The Pride Hong Kong 14th March

himandi

We boarded yesterday in Hong Kong. The service and the food are superb but our first Seabourn cruise was Sojourn last year and it was a brand new ship this one has been in service since 1988 so it is hard to make comparisons. To me it is tired but I don't think that the money that is needed to bring it back up to 6* standard will be spent .

Would we take Another cruise on her again - I will reserve judgement on this until the end of the cruise.

We were sitting at the bar today in the club and there were drips coming through the ceiling. The launderette has only one dryer working and water was coming from one of the machines all over the floor. Little Things BUT there nevertheless

We boarded yesterday in Hong Kong. The service and the food are superb but our first Seabourn cruise was Sojourn last year and it was a brand new ship this one has been in service since 1988 so it is hard to make comparisons. To me it is tired but I don't think that the money that is needed to bring it back up to 6* standard will be spent .

Would we take Another cruise on her again - I will reserve judgement on this until the end of the cruise.

We were sitting at the bar today in the club and there were drips coming through the ceiling. The launderette has only one dryer working and water was coming from one of the machines all over the floor. Little Things BUT there nevertheless

:eek:

I hope those issues are resolved quickly and you have a great rest of your cruse. As I will be on the Pride later this year, I'm very curious as to its state and the level of service.

We had a good day yesterday met up with a couple from CC and he organized a steak tartar lunch specifically prepared for us in the main dining room, this is where Seabourn excells the attention and service were second to none and a couple of nice glasses of Pinot Noir and we were very happy.

Arrived in Halong Bay this morning unfortunately the mist was awful so those that had booked junk trips had them put off until the afternoon. We just went ashore and walked to the local market and spent a few dollars then sat in a local cafe and had a nice seafood lunch and a couple of local beers.

Retired to the jacuzzi on deck 5 and have come back to the suite to have a shower - no hot water, there are ladders in the corridor so we have no alternative but to go and get some well earned afternoon tea and forget that my hair is standing on end.

Will report later if it gets repaired

Please, please tell me that things are being corrected immediately and the whole cruise will not be one disaster after the other.

I cannot stand the idea of not knowing if you will have hot water for a shower or a leaky ceiling or be able to use the laundry!

Those things indicate something more than just a "tired" ship. I can put up with a few stains, dents,or scratches but the bathroom has to work properly and consistently or I know I will be miserable for 15 days.

Which suite are you in and is it happening large scale around the ship?

Keep us future travelers posted, please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was just considering booking on the Pride, should I hold and look at one of the other ships?

Does anyone know how the other little sisters are fairing? We just loved the Spirit, but that was 2 years ago now.

Just to keep up to date - the plumbing was a maintenance issue that needed fixed and to be fair we were in Port but as the weather was so poor a lot of people returned to the ship early - our whole deck 5 was affected but they fixed it in a couple of hours. I haveent been down to the Laundry again but will need to go tomorrow and will see if they have fixed the dryer.

Today was a superb day - lovely sunny weather and we have met several interesting people - we all agree that the Pride is showing her age and is a little tired - BUT the alternative to this is what? Seabourn is not going to spend the money to bring these little sisters up to the standard that one should expect for the fares we are paying - but I for one would hate to go on a 550 plus passenger giant - so I think that as MilleMeter says you forgive the stained marble, the rust patches BUT the bathrooms must work properly and I know that they are working flat out to resolve any problems - this is a full ship and we are not complaining as they are fixing everything as quickly as they can.

I love the intimacy of the small ship as you constantly bump into the same people over and over again - will post again if I have any further revelations

I was just considering booking on the Pride, should I hold and look at one of the other ships?

Does anyone know how the other little sisters are fairing? We just loved the Spirit, but that was 2 years ago now.

We were on the Spirit last September/October and had NO problems whatsoever with anything. It was our third Seabourn cruise, the previous 2 on the Legend and we had no complaints apart from the decline in the quality of the wine! There were never issues with hot water, leaks, maintenance having to be done etc etc. It looks like these problems are purely on the Pride - unless, of course, anyone knows better!

