AMEX OBC Promo, Combinable? I think NOT!

munchkin002

Hello All!

I booked a family suite on the Star for a Nov. sailing. I used my Amex to book and was able to secure the $500 OBC they were offering. Great, I know!

In the terms and conditions of the Amex Promo it states that this offer is combineable with other offers but at NCL's discrestion. I would like to know if anyone knows of another offer that this promo is actually compatible with??

Since I have booked, I have come across about 5 other promos for additional OBC that also state combineable, but none of them seem to go with AMEX! I keep calling my PCC but nothing seems to work:(

Is anyone aware of any??

Hello All!

I booked a family suite on the Star for a Nov. sailing. I used my Amex to book and was able to secure the $500 OBC they were offering. Great, I know!

In the terms and conditions of the Amex Promo it states that this offer is combineable with other offers but at NCL's discrestion. I would like to know if anyone knows of another offer that this promo is actually compatible with??

Since I have booked, I have come across about 5 other promos for additional OBC that also state combineable, but none of them seem to go with AMEX! I keep calling my PCC but nothing seems to work:(

Is anyone aware of any??

Sounds like a great question to ask the PCC. I would think they would have immediate access to that sort of information.

Is anyone aware of any??

I'm in the same boat as you ;)

Every time I've seen a sale I've checked with my PCC (Dominic), and no go.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with better results than we've come up with :)

I've heard 3 different things from 3 different PCCs/TAs.

First, a TA told me I could get up to $625 in total OBC ($500 from Amex and $125 from another promotion). This followed the written terms on the TA's web site so I was not surprised. Then I tried to extract the same deal elsewhere....

The second TA I spoke with told me they couldn't offer anything else on top of the AmEx $500.

Then I called NCL. They said they were offering the AmEx promotion but it would only be worth $450. EDIT: And to clarify, they said it was *not* combineable with any other promotion. I inquired about the same suite with each TA/PCC.

Who knows. Take what you can get!

Usually promotions involving on board credit can't be combined with other promotions involving on board credit, so that prevents the AMEX promotion from being combined with any of those.

The AMEX OBC promotion applies to suites only so it can't be combined with an upgrade promotions because upgrade promotions don't apply to suites.

The one promotion I can think of that you should be able to combine with an AMEX OBC is a reduced deposit.

Hopefully this is ok...I have a related question but it doesn't solve the OP so I don't know if this is poor etiquette or starting another thread would be. Anyhow...

Is there documentation that tells you the amount of OBC you get from AmEx based on what category of suite you book? I.e. Garden Villa would obviously get the max....how much would a penthouse get? Etc.

Also, would a Future Cruise Credit (I think that's what it is called) be something that could be combined with AmEx?

Hopefully this is ok...I have a related question but it doesn't solve the OP so I don't know if this is poor etiquette or starting another thread would be. Anyhow...

Is there documentation that tells you the amount of OBC you get from AmEx based on what category of suite you book? I.e. Garden Villa would obviously get the max....how much would a penthouse get? Etc.

Also, would a Future Cruise Credit (I think that's what it is called) be something that could be combined with AmEx?

It's $500 for any suite. (The Breakaway is excluded.)

You can use a previously purchased Freestyle Cruise Reward (for some reason there has been an rash of posts recently erroneously calling it a Future Cruise Credit) for your deposit.

Usually promotions involving on board credit can't be combined with other promotions involving on board credit, so that prevents the AMEX promotion from being combined with any of those.

The AMEX OBC promotion applies to suites only so it can't be combined with an upgrade promotions because upgrade promotions don't apply to suites.

The one promotion I can think of that you should be able to combine with an AMEX OBC is a reduced deposit.

For what it is worth we just booked a suite direct with NCL and the available offer was 500 AMEX OR 450 NCL with reduced deposit. We opted for the NCL since I thought it might offer greater flexibility if we make changes in the future.

AMEX is compatible with either Latitude OBC. (Monthly or move up) We have $650 OBC plus $250 on one and $300 on the other from our TA for our next two 7 night cruises. (Totals $900 OBC for one cruise & $950 OBC for the other)

I am not sure what the Lattitude OBC is and certainly would appreciate some clarification. We booked an 11 night Europe Cruise SG suite for next year (OCT 2013) and were told by NCL agent (booked direct) that we would be eligible for 450 credit from NCL OR Amex 500 suite credit. The 450 also offered reduced deposit so I opted for this also thinking if I made future changes it may be easier dealing with the NCL credit. I am assuming that part of the NCL 450 is a lattitude OBC ?(we are lattitude members but have only been on two cruises). On my account online 450 shows up as "money" to spend for the cruise but it is not broken down. Can anyone share some light on this as to precisely what a Lattitudes OBC credit is.

