Royal Princess Deck Plans--here they are!

whatcruiseisnext

One odd thing I've noticed when looking at the deck plans is that the Sun Deck seems to be out of scale in comparison to the other decks on this PDF for some reason. That means that the Retreat Pool will actually be a bit larger than it looks on here. This also explains why some things don't seem to line up between the two decks.

The stats at the top of the page also give a length of 1,082 feet, which happens to make the ship a whole 131 feet longer than the current Grand Class ships (at 952 feet) and makes it 2 feet longer than the Norwegian Epic and 1 foot longer than the Norwegian Breakaway class (although those two ships are both higher in gross tonnage). In fact, it appears the Royal Princess will be longer than anything currently known except for the Queen Mary 2 and the Royal Caribbean Freedom and Oasis class ships. I haven't been able to determine the beam yet, but the current Crown class ships are 118 feet wide, and I would presume this one to be comparable, maybe slightly wider given the bumpouts on the Promenade deck.

One odd thing I've noticed when looking at the deck plans is that the Sun Deck seems to be out of scale in comparison to the other decks on this PDF for some reason. That means that the Retreat Pool will actually be a bit larger than it looks on here. This also explains why some things don't seem to line up between the two decks.

The stats at the top of the page also give a length of 1,082 feet, which happens to make the ship a whole 131 feet longer than the current Grand Class ships (at 952 feet) and makes it 2 feet longer than the Norwegian Epic and 1 foot longer than the Norwegian Breakaway class (although those two ships are both higher in gross tonnage). In fact, it appears the Royal Princess will be longer than anything currently known except for the Queen Mary 2 and the Royal Caribbean Freedom and Oasis class ships. I haven't been able to determine the beam yet, but the current Crown class ships are 118 feet wide, and I would presume this one to be comparable, maybe slightly wider given the bumpouts on the Promenade deck.

If you google Pictures of Royal Princess Builder's Model there are some pretty cool shots of the pool deck.

Can't find a whole lot of photos yet (I'm sure more will show up later on,) but there's definitely been some changes to the main pool area over the initial renderings. This also gives a little better look at what the aft areas on the Lido and Sun Decks will look like, which is hard to see from the deck plans.

Probably can't link from here though, looks like the CC boards restrict the sites they're on.

This ship loses something I really love on other Princess ships (Crown, Emerald, etc.) - a fully covered aft balcony. I'm sure they designed the aft suites/cabins so that they all get some sun which may easily be a preference for the majority of passengers. For me, sitting on the balcony, out of the sun, watching the wake is one of the best parts of a cruise.

The top two decks with aft suites appear to have fully exposed balconies (if the deck plans are accurate). Below that, there might be some coverage of the balconies. Seems as if you lose a lot of privacy in this arrangement - anyone above should be able to see everyone below.

Also, all of the aft cabins/suites will probably come at a premium price becuase they are either owner's suites (on the corners with wraparound balconies) or the new somewhat larger balcony category. I guess I'll find out later this morning.

One more observation - the owners suites don't appear to be larger inside than the other suites but they do appear to have large wrap-around balconies.

DISNEY DREAM and DISNEY FANTASY are 1115 feet in length. Still don't have the statistics yet for Royal Caribbean's new Project Sunshine, but it would not surprise me if they end up being longer than RP.

Ernie

After looking at the deck plans, I was stunned by how few inside cabins there will be. I know it might not seem like it on Cruise Critic, but a lot of people love their insides. I wonder if their decreased numbers will make them hard to come by.

I'm hoping the scale is slightly off. As noted, that pool looks tiny. So does the Princess Theater. I was hoping they would expand it to accommodate the larger size of the ship. But, designing showrooms that accommodate the majority of passengers doesn't seem to be Princess' strong suit. :rolleyes:

Happy to see the return of the Vista lounge. Also a fan of the expanded Piazza, should be nice.

So there really will be no other [free] pool to go to, to avoid MUTS on this ship.

I don't know; I'm not wowed. I'm not convinced she won't be grossly overcrowded. I realize she's bigger so the scale is hard to judge, but there simply doesn't seem to be that much more public space. For example, if anything, the Wheelhouse looks smaller than on the other ships. All the nice open decks aft are gone, plus a scant Promenade Deck. This ship seems like a step along the road that RCI has trodden: turning guests away from the outdoors and directing them inside. We'll see . . .

