Best way to visit Positano from Capri?

ann1bell

We are in port at Capri and are interested in seeing Positano. Is this doable independently? Is it convenient to see Ravanna (sp?) as well? We will have already visited Amalfi so do not need to go there.

We are not against going on a tour or with a cabbie but do not know what the options are.

Thanks for your ideas!

It looks like you are on the Azamara Quest cruise. You actually port in Amalfi for two days prior to Capri, and in Sorrento for a full day afterwards. It would make a great deal more sense to plan a visit to Positano from one of these ports rather than from Capri, in my opinion.

(And I assume you mean Ravello, not Ravenna, which is not anywhere close by!)

Hmmm - please don't take this the wrong way..... but perhaps you would do much better in your planning if you were to get a good map of Italy (especially this area)

Here is a link to Rick Steves page about this area.......with a map :)

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/italy/naples-sorrento-amalfi-coast.htm

Positano is closer to Amalfi, while Pompei is closer to Sorrento. If you have port days at each it would make the most sense to see them when closer.

From Sorrento it is easy to get to Pompei on your own using the Circumvesuviana train.

From Amalfi you can get to Ravello by cab or bus (it's only four miles).

It's also only twelve miles from Amalfi to Positano.

Capri is a beautiful island, so I would stay there. The whole coastal area of Amalfi is also beautiful but quite similar. We took a tour from Naples, with a driver, who took us on a long drive along very busy roads and there is also a train, but I would not try to do too much but just enjoy a couple of places and relax. Please also bear in mind that the area is akin to a mountainous area, so there are lots of steep hills and the scenery is very dramatic.

We were planning to go with Az to Pompeii which they are doing from Amalfi. Guess that is where I have gotten confused. Perhaps I should forget that and go on my own with a map! Maybe Az needs one too. I will keep looking!

We were planning to go with Az to Pompeii which they are doing from Amalfi. Guess that is where I have gotten confused. Perhaps I should forget that and go on my own with a map! Maybe Az needs one too. I will keep looking!

Amalfi is to the best of my knowledge a peninsula and a very beautiful one. Most of the places to which you refer, are places along the coastline. Positano's properties are dotted all around the hillside and in peak periods the traffic can be horrendous - not like the USA with it's wide freeways.

I think Azamara does indeed need a map :D

And don't feel bad about getting confused..... without being familiar or having a map of the area - it is easy to do.

If you clicked on the link I gave you there will be tons of info about the area.

It is perhaps the most beautiful place I have been.... so far ;)

We will be in Amalfi also for a day and quite frankly don't want to spend 500 euros for a private guide to see area but we have ruled out car rental and public transportation. Does anyone know if it is possible to hire a taxi and the pier to spend the day with us and drive us through Positano, Amalfi and Ravello and if so what is a ballpark idea of cost.

We will be in Amalfi also for a day and quite frankly don't want to spend 500 euros for a private guide to see area but we have ruled out car rental and public transportation. Does anyone know if it is possible to hire a taxi and the pier to spend the day with us and drive us through Positano, Amalfi and Ravello and if so what is a ballpark idea of cost.

A lot more than a private driver !!! Especially if he doesn't get you back to the ship .......And you are taking a big chance that you could possibly not get back to the ship. The private tour companies know that if they do not get passengers back to the ship each and every time that they will no longer have a business...... where a taxi driver could care less. We have used the same company 2 times while in this area.....and both times there was a circumstance where the driver had to "adjust" our schedule and/or route due to traffic the first visit and a fire on the Amalfi drive our second visit. He used his cell phone to stay in contact with the office and they let him know what was going on ahead of us...... last trip (last Nov) we actually had to turn back and go the long way back to the ship as they closed the road due to a brush fire.

They have discounted all their tours..... 1-4 people for the whole day is 340 euros...... I can HIGHLY recommend them and others have reviewed them favorably also......can't recommend unless you ask tho :D

We are in port at Capri and are interested in seeing Positano. Is this doable independently? Is it convenient to see! Is it convenient to see Ravanna (sp?) as well? We will have already visited Amalfi so do not need to go there.

We have stayed in Sorrento on holiday a couple of occasions.

On our second visit, we made our way to the Railway Station where there is also a bus terminus.

There we purchased a cheap bus pass for the day from the bus driver.

We caught a bus for Amalfi but got off above Positano, walked down and then back up again to catch the bus again and on to Amalfi where the bus terminated.

From memory, we had a choice of two stops above Positano and in hindsight the second stop may have been more convenient.

From Amalfi, we caught another bus up to Ravello with our day ticket. That is if it is Ravello you wish to visit (Ravanna?)

After returning down on a bus later, we changed and caught another bus from Amalfi through to Sorrento.

Archived