What is the best or worse thing a cabin neighbor has done?

scomar

This sort of cabin-oriented problem might be better handled by your cabin steward

who might arrange for the door handle to be removed over on the kid's side?

I would've spoken to him -if no discipline came from the parents.

You know, we didn't even think about telling the cabin steward (who was wonderful!) My husband is an industrial mechanic and tends to handle our "mechanical" issues most times. Didn't realize the door handle could be removed (yes, I know door handles are removable). DH just propped something up on our side that kept the handle from being moved. Didn't damage the door and easily removed when we left so no one had to put the handle back on.

Hmm....a lot of complaints about smoke. From what I remember, smoking is allowed on balconies on Carnival. I understand people dont like smoke, but the smokers pay for their cabins and pay for that right to smoke. So imo, smokers are doing nothing negative or positive....they are doing what they are allowed to do. I could understand if smoking was banned on balconies, but it isn't.

Exactly my opinion. Most of us smoke in my family, and we get balcony staterooms mainly because of that: so we can smoke without leaving our rooms (which, as you say, IS allowed in the balcony).

I guess I can understand non-smokers' complaints, but maybe the cruise lines could make an extra effort to designate some of those balcony staterooms for smokers so we all end up next to each other or something?

It seems like people who drink are a bigger problem than smokers. So maybe you shouldn't be allowed to drink or limit them two or three drinks a day. People who smoke to much don't beat their spouse or yell and scream all night.

Same people committed the only problems I ever had. We had a very loud couple, that had very long and loud "relations". From what we could here they sounded French. It was quite comical to me at first, but after a while it just happened so much and so loud I began to wonder if it was a prank. I cant really complain, it was just strange laying in bed at night waiting for them to finish with all the racket so that we could sleep. I'm just glad this was before we had kids : )

The bad thing was we were on an ocean view level, no balconies, and they smoked like crazy. It made its way into our cabin allot. They would be so brave as to have glasses of cigarette butts on their room service trays sitting in front of their door to take away. It was the only time we actually ever complained about someone on a cruise. Sadly they told us it couldn't be proved so there was nothing they could do.

Its about time someone had the guts to say it, and you guested it, SO DO I! Im sick and tired of being treated like a leper, im not :mad:.

Just got off a cruise and in the parts we were allowed to smoke, non smokers were sitting on our seats with fake coughs and hand gestures with the smoke :eek:, why sit there? they had 99% of the ship that was non smoking, but the 1% we had, they wanted it too.

I dont voice my option when someone sits next to me stinking of

alcohol ! or may be us smokers are just more polite!

Our money is as good as their's and so are our rights, anyway the fun part of the ship was always where the smokers were, they were always the happiest and friendly.

So I smoke too :)

I do not smoke. I can't stand the smell. I become dizzy, sick to my stomach, and begin to cough after a few moments of breathing it in. Inhalers are a miracle for those of us whose lungs scream for air. I understand you have the 'right' to smoke on your balcony. I do not treat those who smoke as lepers, however, we also PAID for the right to enjoy our balcony too. We have been very lucky in all of our cruises to have neighbors who respected us enough not to smoke continously on their balcony. We, in return, have given them the respect to not complain or act ugly, should they choose to chain smoke non-stop for a couple of hours or more on their balcony. Until our last cruise... We had an aft and I can honestly say that the rooms to the side, below and above, all had heavy smokers who enjoyed their smokes and meeting/greeting one another from all areas of the aft. All hours of the day AND night! No matter when we tried to use our little space of heaven, we never could. Ashes were always on our chairs, and on the deck flooring. (not to mention in our drinks, and on us, if we spent a few moments outside). I am not complaining of your right to smoke. I just wish that there was a way that the cruiselines could find a way to 'separate' the smoking balconies from the non-smoking ones. For those of us who are highly allergic to the smoke, it would be a blessing to have smoke-free balconies. As I said... you have the right to smoke but I have the right to breathe.

We have had great neighbors on our 7 cruises. One even loaned me her suntan lotion so I wouldn't burn! How kind she was. On that same cruise, another passenger who was up one level and over two, became friends with us as we seemed to be out on the balconies at the same time. We even went to a bar for drinks a coupe times. We both had handbags made by the same company so we would call to each other by that name. We are still in contact!

But we have had rooms for two cruises that had other noisy issues. We were located on the top level of rooms. Right under the pools. On both, we thought that that they held piano races above us late at night! (They were just moving the deck chairs to clean the floors) But it was very loud.

On our last cruise we rolled the dice for our room, asking for a balcony but paying the cheapest price, then wait to see where they place us. Our room was across from the doors for the stewards and room service people to enter and exit their 'world.' Every morning they would all start through the doors with their carts slamming agains the metal doors and going over the threshold. For the first two days, the door even squeaked. My husband told them about the squeak and it was taken care of within an hour but there was nothing to stop the banging at 6:30 every morning for two weeks!

