Dinner attire for boys

Something else to keep in mind on Formal night, most young boys will not appreciate the food. Snails?!?! Most younger boys would be much happier with a corn dog or pizza.

You do not have to eat in the Main Dining room on formal night, many people do not. If the menu doesn't sit well with your kids you can most certainly eat at the Windjammer without formal attire LOL

You can also take them to the Adventure Club for kids.

It is their vacation too and if they are really dead set against wearing a suit or tie there are a ton of other options. Formal is for the main dining room only.

Our cruise has 2 formal nights. I made a compromise with my older teenage boys. The first formal night they will be going to the Main dining room and dressing in suits ... if they know what's good for them and like breathing lol

On the second formal night, they are on their own. Hubby and I will be dressing correctly and eating in the main dining room but my teens have the option of playing hooky and eating at the windjammer and hitting the Flowrider rather then getting dressed for dinner.

I have 2 teen sons, 17 and 15. I am doing the 2 pairs of slacks for casual/smart casual dinners. They both have a suit and tie for formal night. I am sure kids can get away with not wearing a suit on formal night... however I am putting my mama foot down with this one. They will be dressed like proper young gentlemen at least once on my vacation or they don't eat. When they pay for their own cruise.. they can wear what they want LOL

Its not often I can get my 2 teenagers to dress up =(

I look forward to seeing them all sharp looking ...even if its only because they are starving :D

It is also a good lesson to teach kids. Dressing correctly for what the occasion calls for is a lesson in good manners and decorum. The compass clearly states formal as that is what the cruise folks want. Can you eat in shorts and a tshirt on formal night? I am sure there are those that do but I prefer teaching my kids that when invited anywhere or asked to dress in a certain way its good manners to do so. :D

Does that mean any parent that doesn't dress their kid up on formal night a bad parent? NOPE, not at all. Its a pet peeve manner thing in my family and with my kids. I am not raising every kid on the ship so am only worried about what mine wear and don't bother at being a clothing police for the rest of the guest ;)

I'm happy this all works for you, I really am. My kids are grown now and we taught them when you're on vacation, relax and wear what you want (we never once MADE them dress any certain way for anything) and accept and respect everyone elses choices whether you like it or not. My kids grew up watching dad wear shorts and flip flops to just about everywhere, including church. My oldest daughter got married this past May and she told me if I wanted to walk her down the aisle in flip flops that would be fine, mission accomplished.

I'm happy this all works for you, I really am. My kids are grown now and we taught them when you're on vacation, relax and wear what you want (we never once MADE them dress any certain way for anything) and accept and respect everyone elses choices whether you like it or not. My kids grew up watching dad wear shorts and flip flops to just about everywhere, including church. My oldest daughter got married this past May and she told me if I wanted to walk her down the aisle in flip flops that would be fine, mission accomplished.

I understand where you are coming from. For the most part we allow the boys to wear what they want (within reason HA HA) while on vacation. They look like beach bums most of the trip.

The Main dining room is there for those who prefer dressing up for dinner. If my boys do not want to dress as the occasion calls for they can go eat at the Windjammer or grab a pizza or hot dogs elsewhere on board. It is not as if the entire ship has to be in suits ... imagine the Flowrider in suit and ties HA HA HA

The dress code covers one very small area of a very large cruise ship. There are a ton of other options to eat at so nobody is forced into the dining room.

Since there are so many other dining options available I see no reason to come to dinner in shorts and flip flops. It is discourteous to the other passengers who enjoy dressing up for dinner.

To be honest I do not understand the reasoning of wearing shorts and flip flops to the main dining area? A huge part of the occasion is the dressing up and eating in an elegant atmosphere. If a family isn't into all of that and enjoy things more casual it would seem to me they would not enjoy the formal night in the main dining room? I would think that family would have a ton more fun at the Windjammer and then hitting the pool right after?:D

I understand where you are coming from. For the most part we allow the boys to wear what they want (within reason HA HA) while on vacation. They look like beach bums most of the trip.