I agree on the overcrowded, I think that of all the Princess ships built after the "Grand", thanks for posting this info

There is the adult pool outside the Sanctuary. It's not a pay pool.

At least it's not a pay pool on the current ships. Who knows if it will be on the Royal?!:confused:

If it's not a pay pool on the Royal, it will be absolutely packed with everyone that wants to escape MUTS and kids!

I like pools on ship, but I'm not a sun worshiper so I don't spend a ton of time at the pool, and even I think the pool situation looks like one of the biggest drawbacks to the Royal!

I was really looking forward to sailing on the Royal and maybe I"ll change my mind when I hear from others. However, to me, it looks like a very cabin heavy ship. I don't see anything really new or wow as far as public rooms. Just wondering how crowded the ship might be at full capacity.

Hope I'm wrong... :(

I am having difficulty finding them on the deck plans. Any one know if there are any similar to the Ruby's 'coveted' covered balcony on Emerald Deck?

I'd love to book one for the TA in Oct. 2013.

Thanks!

I was really looking forward to sailing on the Royal and maybe I"ll change my mind when I hear from others. However, to me, it looks like a very cabin heavy ship. I don't see anything really new or wow as far as public rooms. Just wondering how crowded the ship might be at full capacity.

Hope I'm wrong... :(

I'm looking forward to seeing all the reviews for the summer sailings. It will give me a good idea if this ship is really something I want to sail on in the Winter, or if I should stick to "small" ships like the Ruby :D

Having had a chance to look at them for a while, I think some of the concerns about the pool size may be unfounded. In comparison to some of the others, that pool looks pretty darn big if visualized at scale.

So I don't think the pool/size to passenger ratio overall has changed much. But the layout of the space has and I am not sure how the new layout will work with issues such as MUTS, Kids, chair hogs, etc (I think it may help with the hoggage as there may be more pool frontage) but I think the adult pool may be a bit small if it becomes the designated fleeing area from MUTS. (That said, note that MUTS is 2 decks above the pool deck, wonder if its a separate area?)

Looking at other things, I can't figure out if the Horizon Design will work, the Pastry shop looks small for what they described it as (and if not, then I am not scaling up enough), and I am disappointed they did not do a Sanctuary only small pool (one of the best features of the Island/Coral)

One other pool thing, unless they are way bigger than they look.. 6 hot tubs, total? They have like 6 on the Island!!

The Horizon Court/Bistro intrigues me in terms of the split space. Is it just going to be one or the other at times, or will the court be in use all the time and the Bistro open in the evenings....

What the heck is that blank space on the Sky deck for?

I'm looking forward to seeing all the reviews for the summer sailings. It will give me a good idea if this ship is really something I want to sail on in the Winter, or if I should stick to "small" ships like the Ruby :D

At least it's not a pay pool on the current ships. Who knows if it will be on the Royal?!:confused:

Princess confirmed it wasn't a pay pool when the first video came out. The Cabanas will be for rent, but the pool is open to all adults.

Princess confirmed it wasn't a pay pool when the first video came out. The Cabanas will be for rent, but the pool is open to all adults.

Then it will definitely be packed!!:rolleyes:

I'll probably go on the Royal eventually, but I'm sure not in a hurry due to the pool situation. I can't wait until people start getting back and we get to see what they've got to say!!!

Well, that's good. But yeah, it'll probably be very, very busy as it'll get the combined crowd the separated Lotus and Terrace pools get on the other ships.

Also, I realized -- no Explorer's, either. So, no Adagio, no Skywalker's, no Explorer's. Where will the dancing happen? Where will be the late-night scene? Crooner's isn't bigger; the Wheelhouse isn't bigger. The new bar in the atrium (Bellini's) is tiny. I guess they expect people to stay in their cabins, on their balconies, drinking their smuggled booze.

Well, that's good. But yeah, it'll probably be very, very busy as it'll get the combined crowd the separated Lotus and Terrace pools get on the other ships.

Also, I realized -- no Explorer's, either. So, no Adagio, no Skywalker's, no Explorer's. Where will the dancing happen? Where will be the late-night scene? Crooner's isn't bigger; the Wheelhouse isn't bigger. The new bar in the atrium (Bellini's) is tiny. I guess they expect people to stay in their cabins, on their balconies, drinking their smuggled booze.

There is a dance floor in Vista lounge and Club 6 has a dance floor but we dont know what that is yet.

Archived