flying into TPA at 1:10 PM will we make our 3:00 PM check-in for NCL Star?

IreneR

We have a direct flight on SWA leaving at 10:10 AM from upstste NY into Tampa on Sun., arrival into TPA is schedulede at 1:10 PM in Mid April. We are a little concerned about making the check-in at 3:00 PM for our NCL Star cruise. Just wondering if anyone has experienced our dilemma, or can offer suggestions. Thanks for any help. Irene

that's waaayyy too late....if your flight is delayed you are SOL....

can you change it??? you'll need a good half hour to get off the plane and get bags, then allow 20 minutes give or take to get to the pier...that's another hour..so you are cutting it too close

(do you have a NON STOP? Direct is not the same as non stop...a direct flight may well make a stop or 2 en route....)

you must be checked in 90 minutes prior to sailing as well

I would NEVER cut things so close....Many cruisers always fly the day before because there are just so many things that can screw up the airlines....weather (always a big one) ...mechanical problems...crew change...etc.

I would hate to miss a great cruise by trying to cut it so close....

You're on Southwest right? see if they have an earlier flight....i wouldn't be comfortable getting in that late....

if coming in the day before is not possible see if there is something else...even if you have to get creative and make a connection.....if it will get you there earlier that's better....

megr1125 We are flying SWA and our experience has been very favorable with their ontime arrivals. Being that its a Sunday and the port is not too far away we are crossing our fingers and toes and hoping for the best. We usually fly in the day befofe. We were wondering if anyone has arrived around this time for a successful check-in for the cruise.

BobT172 may I ask where in upstate NY you are from?

Thanks Irene

megr1125 BobT172 may I ask where in upstate NY you are from?

Irene... we are outside of Troy towards Bennington VT...

I agree SWA usually has a very good record but there are just too many things that could impact your on time arrival and in your case. it would only take one to miss your cruise.

Good luck...

Irene....Southwest has great arrival records..that said you never know what can happen..

for instance, this week, i was listening to live air traffic feed from another airport in the northeast...one plane lost most steering, declared an emergency and returned....NOW obviously that flight was going to be late..BUT EVERY other aircraft on approach was held circling the airport for maybe 20 minutes....

point being...your plane may NOT have an issue, another one MIGHT which will foul you up..you NEVER know....you are REALLY pushing your luck..and while I have rarely had issues with Southwest, I HAVE on occasion gotten to the airport, even for the 1st flight of the day, and it's late due to fog, wind, rain, the crew got stuck in traffic...

and you will most likely NOT find anyone who arrives that late...people will ask...can i make such and such and people here will tell them NO.....

it is ABOUT a 10 mile, 20-odd minute trip......

i have the feeling that you're either 1) locked into this, 2) not willing or unable to change, 3) looking for someone to assuage your concerns and telling you you will be fine or 4) a combination thereof....

you MIGHT make it..but ONE delay and you are SOL...you MUST MUST be CHECKED IN NINETY MINUTES prior to sailing...this is NOT negotiable and it is a homeland security rule, NOT the cruiseline and they are not going to hold the ship....Checked in does NOT mean running out of a cab waltzing into the terminal at 3 o'clock...it means CHECKED IN and ON THE SHIP......(or at least going UP the gangway with your seapass in hand..)

there is NO WAY i would ever take a flight arriving that late..even IF it was cruise air and even IF they PROMISED that i would be ok.....:eek:

I am going to take a wild a** guess that you're going ALB to TPA...

using a random sunday in April...can you possibly get on the 7:05 VIA FLL --you'll get to TPA at 11:45 giving you an extra hour and 15 minutes?

pickin's are getting slim as it's the week after easter and many schools still get that week off...not sure of the fare you paid either..

I agree with everyone else, you're cutting it way too close. I have done the BUF-TPA and the ALB-TPA flights many times (I did the ALB-TPA a couple days ago), and most are on time and are some of my favorite flights to operate. That said, if one thing goes wrong (fog, thunderstorms, ground stops, taxiing delays, etc.), you won't make your cruise. The great thing about Southwest is their lack of change fees (other than the difference in fare). They won't charge you $175 to change to an earlier flight like some other airlines. I would definitely look into booking an earlier flight or a flight the day before. You have the possibility of making it, but that possibility is very small. Thank you for flying with us and good luck!

megr1125 You are so right on several levels, but the direct flight takes one more landing and take-off out of the equation. All of your points are well taken.

If we were leavinig in the winter months from upstate NY it would be a no-brainer. This direct flight put us in an uneasy situation, therefore I am seeking info here.

Thank You for your sage advice Irene

KirkWN737 Your personal experience carries a lot of weight. I'll try to convince DH to make the appropriate changes. Thank you for your helpful advice.

I'll keep you posted on our flight decision Irene

megr1125 You are so right on several levels, but the direct flight takes one more landing and take-off out of the equation. All of your points are well taken.

If we were leavinig in the winter months from upstate NY it would be a no-brainer. This direct flight put us in an uneasy situation, therefore I am seeking info here.

Thank You for your sage advice Irene

Why did you ask if you aren't taking anyone's advice?

If one out of the million things that can go wrong does go wrong and delays your flight you are screwed.