The Main dining room is there for those who prefer dressing up for dinner. If my boys do not want to dress as the occasion calls for they can go eat at the Windjammer or grab a pizza or hot dogs elsewhere on board. It is not as if the entire ship has to be in suits ... imagine the Flowrider in suit and ties HA HA HA

The dress code covers one very small area of a very large cruise ship. There are a ton of other options to eat at so nobody is forced into the dining room.

Since there are so many other dining options available I see no reason to come to dinner in shorts and flip flops. It is discourteous to the other passengers who enjoy dressing up for dinner.

To be honest I do not understand the reasoning of wearing shorts and flip flops to the main dining area?

A huge part of the occasion is the dressing up and eating in an elegant atmosphere. If a family isn't into all of that and enjoy things more casual it would seem to me they would not enjoy the formal night in the main dining room? I would think that family would have a ton more fun at the Windjammer and then hitting the pool right after?:D

I figured I'd respond and answer or comment on only the bolded parts of your post. I come to dinner in shorts and flip flops ,on occasion, because I find it comfortable and i don't view it as discouteous to other passengers frankly, I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would notice what I'm wearing. We, when we cruised with all our kids, and now when we don't, find one of the things we really enjoy is the excellent service we have always been given in the MDR if that were available in the WJ we probably would have eaten there.

Another way to look at things

99% of the ship is for casual or less then casual clothing.

1% of the ship is set aside for dressing nicely and only for dinner as breakfast and lunch have no dress code.

I think they are being considerate to all families with this. For those older folks or ones celebrating special events or heck... just like dressing nicely for dinner there is a place for them to do so.

I can't very well wear a cocktail dress to the Windjammer HA HA

Folks who prefer a more casual trip have a ton of places to eat. Those wishing to dress up only have the Main Dining room and only at dinner. I see no reason to infringe on their good time with my shorts and flip flops as 99% of the ship welcome my flip flops :D

I figured I'd respond and answer or comment on only the bolded parts of your post. I come to dinner in shorts and flip flops ,on occasion, because I find it comfortable and i don't view it as discouteous to other passengers frankly, I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would notice what I'm wearing. We, when we cruised with all our kids, and now when we don't, find one of the things we really enjoy is the excellent service we have always been given in the MDR if that were available in the WJ we probably would have eaten there.

I am not the clothes police nor am I one of those "oh look...he is wearing flip flops on formal night..." kind of people.

However atmosphere is a huge part of the dining experience for people. It takes away from the elegant setting if people are walking by in shorts and flip flops. This is why they set aside the dress codes. For many people it takes away the "special" dress up feel to the dining experience. The service is wonderful in the main dining room because it is established as at a higher level dining experience. Part of that higher level dining experience is dressing the part. It is considered good manners to dress as the occasion calls. Would you wear shorts and flip flops to a job interview? Most would not as they want to put their best foot forward and dress as the occasion calls. Would you wear cut off shorts and flip flops to Grandma's funeral? Most likely not as the occasion calls for a certain manner of dress. This is just good manners. If I allowed my boys to go to dinner in their bathing trunks/flip flops and a towel wrapped around their neck I would not be doing my job as a parent in teaching them manners and being considerate to those around them.

As stated ~ I am not the clothes police and would never say anything to someone wearing flip flops. I do make sure my boys are learning good manners and dressing as they are asked to do so by dress code.

Perhaps people who wear "odd" things into the MDR are doing so for the attention?

Many will say they never notice what others are wearing..yada..yada..but when posters constantly remind us that they wear flip flops..wife beaters..shorts..and other assorted clothing items..seems as if they are trying attract some kind of attention to themselves, IMO.

Sorta like the guy with the handlebar moustache that had mini Christmas balls hanging off the "curls" on his moustache. Ya think he did that not to get himself some attention?:p

I am not the clothes police nor am I one of those "oh look...he is wearing flip flops on formal night..." kind of people.