First let me say how sorry I am about the fog in Halong Bay. It ranks as one of the most beautiful places I have ver seen -- very mystical with the limestone outcroppings jutting up from the sea. I do hope that you had been there before.

I am very much interested in your updates on the Pride. We were last on her in August and have booked her again for this May from Lisbon to Dover. As of last August I would agree that she was a little rough around the edges but we really thought she looked fine for a Seabourn dowager. I have my fingers crossed that she has not deteriorated since. I will say this though -- we were on the Quest over Christmas and New Years and if I had to choose one ship over the other there is not contest that I would choose the small ship. Eventhough the Quest was brand new and had some features that I will miss upon returning to the little sisters( the Coffee Bar) I thought the finisihing on the Quest looked cheap and flimsy. Not to mention that the noise on the lower levels was unbelievable( fortunately we had a V6 suite).At least the Pride looks like quality( although a bit in need of some refreshing).

Not to mention that the noise on the lower levels was unbelievable( fortunately we had a V6 suite).At least the Pride looks like quality( although a bit in need of some refreshing).

We're looking at the Quest possibly for the Caribbean Christmas/New Year 2012. We're talking with our TA about suites. We're looking at Deck 7, can you make any comments on it, or more about the issues on the lower levels. Do you mean noise between suites?

Not to mention that the noise on the lower levels was unbelievable( fortunately we had a V6 suite).).

What noise did you experience? We were on Deck 5 on Odyssey and did not notice any. We are sailing on Deck 5 again on Quest from Dubai in about ten days. Please tell...

We're looking at the Quest possibly for the Caribbean Christmas/New Year 2012. We're talking with our TA about suites. We're looking at Deck 7, can you make any comments on it, or more about the issues on the lower levels. Do you mean noise between suites?

I am on this trip.I always book a V5 midship suite on deck six.

Be careful if you are looking at deck seven as you will get noise from the pool deck and Patio Grill unless you are more forward.

Always have a suite above and below you on any ship. You do not want noise from a pool deck above or a bar/lounge below.

Just my experience after sixty two cruises.

Hi to all

The Maitre D is Gary Roberts and the cruise Director is Jan Stearman

The weather has improved beautifully and we went shopping with the chef yeterday in Saigon which was super

There are little niggles but these definitely go with a ship of her age and they are fixing them - heard from one of out fellow pasengers that they have had to have the toilet fixed 3 times - a problem in their area of suites they told me.

I only had luke warm water but the guy came in straight after I reported it and it is now piping hot.

Barry and Irene are good friends of ours so I will say hello to them from you but I dont know Bob and Linda but I will look out for them.

We are in Sianoukville tomorrow and then the beach party at Koo Kood the following day.

All things considered the little niggles would not put me off coming back again as the service and the intimacy of the number of fellow passengers far outweighs any problems.

Nigella and Stamfordian ,

We visited friends on deck 4 on the Quest for cocktails one evening when we were at sea. The noise in their suite was rather loud and sort of a contant whoosh/thud. They noted some trouble sleeping a a result -- i think they finally resorted to ear plugs. They were first told it was the waves ( not likely because the noise came from the center of the ship not outside) and then that it was the stabilizers. We are usually in an A1 on the small ships and I have never heard this type of noise.I was grateful that in this instance we were on deck 8 -- but I imagine deck 5 and above would be quieter. There was also loud creaking and groaning in the the forward stairwells every evening -- one would think the ship was about to come apart.For a new ship much larger than the little sisters I found this all rather curious. I will say that at the pool bar we never felt the vibrations people mentioned with respect to the Odyssey so perhaps that problem was fixed on the later ships.

Interesting to observe that most seasoned cruise ship passengers do not realize the fact that in 99,999% of the cases, a blockage (of a section) is only because a passenger ignored the signs and flushed down something he/she should not have flushed down.

Number one is chunks of cleenex.

A close number two is actually face towels.

So when the toilet does not work, it is most likely because of one of your neighbours.

Ofcourse,trying to stuff the towelling elephant down the toilet that the stewardess makes you will cause a blockage.

The only thing the boys with the ladders (maintenance) have not found in the pipes yet, are high heel shoes and people.

:D

Archived