You are correct that the chances for winter weather are lower during that time but we are already getting hellacious thunderstorms in Florida that are closing down our airports.

You are placing the emphasis on weather in the wrong location.

BlueHerons

DAH if I had all the answers I wouldn't have started this thread.

My DD is in Jacksonville and has been having fabulous weather.... go figure.

Thanks for the weather update.

The reality is even if we left the day before and had air/equipment delays no guarantee we would make a flight out the next day or the next or the next. Lately when I've flown anywhere the planes are PACKED no extra seats. There will be three of us flying.

I do APPRECIATE all the great advice. Irene

BlueHerons

DAH if I had all the answers I wouldn't have started this thread.

Wow. You know, you don't have to be rude. :( You did ask advice, didn't like what you heard, and you reacted.

I think it's way too close as well. WHY would you even attempt this? It's beyond me.

Just changed our flights to leave the day before. Called SWA and even had some money refunded. Oh wait now we need a hotel.... there goes the refund plus...

We just needed a kick of reality. We rarely take such chances, flying in the day of cruise. We love our cruise vacations, DH loves to get to the ship early, what was he thinking?

Thank You All for such great advice and quick replies... CCers Rock!!!

We just needed a kick of reality.

Irene,

Smart move flying in a day early - I prefer to minimize the chances for something to go wrong and ruin my cruise plans and never fly in the day of departure.

Look at hotels offering cruise parking packages that include the return shuttle from the port, saving you the cab fare fboth ways. :cool: Check out these often suggested hotels located in the Rocky Point area: Holiday Inn, Tahitian Inn, Hampton Inn and Chase Suites.

Good luck! :)

OP,

TIA is pretty quick and easy. When you get off the plane, make a bee-line for the Tram that will take you over to airside. When you get off of the tram, go straight to the escalators marked baggage claim- they will be straight ahead. Once downstairs, get your luggage and exit out of the doors marked transportation and Taxi. The flat rate taxi fare from TIA to the port is $25. The port is a quick 15 minute drive. I would also have your cruise line's ph# handy as well.

I fly into TIA several time per year and normally use SW. SW. has a good on-time record. There have been many times that I have been off the plane, grabbed my luggage and was walking out of the airport within 20 minutes of arrival. The trick is to be quick about getting off the plane. It would be worth while to get the SW Early-Bird Check-in. It's an extra $10 pp each way but worth it. This will most likely put you in boarding group A. You would then have a better chance of grabbing seats close to the front of the plane. First on -- First off. Everything at TIA is well marked so it will be pretty easy to know where you are going.

Good luck to you and have a great cruise.

:):)

HI express Rocky Point has a good cruise package. Includes transportation to and from the ship along and airport transfers and breakfast.

Overlooks the water so helps get you in the vacay mode early. Bahama Breeze next door has great outdoor seating and very good drinks and food. Just make sure you go early because the place gets packed early on.

Smart move to go in the day before. I often take chances on the way home but never on the way to a cruise. We flew home after the Star (loved it) to Albany on the 10h25 AM flight. People said we were nuts to have such an early flight but we got there over an hour before. Love Southwest just wish they would fly to Burlington or Plattsburgh.

HI express Rocky Point has a good cruise package. Includes transportation to and from the ship along and airport transfers and breakfast.

Overlooks the water so helps get you in the vacay mode early. Bahama Breeze next door has great outdoor seating and very good drinks and food. Just make sure you go early because the place gets packed early on.

Smart move to go in the day before. I often take chances on the way home but never on the way to a cruise. We flew home after the Star (loved it) to Albany on the 10h25 AM flight. People said we were nuts to have such an early flight but we got there over an hour before. Love Southwest just wish they would fly to Burlington or Plattsburgh.

I'd second this. HI Rocky Point is a good value. Around $110/night, I think. Not world class concierge hotel, but good enough for the pre cruise night and worth the peace of mind.

YAY!!!

Also check out LMT.....i got a really good deal at the Intercontinental. I think it was about 80 bucks a night. They have a shuttle to/from the airport and are near a big mall, several places to eat and a CVS/Walgreens or some flavor store like those....there are ways, with Last minute travel, to know what hotel you will have as well...check here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24811063&postcount=2

using that method i have always been able to determine what hotel i was getting....just another option. And i agree, TPA is a decent airport to get around

Not sure about cab fare to the pier as i wasn't there for a cruise.....

glad you're coming in a day ahead.....

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the great suggestions.

When we first started to cruise we purchased our air thru the cruiseline and we had some interesting flights and connections. The cruise line would only schedule flights to come in on the day of the cruise, unless you were traveling transcontinental then you could arrive at the port city the day before. (Didn't matter if you were from the FROZEN NE in winter.)

We have been making our own air arrangements for quite a while, thus it seemed OK to arrive day of cruise. We are optomists with a great respect for reality, therefore I started this thread. We are also loyal SWA customers, and have had great on-time flights.

In the end we are all breathing a sigh of relief by coming into Tampa the day before our cruise.

LMT is new to me. I certainly will check the site out for a hotel.

This site is so helpful for all kinds of info. I encourage anyone thinking about cruising to check cruise critic first.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and post my experiences.

With much gratitude Irene

Archived