However atmosphere is a huge part of the dining experience for people. It takes away from the elegant setting if people are walking by in shorts and flip flops. This is why they set aside the dress codes. For many people it takes away the "special" dress up feel to the dining experience. The service is wonderful in the main dining room because it is established as at a higher level dining experience. Part of that higher level dining experience is dressing the part. It is considered good manners to dress as the occasion calls. Would you wear shorts and flip flops to a job interview? Most would not as they want to put their best foot forward and dress as the occasion calls. Would you wear cut off shorts and flip flops to Grandma's funeral? Most likely not as the occasion calls for a certain manner of dress. This is just good manners. If I allowed my boys to go to dinner in their bathing trunks/flip flops and a towel wrapped around their neck I would not be doing my job as a parent in teaching them manners and being considerate to those around them.

As stated ~ I am not the clothes police and would never say anything to someone wearing flip flops. I do make sure my boys are learning good manners and dressing as they are asked to do so by dress code.

I agree with you certain occasions require a certain level of dress what i don't agree with you on is that dining in the MDR on a cruise ship is one of those.

Uh, perhaps because they can see? :confused: :D

Perhaps people who wear "odd" things into the MDR are doing so for the attention?

Many will say they never notice what others are wearing..yada..yada..but when posters constantly remind us that they wear flip flops..wife beaters..shorts..and other assorted clothing items..seems as if they are trying attract some kind of attention to themselves, IMO.

Sorta like the guy with the handlebar moustache that had mini Christmas balls hanging off the "curls" on his moustache. Ya think he did that not to get himself some attention?:p

Wrong, maybe they wear what you call "odd" because it's not odd to them at all. And maybe they remind you all what they wear because so many on here are telling people what they can't wear. The fact is, it isn't up to you or I, it's up to RCI and I have never been turned away from the MDR so they apparantly don't have a problem. The guy with the bells prob wanted some attention :)

Uh, perhaps because they can see? :confused:

I can see too but I'm usually too busy paying attention to my wife and the food and wine to worry about what you do or don't have on. Unless you're under my table creeping you can't "see" that I have flip flops on. Just cause you can see doesn't mean you have to look.

I can see too but I'm usually too busy paying attention to my wife and the food and wine to worry about what you do or don't have on. Unless you're under my table creeping you can't "see" that I have flip flops on. Just cause you can see doesn't mean you have to look.

Hey, you said "I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would notice what I'm wearing." You didn't say that you can't figure out why anyone would worry about what I'm wearing. That would have been different.

And I can certainly see people as then enter and leave the dining room, while they're not at their table!

Is your last line supposed to be a joke?

I agree with you certain occasions require a certain level of dress what i don't agree with you on is that dining in the MDR on a cruise ship is one of those.

Again ...I am not the clothes police HA HA

I am giving my own personal opinions as to why I do make sure my family is dressed as the dress code dictates.

Formal night is a great occasion to teach your children manners. Granted if they are screaming monkeys ... don't bring them LOL

But I think its very important for me to expose my kids and teach them proper table manners in a formal setting. Which fork to use when... which spoon is used for which entree... As well as elbows off the table, no farting or belching and no scratching of private parts HA HA

Everyone should have a basic knowledge of formal table manners as they will be important at least once in your life. Part of formal table manners is dressing the part. This will ensure that in the future if my kids find themselves eating with the President of the United States they know what to wear and how to eat correctly HA HA

Its an invaluable learning chance to give your kids. If the parents don't follow these rules (IMO) it is teaching kids that some rules/laws are not worth following. As parents we set the example and that is important.

Does this mean we have formal sit down meals at the house? HA HA HA no.

I usually have a handful of teenage boys running through my kitchen, grabbing whatever they can and inhaling it. ;)

Assuming everyone can read.

Please zoom in and look to the right hand side. This is printed daily.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa409/virtue374/IMG_0255.jpg

The words " Not Permitted" are clearly displayed.

Happy cruising.

Occasionally I have seen on Themed nights, on some sailings they actually print Shorts are allowed.

So plan accordingly.

This statement is incorrect in a major way. Up until 15 years ago formal night was every night on a cruise in the main dining room. There are 100s of years worth of tradition in dressing formally for dinner on a cruise. Haven't you watched the Titanic? HA HA

Only recently have they cut the formal nights to just a few to make the more casual folks happier but since the beginning of cruise ships the occasion has always called for dressing nicely for dinner.

