You mentioned going to Jamaica and that you wanted 'proper jerk'. If going to Ochi then you MUST go to Scotchies. Its not too far from the pier, but not walkable... its further on from Dunns River and a bit past Riu Ochi... take a taxi it'll take 5-10mins if that... this is where all the locals go (JA was my home up until recently and proabably will be again in a year or so). I always stop at this Scotchies whenever I pass it! Can't wait to get some in June when I visit again.:D The jerk pork is awesome!

If you're going to Falmouth port then its much longer to get to Ochi, about 40mins away.

If you're going to Montego Bay, they have a Scotchies there too, but IMHO its not as good. I would recommend going to Jerky's instead which is in Fairview Plaza, Bogue by the Texaco gas station, about 5mins from the port in Montego Bay.

If you need anymore info on JA, let me know.. would be happy to assist if I can!!

ODx

Edited by odettemcf

Hello! Never have done an AI. But your review made me want to try it out. Did anyone have a tummy ache from the food or ice? That's what I worry about.

Check the Coz boards for more info on Mr. Sanchos, Nachi Cocom and other beach clubs on the island -- all use purified water and I have never had an issue as long as you eat and drink at these large, touristy type places. The taco truck on the street that looks very appetizing after too many margaritas :o may offer different results. :eek:

After walking for about 10 minutes or so, we passed an intriguing shop. I wanted to go in but wasn't sure if Crystal and Rae wanted to, but when they noticed it they figured right away that I would want to circle back and head in. The shop is called the EVOO market, and if you love to cook or are a foodie, it's a wonderful place!

Long tables are lined with various bottles of olive oil from around the world for tasting. There were several varieties of infusions, like white and black truffle, porcini mushroom, rosemary...even bacon! As soon as we entered, the owner, Sultan Khan, greeted us and explained the different varieties of oil. He also pointed us to several flavors of aged balsamic vinegar, which was rich and sweet. We tried the 18-year old balsamic, as well as the strawberry balsamic. Both were delicious!

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1289.jpg

We enjoyed ourselves, tasting several types of oil. He mentioned that if you purchased $100 worth of products, he would ship everything to your home for free. Crystal instantly set to work putting her order together. Rae and I bought bottles of water ($1 each), and a loaf of freshly baked bread from the bakery next door (he sells them when the bakery is closed), for $1.25. Delicious bread too!

We chatted a bit and told him that we were from the Princeton area. He said, "You know, I used to live right next to Princeton." We asked him where, and he said.....Plainsboro! :eek: Such a small world! Rae and I tell people we live in the Princeton area since they hardly ever know where Plainsboro is (right next to Princeton)! It's amazing that he comes from our hometown. He retired from the corporate world and opened this shop in Ft. Lauderdale, and is loving his life there.

IMG_1278.jpg

It's funny, I kept taking photos of the shop and Sultan was wondering what I was doing. I know I must have looked crazy! I told him I was a blogger and would show some photos on my blog. If you are ever in the area, please do stop by and pick up a bottle of olive oil, or balsamic vinegar, even one of the fabulous cooking salts or beauty products. Sultan was very informative, giving health advice and recommendations based on our preferences.

If you Google EVOO Market Fort Lauderdale, you'll find his FB page. The web address is evoomkt dot com, and you can email him if you would like to order. Rae and are planning to put an order together in the next few days.

Thank you for this review, it was a great way to spend my morning!

We took Liberty back to Lauderdale from Barcelona this past fall. Loved the ship, but I disagree about the food. Carnival has better food and service too. The desserts on RCCL look better than they taste, you said that a few pages upthread and I agree.

Loved your review of Mr Sanchos; we are going to Coz in December and now I want to do the Tequila factory and Mr Sanchos, we've already seen the ruins.

Happy cruising!

Hey, took me just another 10mins of looking and there it was.... as you said a beautiful red and black butterfly right in the middle of the pic.. cant believe I didnt see it!!:D;)

You mentioned going to Jamaica and that you wanted 'proper jerk'. If going to Ochi then you MUST go to Scotchies. Its not too far from the pier, but not walkable... its further on from Dunns River and a bit past Riu Ochi... take a taxi it'll take 5-10mins if that... this is where all the locals go (JA was my home up until recently and proabably will be again in a year or so). I always stop at this Scotchies whenever I pass it! Can't wait to get some in June when I visit again.:D The jerk pork is awesome!

