Dress code advice

benzamg

Shorts and jeans are allowed for breakfast and lunch. You can wear shorts into the Terrace Cafe for dinner as well. You just can't wear shorts and jeans into the GDR and specialty restaurants.

You can wear shorts and jeans into the MDR for breakfast and lunch but not dinner.

Elegant, casual resort wear is suggested.....

I never really saw anyone have "elegant" casual resort wear for afternoon tea. Perhaps this is because all our cruises have been in the warmer months and most people would come in from their touring and go directly to tea.

I never really saw anyone have "elegant" casual resort wear for afternoon tea. Perhaps this is because all our cruises have been in the warmer months and most people would come in from their touring and go directly to tea.

Cruised 10 times in May/June and also never saw anything one could consider any more "elegant" than you normally see at breakfast.;)

On our TA on the Marina we ate in the buffet almost every night (because it was so fabulous). I never saw so many slobs on an O cruise. Dress code? None at all. Not like any resort or country club I know. Granted, they were not in the GDR, but the attire surprised me. And it was not as if they rushed back from an excursion -- we had tons of sea days.

This has not been our experience on the R ships. We love to dress well and I overpack accordingly. Fellow cruisers are usually looking quite good.

I am wondering if the demographic was very different because the fare on a TA is cheaper.

My DH and I are sailing on the Regatta in May, our first cruise on Oceania. Our itinerary in cludes French Polynesia islands and Hawaiian islands crossing to San Francisco. So it will be warm weather. Do you think my husband needs to pack ties? He has a suit jacket and collared shirts to wear under it. Do the dining areas tend to be chilly?

My DH and I are sailing on the Regatta in May, our first cruise on Oceania. Our itinerary in cludes French Polynesia islands and Hawaiian islands crossing to San Francisco. So it will be warm weather. Do you think my husband needs to pack ties? He has a suit jacket and collared shirts to wear under it. Do the dining areas tend to be chilly?

NO TIES!!! :eek:

He does not need a jacket unless he wants to bring one

Lyn

Shorts and jeans are allowed for breakfast and lunch. You can wear shorts into the Terrace Cafe for dinner as well. You just can't wear shorts and jeans into the GDR and specialty restaurants.

You can wear shorts and jeans into the MDR for breakfast and lunch but not dinner.

Thanks to both of you for your quick reponses. Sounds pretty much like Holland America.

Now do you have a Lido (cafeteria like) on your ships. A place to eat breakfast and/or lunch?

Many times, we have come straight from an excursion and gone to tea. We did not change and never felt out of place, as lots of other passengers were doing the same thing.

We have done the same thing

I have even worn shorts to tea :eek:

On our TA on the Marina we ate in the buffet almost every night (because it was so fabulous). I never saw so many slobs on an O cruise. Dress code? None at all. Not like any resort or country club I know. Granted, they were not in the GDR, but the attire surprised me. And it was not as if they rushed back from an excursion -- we had tons of sea days.

This has not been our experience on the R ships. We love to dress well and I overpack accordingly. Fellow cruisers are usually looking quite good.

I am wondering if the demographic was very different because the fare on a TA is cheaper.

What were your fellow passengers wearing??!!

Torn jeans, sweats, even gym clothes -- I am no snob about dress -- I love to be comfortable -- but I was with a group of previous O cruisers and we all noticed that the dress code in the buffet was more NCL than O for some (not all).

Torn jeans, sweats, even gym clothes -- I am no snob about dress -- I love to be comfortable -- but I was with a group of previous O cruisers and we all noticed that the dress code in the buffet was more NCL than O for some (not all).

This was at dinner??? :eek:

We have done the same thing

I have even worn shorts to tea :eek:

Just a funny note Lyn..on the first couple of cruises on the original Regatta when she first came out..they didnt allow shorts at tea. That did change quickly..

Jancruz1

Thanks, now I think I have it straight. You have been very helpful.

Sounds like you would enjoy spending some time on the Oceania website!Not only will you get all the information you are looking for but it will make you more excited about your booking.;)

Sounds like you would enjoy spending some time on the Oceania website!Not only will you get all the information you are looking for but it will make you more excited about your booking.;)

You know, I already have but they seem to be a little unclear when it comes to short and jeans. So that's why I came here to CC to get more information. I am excited about taking a Oceania cruise but also a little apprehensive.

Just a funny note Lyn..on the first couple of cruises on the original Regatta when she first came out..they didnt allow shorts at tea. That did change quickly..

Jancruz1

Our first cruise in 2004 I would go change for tea ...casual slacks, nice top but saw others in shorts etc... so did not bother changing on the next cruises

• 2 weeks later...

Wear what you want. On my last cruise on Oceania, jeans were worn at every venue, along with gym clothes to the MDR for dinner. At Polo, a young woman wore shorts. And I was worried about wearing open-toed shoes.

Wear what you want. On my last cruise on Oceania, jeans were worn at every venue, along with gym clothes to the MDR for dinner. At Polo, a young woman wore shorts. And I was worried about wearing open-toed shoes.

I am really surprised. That has not generally been our experience for the GDR or specialty restaurants. Granted, you were sailing the Caribbean and during a holiday (where I suppose there were more kids) where dress tends to be a bit more casual.

My advice to a first time O cruiser would be NOT to plan to wear jeans or gym clothes in those venues.

I am really surprised. That has not generally been our experience for the GDR or specialty restaurants. Granted, you were sailing the Caribbean and during a holiday (where I suppose there were more kids) where dress tends to be a bit more casual.

My advice to a first time O cruiser would be NOT to plan to wear jeans or gym clothes in those venues.

Completely agree.

• 3 weeks later...

For Riviera sailing in May, I am planning for some dinners to wear sport coat, dress shirt and nice jeans with dress shoes. I hope that is okay. If necessary I will limit this to alternative venues, depending on what I see people have on. I know it's hard to discriminate on "some jeans are okay and some aren't" so i understand the restriction. At the same time I feel the look I have in mind is absolutely dressier than dockers + polo shirt + soft shoes.

Archived