Why I will NEVER sail NCL again, and will stick with Celebrity

irishayes

I read a page or two. Seems there was some Spring Break parties going on. Was there more we should be reading?

The real question - was it:

a) NCL, the brand

b) Spring Break party crowd

c) combination

d) something else that I did not see

There was an NCL ship anchored in Honduras while we were docked, and we were totally shocked by the huge number of high school kids on that ship. I asked one girl and she said there were four senior class trips on board. Sorry, not my idea of fun. BTW, I thought cruise lines stopped allowing high school groups? Looks like NCL still does.

i dont know if you read far enough. it was a free for all. kids defecating in the elevators. public sex in the bars. puking off the balconies. stealing an elderly womans scooter.

i really didn't think ncl was.on the same level as carnival, but IMO, they are just as bad.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Ok so i read from page 28 on and at first I was thinking "sounds like Irishayes just picked a bad time to take a cruise everyone else had fun" then I got to sportygirl's post and then that crazy rude Chicago guy...oh man!! Irishayes...I'm sorry you strayed from the safety of Celebrity...but have no fear we welcome you back with open arms!!:D That's one crazy cruise experience you had! Holy Moly!!!

PS - That Chicago guy...WOW..that's one unhappy fella!

Sorry you didn't have a good experience.

Really? Would you ever cruise NCL again? I considered going on Epic. :eek:

To go on a cruise during college spring break can be very iffy on some cruise lines. We sailed on NCL during this period a couple of years ago and would never do it again. The theme of the cruise could have been "Hooking Up". We have never made that mistake again but have been on many wonderful NCL cruises since then. I wonder if this was a five day trip?

Not all NCL cruises are like this, we sailed the GEM to the western Med and it was wonderful (both crew and majority of passengers.) That being said, I can't believe the absolute ignorance of the two party crowd individuals posting on that roll call. The guy from Chicago came off as completely ignorant and should be banned for that one very offensive reply, how has that not been deleted by the mods?

OP I am really sorry that you had to put up with all that, I think I will take a lesson from this and avoid any Caribbean cruises anywhere near spring break.

Wow! Post #589 is shocking. Yuck. As a Celebrity fan who also enjoys NCL, I'd chalk this up to bad timing. Sailing during Spring Break unfortunately brings about this poor (worse than poor; more like despicable) behavior, but I wouldn't blame NCL for it. I'd blame the timing of Spring Break. I also agree that when you think about these kids being our future, we are in big trouble. It's sad.

Not all NCL cruises are like this, we sailed the GEM to the western Med and it was wonderful (both crew and majority of passengers.) That being said, I can't believe the absolute ignorance of the two party crowd individuals posting on that roll call. The guy from Chicago came off as completely ignorant and should be banned for that one very offensive reply, how has that not been deleted by the mods?

OP I am really sorry that you had to put up with all that, I think I will take a lesson from this and avoid any Caribbean cruises anywhere near spring break.

I thought the same thing. Can you believe that's our future? I realize this is just a message board, but even his grammar struck me as ignorant. Do these kids even know how to put together a sentence? Ok, maybe I'm being too harsh, but I felt like I was reading a bad text message that was completely out of line and against forum rules. Perhaps no one has flagged that post.

I am 26 years old - however, I am pretty mature for my age and always have been. My mother and I took a cruise back in 2010 {I believe} that was during college spring break - it was the absolute worst cruise of my life! I was so greatful that my mother and I decided to upgrade to a balcony for that week long cruise - that was the only way we were able to enjoy our vacation without having to be subjected to some of the things going on topside. The things I saw made me ashamed to be their age. It was Carnival and sure we knew it was a party boat - we've never had that problem before - but that cruise really turned us off of cruising during spring break on any cruiseline!

I thought the same thing. Can you believe that's our future? I realize this is just a message board, but even his grammar struck me as ignorant. Do these kids even know how to put together a sentence? Ok, maybe I'm being too harsh, but I felt like I was reading a bad text message that was completely out of line and against forum rules. Perhaps no one has flagged that post.

It is pretty discouraging. :( His use of words like "dat" makes me automatically dismiss anything else he had to say.

