Sun Princess May 16 - any idea why these are ALL still available???

santamaria

This isn't the time to go on a one way if you want Denali Park. You can't get very far in. You need a trip ideally after June 1 interior Alaska.

Historically- these mid-May one way sailings have been significant late booking bargains. This may be returned group booking space?

I personally think it is because those that 'usually' book an Alaska cruise this early in the season are looking for budget travel. The season starts when the weather is still quite cold up north and the chances of using a balcony would be much slimmer then say in July or August.

On Caribbean Sailings where the weather is usually much better, these cabins book out first.

Hey -

We almost booked on that cruise, but decided to do the May 14 Island Princess instead as there were better choices of port side staterooms in our category. The Sun was cheaper at the time though (now Island is cheaper...)

I agree that this is a budget time of year, although some folks also travel in May to avoid the crowds, both onboard and off.

I personally think it is because those that 'usually' book an Alaska cruise this early in the season are looking for budget travel. The season starts when the weather is still quite cold up north and the chances of using a balcony would be much slimmer then say in July or August.

On Caribbean Sailings where the weather is usually much better, these cabins book out first.

I thoroughly disagree with thinking the weather in May is worse than July/August. In fact, July/August are known to be rainy months. We cruised Alaska in May last year and the year before. Shorts in every port (save Whittier). Leaving in 3 weeks again......I think no matter when you cruise in Alaska, you have to me lucky with the weather as it is unpredictable ALL the time. Yes, the salmon aren't running in Ketchikan yet, but we have seen our share of wildlife (bears too!). Positive side: the mountains are full of snow still and gorgeous! When we compare our pics of May (twice) July (once), August (once)....our May pics are the absolute best. Yes, it's less costly too...so much the better!!

I think May is one of those secrets of Alaska that very few people know about. I have cruised 3x in May and one time in July and all 3 May cruises were wonderful and our July cruise had rainy/cold/windy weather.

I think most people think they have to sail in July or August to get good weather in Alaska. Let them think that - I will continue to sail in May at bargain prices.

Archived