I have always had my 7 yr old son dress for dinner in pants and polo/button down for casual and a suit for formal. It's not hard to pack 2 pairs of pants (a khaki, and navy or black) to be used over the week. It is a great teaching moment for kids learning that there will be occasions when you need to dress up whether they like it or not. My son is so used to it now that he isn't phased at all by having to dress up for an event and even enjoys choosing the more formal clothes so he can wear it with pride.

Its an invaluable learning chance to give your kids. If the parents don't follow these rules (IMO) it is teaching kids that some rules/laws are not worth following. As parents we set the example and that is important.

So how do you decide which rule they should follow and which rule they don't have to follow? It is important to follow the suggested dress code but not the suggested minimum age for an event like the quest? Seems a little hypocritical to me.

So how do you decide which rule they should follow and which rule they don't have to follow? It is important to follow the suggested dress code but not the suggested minimum age for an event like the quest? Seems a little hypocritical to me.

I called and asked about The quest and also found on their website that The Quest is rated PG 13. My boys are 17 and 15 so they do follow the PG13 rule.

But just the fact that I looked into the age requirements should show that I do make sure my boys understand the importance of following the rules.

On CC-it is very important to follow the dress code and don't wear shorts in the MDR but heck-don't worry about the rules and bring on all the soda and water you want. ;)

I find on CC-for some-they follow the rules they want. I have read many that I call the fashion police state rules and what it says in the compass for dress attire to follow but tell others on other threads 'they always bring soda and water on' so yeah-a tad bit of hypocrisy goes on around here quite often!!:)

I personally could care less what you wear or how many beverages you want to haul on the ship. I just laugh at some folks who are the go by the rules here but not over there!!:cool:

I don't necessarily disagree with you. The reason I am not budging on this issue with my kids is because they are requested to dress a certain way for dinner. As they grow up and are faced with situations that call for a certain level of dress, I don't want them to arbitrarily decide when they can ignore the request and when they cannot. You, personally, don't feel the MDR calls for a certain level of dress but many people do, including the ship's management.

There are many times when my kids have had to dress up when they would have preferred not to. And guess what? I don't really care.

If the dress code says no shorts, my kids will not wear shorts. I don't care if they are the only ones in the dining room in long pants.

When my boys decide that putting pants on for dinner is too much trouble they can just stay home.

We all make parenting decisions that are right for our individual families. While I am adamant on this issue with my family, I really don't care what anyone else does.

This statement is incorrect in a major way. Up until 15 years ago formal night was every night on a cruise in the main dining room. There are 100s of years worth of tradition in dressing formally for dinner on a cruise. Haven't you watched the Titanic? HA HA

Only recently have they cut the formal nights to just a few to make the more casual folks happier but since the beginning of cruise ships the occasion has always called for dressing nicely for dinner.

And they cut them why? Because formal stuff is past and a lot of people don't want to do that anymore and RCI wants to fill their ships

Hey, you said "I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would notice what I'm wearing." You didn't say that you can't figure out why anyone would worry about what I'm wearing. That would have been different.

And I can certainly see people as then enter and leave the dining room, while they're not at their table!

Is your last line supposed to be a joke?

I can see them too but I don't look at them it's not that i don't worry about them, I don't notice them. No joke.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. The reason I am not budging on this issue with my kids is because they are requested to dress a certain way for dinner. As they grow up and are faced with situations that call for a certain level of dress, I don't want them to arbitrarily decide when they can ignore the request and when they cannot. You, personally, don't feel the MDR calls for a certain level of dress but many people do, including the ship's management.

There are many times when my kids have had to dress up when they would have preferred not to. And guess what? I don't really care.

If the dress code says no shorts, my kids will not wear shorts. I don't care if they are the only ones in the dining room in long pants.

When my boys decide that putting pants on for dinner is too much trouble they can just stay home.

We all make parenting decisions that are right for our individual families. While I am adamant on this issue with my family, I really don't care what anyone else does.

If the ship's management cares then they should be the one's to stop someone don't you think?

Archived