I imagine those posts will disappear soon. I know, it is probably difficult for the mods to keep up with the thousands of posts on this forum, but I am sure it is on their radar now.

can some one please tell me how to find a cruise like this. i was thinking about a transatlantic cruise were i could read a few books on my balcony, but this cruise sounds far more entertaining.

can some one please tell me how to find a cruise like this. I was thinking about a transatlantic cruise were i could read a few books on my balcony, but this cruise sounds far more entertaining.

lol!

I thought all the cruise lines - even Carnival, the grandaddy of the party 'til you drop crowd - require that at least one person in a cabin be over 21 years of age. If followed, that requirement should necessarily limit the number of revelers, particularly the high school crowd someone mentioned earlier. It appears the "rules are meant to be broken" mentality kicks in big time during spring break.

I've been on many CARNIVAL cruises (touted as the Party Cruise Line....often by people who have never cruised on Carnival). I've NEVER seen anything like this. Being trapped for a week in that situation has to be one of Dante's nine rings of hell....Number 7, I believe. I feel so badly for any NORMAL people stuck with that situation. 7 days and where does one go to avoid it? I'd probably have been in my room MUCH more than usual, just to avoid that kind of scene.

OP I give you a lot of credit for being as NICE about it as you were. I doubt that I'd have been able to find as many good things to say about the cruise as you did, as the MAJOR negatives would have colored my entire impression and memory of the cruise. So good on you for that!

Yes, though I've never seen that display of classless behavior on Carnival, I'm still going to stick w/ Celebrity and Princess until I get REALLY old and then switch to HAL. LOL

Oh and as for spring break, I HAVE cruised (with my then college aged kids) on Carnival during spring break. Twice. There was more of a party atmosphere than usual but NOTHING like the shenanigans (Shenanigans is probably of Irish origin, so this is my tribute to St. Patrick's Day... have a happy one everyone). I have a low tolerance for drunken obnoxious rude and disgusting behavior and I had no problem on those 2 spring break cruises. However now that my kids are grown, if I were cruising during spring break it wouldn't be on Carnival, RCL or NCL.

Yes, though I've never seen that display of classless juvenile behavior on Carnival, I'm still going to stick w/ Celebrity and Princess until I get REALLY old (maybe next year) and then switch to HAL. LOL

Well, the reason we went on Spring Break week is that we brought our college freshman daughter with us. She goes to a school in Florida, so we flew into West Palm Beach, picked her up and headed for Miami and the cruise.

She was thoroughly disgusted by the behavior of her peers. By the end of the week, her mantra was "I don't like people."

I would be so ashamed to be the momma of the majority of those idiots on our cruise.

Wow, OP! It must have been you. How could anyone not enjoy a cruise with shipmates who have as much charm, intelligence, and erudition as Chicago Jeff? ;)

LOL, I share your gift of sarcasm. I thought of replying to him that it's a bit difficult to take him seriously when he types words like "bidness" and "dat" and comes across as an adolescent with half a brain cell . . .but I refrained.

I thought all the cruise lines - even Carnival, the grandaddy of the party 'til you drop crowd - require that at least one person in a cabin be over 21 years of age. If followed, that requirement should necessarily limit the number of revelers, particularly the high school crowd someone mentioned earlier. It appears the "rules are meant to be broken" mentality kicks in big time during spring break.

You do need to be 21 and as a survivor of one these cruises rest assured they were college seniors, not high school.

This spring break behavior is nothing new, MTV has been airing outrageous break behavior since the 90s. Once kids are out of college and facing the real world I'm sure they settled down and become responsible adults.

Well, the reason we went on Spring Break week is that we brought our college freshman daughter with us. She goes to a school in Florida, so we flew into West Palm Beach, picked her up and headed for Miami and the cruise.

She was thoroughly disgusted by the behavior of her peers. By the end of the week, her mantra was "I don't like people."

I would be so ashamed to be the momma of the majority of those idiots on our cruise.

Next time cruise Celebrity. We were on the Eclipse March 3rd cruise and there were college students traveling w/parents, no party animals. We had a great time.

Perhaps you fell into the same trap we did when we did our breaker cruise, the trip was so cheap we couldn't resist. NEVER AGAIN!

Archived