If you're going to Falmouth port then its much longer to get to Ochi, about 40mins away.

If you're going to Montego Bay, they have a Scotchies there too, but IMHO its not as good. I would recommend going to Jerky's instead which is in Fairview Plaza, Bogue by the Texaco gas station, about 5mins from the port in Montego Bay.

If you need anymore info on JA, let me know.. would be happy to assist if I can!!

ODx

Glad you found the butterfly! :D

Scotchies sounds so good! We're stopping in Falmouth, so I'm thinking we might need to hire a guide for a few hours. That will definitely be on our list! Do you personally know of any great tour guides? I'm hearing a bit about some guides on the Ports of Call boards, but it's always nice to get a personal recommendation. We actually stayed at the Riu in Ocho Rios a few years back, and went to Dunn's River Falls. Looking for something new to do. Wes is actually considering staying on the ship that day (thinking the jerk chicken might pull him off the ship:p), so do you have any suggestions for places to see near Scotchies?

Thank you for this review, it was a great way to spend my morning!

We took Liberty back to Lauderdale from Barcelona this past fall. Loved the ship, but I disagree about the food. Carnival has better food and service too. The desserts on RCCL look better than they taste, you said that a few pages upthread and I agree.

Loved your review of Mr Sanchos; we are going to Coz in December and now I want to do the Tequila factory and Mr Sanchos, we've already seen the ruins.

Happy cruising!

Hi cer10lee! I'm glad you enjoyed the review! Rae agrees with you about the food. I think Carnival's buffet food is better however I think the service on RCI is better. On the Allure I'm looking forward to all the new venues for food, as well as trying the Specialty Restaurant Package the ship offers. That's what I love about cruises, there's something to fit everyone's tastes! Happy cruising to you too, enjoy the tequila factory and Mr Sanchos! :)

After the market, we strolled back to the car. Crystal wanted to take some of her items in her suitcase to the post office to ship home. She had a whole bag of items that shipped for just $10, which was much less than the extra fee she would have had to pay if she was charged by the airline.

IMG_1314.jpg

For the next hour or so, we pretty much drove around the beach area and Las Olas. We were thinking of parking and taking some photos on the beach, but the Spring Break crowd was out and the beach was very crowded. Apparently the weather kept everyone in when we arrived before our cruise, but the sunshine coaxed the visitors outside on this day! The traffic was stop-and-go.

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

Interesting, where did you stay in Cozumel? We were all thinking of having a land vacation there next year. I am hooked on cruising though!

We stayed at El Cozumeleno, it is one of the most northern hotels on the island. It was about a 5 minute ride from the airport which was really nice. The property is beautiful and right on a gorgeous reef with excellent snorkeling. Just know that very few properties on Cozumel have a nice beach, including this one. The island is surrounded by limestone which makes for amazing reef/snorkeling but little beach. I really love to have a beach to walk on and would have booked a property with more of a substantial beach area. I was also really disappointed in the food. When you go from Cruising to an all inclusive the big drawback is the food. It just wasn't good. There is really no entertainment to speak of either and that was a big negative for me as well as I love all the entertainment options on a cruise. I think there are much better properties on the island and I wouldn't stay there again but I also don't think I will go back to an All Inclusive.....I would rather spend my money on a Cruise! :)

Around 6 PM, we returned our car to the Enterprise folks, and boarded the shuttle to head to our respective terminals. Since Crystal was on a different airline, she went to Terminal 4, while we went to Terminal 3. We got off first, and were sad to say "so long," to her after spending such an awesome time with her all week! :(

The airport terminals were smaller than I expected. There was a console available with a lot of outlets, so I was able to charge my phone and Kindle Fire before boarding.

Ok, so the food in FLL...is terrible! In our area, there was one smallish eatery that had a Dunkin Donuts, a Caribbean food place, and a sandwich shop. Rae was smart and got a sandwich. I got a jerk chicken platter....the chicken was shredded into a stew that was sweet and hot at the same time. The flavors didn't make much sense to me. You would have to taste it yourself to understand what I'm talking about (but please don't do it LOL). I love jerk chicken when it's done right, I don't know why I expected it to be like that. I only ate about 5 bites and couldn't finish it.