If I am reading things correctly it sounds as if this may be combinable with AMEX but the agent specifically said nothing could be combined and seemed to 'check it out' during our discussion.

Many thanks.

ps. Geez I just went throught the gauntlet of OBC confusion with X and I was hoping that NCL would have an easier to understand program other than 'if it's Friday and my name is Peggy you can get combined credits'

I am not sure what the Lattitude OBC is and certainly would appreciate some clarification. We booked an 11 night Europe Cruise SG suite for next year (OCT 2013) and were told by NCL agent (booked direct) that we would be eligible for 450 credit from NCL OR Amex 500 suite credit. The 450 also offered reduced deposit so I opted for this also thinking if I made future changes it may be easier dealing with the NCL credit. I am assuming that part of the NCL 450 is a lattitude OBC ?(we are lattitude members but have only been on two cruises). On my account online 450 shows up as "money" to spend for the cruise but it is not broken down. Can anyone share some light on this as to precisely what a Lattitudes OBC credit is.

If I am reading things correctly it sounds as if this may be combinable with AMEX but the agent specifically said nothing could be combined and seemed to 'check it out' during our discussion.

Many thanks.

ps. Geez I just went throught the gauntlet of OBC confusion with X and I was hoping that NCL would have an easier to understand program other than 'if it's Friday and my name is Peggy you can get combined credits'

From what I'm reading, you received the current promo of $300 OBC for booking a suite, and $150 OBC for booking this month's Latitude special. That's how you ended up with $450 in OBC. IF you did book a suite on a transatlantic sailing during the month of March, then this fits.

That being said, if you did book this month's Latitude special, you should have been able to take advantage of the AMEX OBC offer, and the Latitude special, for a total of $650 OBC (because the AMEX offer trumps the current "Book a suite" offer) and they are not combinable. The AMEX OBC offer IS combinable with the Latitudes monthly specials ~ I know this because that is how I got $650 OBC for my next cruise. ;)

If this is the case, I would seriously consider calling NCL and switching to the AMEX promo (bear in mind that this will require a cancellation/rebooking if you used something other than AMEX for the portion of your deposit which was not covered by the Freestyle Cruise Reward.

Hope that helps! ;)

That being said, if you did book this month's Latitude special, you should have been able to take advantage of the AMEX OBC offer, and the Latitude special, for a total of $650 OBC (because the AMEX offer trumps the current "Book a suite" offer) and they are not combinable. The AMEX OBC offer IS combinable with the Latitudes monthly specials ~ I know this because that is how I got $650 OBC for my next cruise. ;)

If this is the case, I would seriously consider calling NCL and switching to the AMEX promo (bear in mind that this will require a cancellation/rebooking if you used something other than AMEX for the portion of your deposit which was not covered by the Freestyle Cruise Reward.

The need for cancel/rebook probably depends about the TAs or PCCs willingness to make things either the right way or the easy way. :D

We got the situation handled with the original booking, the refunded original payment with another card still showing in the newset confirmation with the Amex OBC.

From what I'm reading, you received the current promo of $300 OBC for booking a suite, and $150 OBC for booking this month's Latitude special. That's how you ended up with $450 in OBC. IF you did book a suite on a transatlantic sailing during the month of March, then this fits.

Hope that helps! ;)

Thank you. That is what I am thinking but my NCL CC went through a bunch of motions saying that the AMEX credit could not be combined with any other credits! I did use my AMEX for deposit. That said I am extremely frustrated that I am not able to know for sure and even after due dilligence on my part and specific questions I might have left 200 'on the table'.

The AMEX OBC offer IS combinable with the Latitudes monthly specials ~ I know this because that is how I got $650 OBC for my next cruise. ;)

When I booked in January (for Epic Jan 5, 2013 with the AMEX promo) my PCC didn't mention any Latitude offers, and at the time I didn't know enough to check my account online to see the monthly offers.

So does anyone remember what the Latitude offers were back in Jan or Feb 2012? Not counting that they would be retroactive, but just in case - or would my PCC have added that automatically if there was an applicable offer at the time of booking? :confused:

Now that I'm more aware I will keep checking my Latitude section from now on ;)

When I booked in January (for Epic Jan 5, 2013 with the AMEX promo) my PCC didn't mention any Latitude offers, and at the time I didn't know enough to check my account online to see the monthly offers.

So does anyone remember what the Latitude offers were back in Jan or Feb 2012? Not counting that they would be retroactive, but just in case - or would my PCC have added that automatically if there was an applicable offer at the time of booking? :confused:

Here is a screenprint of the two emails for Jan & Feb Offers. I hope this helps.