By about the fifth morning, I still heard it every morning and it would wake me - for a moment - but I would go right back to sleep as I was so tired from all the fun we were having the rest of the day.

When life gives you lemons,make lemonade!

The best thing a neighbor in the cabin next to mine did was deliver my green bag to me when the steward accidentally left it in their room by mistake. They did comment on how heavy my bag was. Yup, that was the bag with all the good stuff in it. Here I was waiting to be called to the naughty room and my bag was next door the whole time. So glad my neighbors didn't snoop. :) Thanks neighbors!

The worst thing a neighbor ever did? The lady across the hall insisted her balcony cabin was too small (hey she shoulda seen my inside with four women). She left her door open and raised a huge stink. There was nothing they could do to appease her. Until of course when she asked for a corkscrew and they gave her one of the really cheap ones. Then she complained so they gave her mine. :( Technically it belonged to Carnival but they gave it to me first. Oh well. Later in the day I held up my bottle of vodka all wrapped pretty in blue paper and a bow from the Bon Voyage dept. and asked her is she got her free bottle yet? hehehe ;)

The worst thing a neighbor ever did? The lady across the hall insisted her balcony cabin was too small (hey she shoulda seen my inside with four women). She left her door open and raised a huge stink. There was nothing they could do to appease her. Until of course when she asked for a corkscrew and they gave her one of the really cheap ones. Then she complained so they gave her mine. :( Technically it belonged to Carnival but they gave it to me first. Oh well. Later in the day I held up my bottle of vodka all wrapped pretty in blue paper and a bow from the Bon Voyage dept. and asked her is she got her free bottle yet? hehehe ;)

Bet the look on her face was priceless. You go girl!

While we were on our honeymoon we had a family that the husband

knocked on our door at 2 in the morning drunk because he was locked

out of his room and wanted to scale our balcony. The next night he knocked on our door at 1 am to show us a cricket he found. Then there son kept trying to look under our balcony. All on our honeymoon UGH!!

He woke you up to show you a cricket!? Oh dear...:confused:

Exactly my opinion. Most of us smoke in my family, and we get balcony staterooms mainly because of that: so we can smoke without leaving our rooms (which, as you say, IS allowed in the balcony).

I guess I can understand non-smokers' complaints, but maybe the cruise lines could make an extra effort to designate some of those balcony staterooms for smokers so we all end up next to each other or something?

Agreed, hope the cruiselines figure this out pretty soon. Why not designate 1 whole area of cabins as smoking like hotels do, then we smokers can enjoy our cruise w/o hearing all the complaints.

I don't think you need to disclose the cruise line or ship, but how and who might help someone avoid a similar problem! :confused:

No need to feed into it, the poster would put some vague details if true or possible.. but just wants people to fish for answers.

Its about time someone had the guts to say it, and you guested it, SO DO I! Im sick and tired of being treated like a leper, im not :mad:.

Smoking was a problem on our balcony too, plus the slamming of the doors. Not against smokers, it's just we don't want to breathe smoke on our balcony when we paid for fresh ocean air.

Same way I'm sure a smoker wouldn't want a person with chronic gas next to them farting all the time that it smells like an outhouse.

The best were our Aussie neighbors on the Hawaiian cruise. She even passed me some cough syrup because I had bronchitis... She made it clear she was concerned because the cough sounded so bad, and not because I was bothering them :p. I was worried they could hear me through the walls (she said they couldn't). They were super nice and friendly-- we had evening chats every night about what we did on the islands.

I don't have any bad stories... On the other cruises, if we had neighbors we never knew it.

Smoking was a problem on our balcony too, plus the slamming of the doors. Not against smokers, it's just we don't want to breathe smoke on our balcony when we paid for fresh ocean air.

Same way I'm sure a smoker wouldn't want a person with chronic gas next to them farting all the time that it smells like an outhouse.

Love the smell of farts - so what's your point

Had some very small children across the hall running back and forth in front of our cabin, and about three more to either side. I thought...great,now we'll never get to sleep (this was really late at night). But we grinned and made the best of the situation. Turns out those kids just would not go to sleep and dad was trying to get the wiggles out. It wasn't really that bad. Certainly nothing to ruin a vacation.

On my most recent cruise on the Pride a few weeks back....

On about the 3rd night, around 10:00pm, the parents decided to punish their child of about 10 years old and lock him out onto the balcony for a good 1/2 hour......HE SCREAMED AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS THE ENTIRE TIME HE WAS OUT THERE.

Really????? who does that:rolleyes:

how much of a problem could cigarette smoke and farting really affect you with a a 22 knot wind blowing past your baloney because that is how fast the wind blows past underway.

Archived