One cool thing; I think they were in a hurry to get us to board, so the back half of the plane boarded by walking outside, and the first half boarded the normal way. We were just behind the wings, so we got to go outside. If anyone had mobility issues, they were able to board normally. Some people complained, but I thought, "How many times do you have an opportunity to board from outside?!" We loved it. I was in a hurry so I couldn't get clear shots.

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

Besides that, our flight was uneventful and smooth. Rae and I watched Bethenny Ever After on Bravo on the plane, and the man next to me was watching the Colbert Report. Gotta love JetBlue :D. Our baggage at EWR came quickly, and Wesley was at the door when we got to the curb.

Sadly, that's it for our vacation. Thank you again for reading, and feel free to post your questions and comments. You all have been amazing, happy cruising!

Glad you found the butterfly! :D

Scotchies sounds so good! We're stopping in Falmouth, so I'm thinking we might need to hire a guide for a few hours. That will definitely be on our list! Do you personally know of any great tour guides? I'm hearing a bit about some guides on the Ports of Call boards, but it's always nice to get a personal recommendation. We actually stayed at the Riu in Ocho Rios a few years back, and went to Dunn's River Falls. Looking for something new to do. Wes is actually considering staying on the ship that day (thinking the jerk chicken might pull him off the ship:p), so do you have any suggestions for places to see near Scotchies?

Chrystal - We used Peat Taylor when we went to Falmouth. We toured a bit, went to Drs. Cave Beach and then to Scotchies for lunch. We actually had his son as our tourguide and he was great. http://www.ochoriosjamaicatours.com/

They have preset tours or will customize for you or your group. Their instructions for finding them in Falmouth (big port facility) was perfect and they provided a really great experience. We invited him to have lunch with us and it was the best part of the tour, sitting eating wonderful food and sharing stories.

Thanks again for your great review, I've enjoyed so much!

Edited by njoyndride

We stayed at El Cozumeleno' date=' it is one of the most northern hotels on the island. It was about a 5 minute ride from the airport which was really nice. The property is beautiful and right on a gorgeous reef with excellent snorkeling. Just know that very few properties on Cozumel have a nice beach, including this one. The island is surrounded by limestone which makes for amazing reef/snorkeling but little beach. I really love to have a beach to walk on and would have booked a property with more of a substantial beach area. I was also really disappointed in the food. When you go from Cruising to an all inclusive the big drawback is the food. It just wasn't good. There is really no entertainment to speak of either and that was a big negative for me as well as I love all the entertainment options on a cruise. I think there are much better properties on the island and I wouldn't stay there again but I also don't think I will go back to an All Inclusive.....I would rather spend my money on a Cruise! :)[/quote']

That's good to know. Wes and I stayed at an AI, but haven't been back to one since we sailed the Adventure of the Seas. We really enjoyed the Riu in Ocho Rios. We were just discussing whether we should start looking into land vacations, but we're hooked on cruising! I think we're going to reserve the land vacays for Europe, unless we go somewhere with a group like we're considering in Cozumel (3-5 couples, with children). I would love to spend a few weeks in Italy sometime soon.

Chrystal - We used Peat Taylor when we went to Falmouth. We toured a bit, went to Drs. Cave Beach and then to Scotchies for lunch. We actually had his son as our tourguide and he was great. http://www.ochoriosjamaicatours.com/

They have preset tours or will customize for you or your group. Their instructions for finding them in Falmouth (big port facility) was perfect and they provided a really great experience. We invited him to have lunch with us and it was the best part of the tour, sitting eating wonderful food and sharing stories.

Thanks again for your great review, I've enjoyed so much!

Hi Sharon! Peat Taylor looks great, I'll keep this in my files. Thank you! :)

I'm so sad it's over. :( I've truly enjoyed this revew from start to finish. Thank you, thank you, Chrystal for taking the time to do it! Oh and BTW, I love Jetblue as well. Only way I fly to Florida.

Please cruise again soon. Eagerly awaiting another fabulous review by Host Faith! :D