Fullscreen%2520capture%25203172012%252094748%2520PM.jpg

1405436206_JANLatitudesRewards.jpg.660ac953bb6a622fa81a45b73ea0bc3e.jpg

442193008_FEBLatitudeRewardOffers.jpg.76a0c0500b9b815c5a0b85f0c5291557.jpg

Thank you. That is what I am thinking but my NCL CC went through a bunch of motions saying that the AMEX credit could not be combined with any other credits! I did use my AMEX for deposit. That said I am extremely frustrated that I am not able to know for sure and even after due dilligence on my part and specific questions I might have left 200 'on the table'.

Honestly, I would call NCL again on Monday (never call them on the weekends ~ they are waaaaaay too busy) and speak to whomever answers at the main number. Explain the situation to them, and ask them to adjust the promo codes on your reservation. If they say they cannot, then ask to speak to their Supervisor and if necessary, insist upon it. Ultimately, there is absolutely no reason why you should not be able to get this adjustment made.

When they finish making the adjustment, ask them to email you a new Reservation Confirmation, and when it arrives (this can take a while, because their system sends emails out in large batches) open it immediately and check to make sure the correct promo codes appear in the gray box at the top right of the page. The code for the AMEX OBC is PGAXOC, and the code for the monthly Latitude specials is LATITUDE.

Hope that helps! ;)

Meanwhile, don't stress over it, because it is fixable! :D Enjoy the rest of the weekend dreaming about all the fabulous fun you're going to have on your cruise!

If your PCC had plugged in your Latitudes number as they were starting your booking, the offer should have been automatically visible to them.

I see by the screenshot that Peg provided, that Eastern Caribbean was one of the destinations offered in January, but bear in mind it clearly says "on select sailings" so it is entirely possible that your particular sailing was not one of them.

Happily, you'll be checking out the monthly offers and be able to take advantage of them in the future. :D

Here is a screenprint of the two emails for Jan & Feb Offers. I hope this helps.

Fullscreen%2520capture%25203172012%252094748%2520PM.jpg

Fullscreen%2520capture%25203172012%252094355%2520PM.jpg

If your PCC had plugged in your Latitudes number as they were starting your booking, the offer should have been automatically visible to them.

I see by the screenshot that Peg provided, that Eastern Caribbean was one of the destinations offered in January, but bear in mind it clearly says "on select sailings" so it is entirely possible that your particular sailing was not one of them.

Happily, you'll be checking out the monthly offers and be able to take advantage of them in the future. :D

Thank you both so much! I'll check this with my PCC and will post what happens. He probably can't do anything about it now - but you never know without trying LOL :D

Thank you both so much! I'll check this with my PCC and will post what happens. He probably can't do anything about it now - but you never know without trying LOL :D

You are most welcome, and you're absolutely right ~ you never know without trying! Nothing ventured, nothing gained! ;)

Let us know what happens!

Honestly, I would call NCL again on Monday (never call them on the weekends ~ they are waaaaaay too busy) and speak to whomever answers at the main number. Explain the situation to them, and ask them to adjust the promo codes on your reservation. If they say they cannot, then ask to speak to their Supervisor and if necessary, insist upon it. Ultimately, there is absolutely no reason why you should not be able to get this adjustment made.

When they finish making the adjustment, ask them to email you a new Reservation Confirmation, and when it arrives (this can take a while, because their system sends emails out in large batches) open it immediately and check to make sure the correct promo codes appear in the gray box at the top right of the page. The code for the AMEX OBC is PGAXOC, and the code for the monthly Latitude specials is LATITUDE.

Hope that helps! ;)

Meanwhile, don't stress over it, because it is fixable! :D Enjoy the rest of the weekend dreaming about all the fabulous fun you're going to have on your cruise!

Barbara, Thanks for the info. No stress here it is just so frustrating to not get accurate definitive answers when it regards OBC's. Anyway I sent an

e-mail to my Cruise Consultant yesterday and would hope to hear something tomorrow. I was 'enthusiastic' that NCL had assigned consultants for Europe cruises and figured they were very knowledgeable.

I am now wondering if their expertise is any better than the 'typical' phone agents.

You're welcome. I hope it all works out and you can get it if your week was included in the promo. I have the original emails if you want them, but the included cruises probably won't have the "Purple L" for Latitude Insider like they do during the month they are current anyway.

Good Luck!

As a follow up I checked with my NCL CC. She said that because the cruise is next year that the Lattitudes credit could not be combined with AMEX. She sounded pretty sure of this and promised to advise of any better OBC's that became available. At this point as indicated I have 450 from NCL with reduced deposit for this cruise next October.

Another followup here - I just received an email from my PCC answering that there was no Latitude offer on my sailing (Epic 1/5/13). Boo hoo, LOL.

I thought as much, but it was worth a try! I'll post here again if anything comes up combinable for me in the future.

Thanks again for all the help :D

Archived