A suggestion for solo cruisers

Bridge Maven

My mother in law, who was a widow at the time, took our daughter on a few cruises when she was growing up. With the single supplement her cabin would have cost the same whether she cruised by herself or with our daughter. So it didn't cost very much extra, and provided an opportunity for them to take special vacations together.

Just thought I would mention it because there have been a lot of posts from solo cruisers complaining about single supplements, and I thought this was a great idea.

That is great for them.:) But not all of want to share a cabin.

I haven't looked at the SS for years. I look at the total price of the

cruise and if it is within my budget. Personally, I still feel a cruise

is the best vacation my money can buy. I may be in the minority

but I really don't care;). I have lived on my own for years and have

no desire to share a cabin again....I mean if one day in my life I could

afford the PH? (that will never happen) BUT if it did? Then maybe

I would possibly share it:D but on the usual cruise cabin? I am happy

going on my own. Not all of us complain about it.

After my mother died I took my dad on a few cruises and land vacations to get him out of the house. Three or four years later we were ready to strangle each other. Now I vacation solo and no with one else. I love my dad, don't get me wrong. Just don't have any desire to be the Cruise Director for him when I'm trying to relax on vacation. ;)

I am traveling solo on my next two cruises. I don't mind traveling alone, and I have the time. Cruises are great for solo travelers .

I take my girlfriend, and nephews on vacations often. Sometimes a cruise isn't a good fit with school and work schedules. I chose to cruise to Europe on a TA instead of flying. My girlfriend is meeting me in Rome for 9 days. Her work schedule would never allow a longer trip.

I think Bridfge Maven is correct, for some people. I don't want to share a cramped ship stateroom with anyone other than my girlfriend, that's just me.

I think the issue with the single supplement is that 200% is excessive given only one person is eating and using the ships facilities. We shouldn't HAVE to bring a guest.

I think the issue with the single supplement is that 200% is excessive given only one person is eating and using the ships facilities. We shouldn't HAVE to bring a guest.

To me, that's EXACTLY the issue.

And I have no daughters, nieces or sisters to take for almost free, anyway.

That is great for them.:) But not all of want to share a cabin.

I haven't looked at the SS for years. I look at the total price of the

cruise and if it is within my budget. Personally, I still feel a cruise

is the best vacation my money can buy. I may be in the minority

but I really don't care;). I have lived on my own for years and have

no desire to share a cabin again....I mean if one day in my life I could

afford the PH? (that will never happen) BUT if it did? Then maybe

I would possibly share it:D but on the usual cruise cabin? I am happy

going on my own. Not all of us complain about it.

Yup, gotta agree with Lois. :)

I too enjoy traveling solo. I went that way on my first cruise last December and made two wonderful friends at dinner. We are planning a reunion cruise for January 2013 and all 3 have booked solo cabins! We love each other and respect the fact that if we tried to room together we would quite possibly no longer be friends! LOL Some of us enjoy the solitude and seek out companionship on our terms. No need to bring along someone at our expense to justify the charge.

I too enjoy traveling solo. I went that way on my first cruise last December and made two wonderful friends at dinner. We are planning a reunion cruise for January 2013 and all 3 have booked solo cabins! We love each other and respect the fact that if we tried to room together we would quite possibly no longer be friends! LOL Some of us enjoy the solitude and seek out companionship on our terms. No need to bring along someone at our expense to justify the charge.

Nicely put. I don't have anyone that I would want to share the ship with, much less a cabin. Its hell to have outlived everyone. :):)

I most always travel solo. I don't want to have to be monitoring a child the entire cruise, so they will not miss-behave and possibly ruin someone's vacation nor do I want to have to change what I want to do for someone else. My vacations are for me...selfish maybe, but then I'm the one paying for the trip.

I still believe that a cruise line should reimburse single cruisers some of the single supplement if the cruise is not at 100% capacity.

OP,

I appreciate your suggestion, but the truth is that solos have no desire to share a cabin. As you known they are not that spacious to begin with. I do look at the single supplement when I shop for a cruise and, as a matter of principle, refuse to pay more than 150% of the double occupancy rate. Anything above that, and the cruise lines simply do not get my business.

Luis

Archived