Seasickness medicine for kids

Cruzin' Daddy

I've taken my kids on that exact same ship and they had a blast! The Camp Carnival counselors on the ship at that time were great (this was when it was out of Mobile)... At the time my kids were 8 and 5 and we gave them the chewable Bonine. It's over the counter and never gave them any side effects... Not to sure what the minimum age is on it though, might be too much for your little one...

Hope you all have a great cruise!

-Josh

is there a reason you think your kids would/could get seasick? you may not want to put thoughts in their heads.

If they tend to get carsick, they could tend to get seasick.

But, please, do NOT rely on advice from a bunch of anonymous message board posters!

Ask your pediatrician!!!!

Good advice above and exactly what I was thinking. If your kids already show a problem with motion sickness, go to their doctor and get a prescription!

If not and you are just trying to "be prepared" then the benedryl will only make them go to sleep and won't help the "uneasy tummy" feeling. Chances are your 1 yo will not be bothered at all. For the older two, bring on a bag of ginger snaps and let them have two or three at breakfast and before going to dinner. Also, bring a few bottles of gingerale. It really does tend to help stop "mild" nausea before it can get them feeling too bad!

Good luck and happy cruising!

My dd is on many meds due to a medical condition. Our pediatrician said the best one over-all is chewable Bonine. It works, with no side effects, and no drug interaction. Talk to your Dr. - especially about the 1 year old.

Thanks! I have checked with our pediatrician in the past and they suggested children's Bonine. Problem is, I can never find it in the stores. This will be the third cruise for my oldest child, the second for my middle child and first for my youngest. Never had any problems before, I wanted to bring something along just in case. I was looking for other options besides the Bonine...in case I can't find it again!

Go to your health food store and get some natural ginger tablets or Ginger candy this seemed to help my daughter as well as I got her a sea band bracelet that we modified to fit her wrist.

Ditto! My friend Jaimie doubted me. I had given her some Ginger People chews. When her kids started to feel sick, they would ask for the spicy candy because it worked. My son wouldn't try it until he got sick and missed a whole day in the kids club. He's been a convert since.

I suck on ginger altoids, nibble on natural ginger cookies, chew on ginger chews the whole time.

Thanks! I have checked with our pediatrician in the past and they suggested children's Bonine. Problem is' date=' I can never find it in the stores. This will be the third cruise for my oldest child, the second for my middle child and first for my youngest. Never had any problems before, I wanted to bring something along just in case. I was looking for other options besides the Bonine...in case I can't find it again![/quote']

My daughter has never been sick but like you I bring something just in case - better to be prepared.

I did a quick search and here is the link to childrens bonine on Amazon - pretty good price too!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013NE374/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=8627610037&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5234102941835237165&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_1nhfn1bjmm_e

Have a wonderful time.

Tam

If they tend to get carsick, they could tend to get seasick.

But, please, do NOT rely on advice from a bunch of anonymous message board posters!

Ask your pediatrician!!!!

The above is the only advice that deserves any consideration in this thread.

I would absolutely check with your DR. We lived on an island for about 3 years. On our very 1st of very many 3 hour journeys my DH looked up at me with the saddest eyes and asked if she was going to be sick every time she went on the boat. She was 5 then. Our other 2 never got sick. Better to be prepared.

Sea bands are made in a child's size, it's drug-free and can be used over and over. My daughter used them on our last cruise and they worked. Any child can feel better when their parent says "this will make you feel better." LOL, even when the child is 19, she used the adult size.

I have a funny story about ginger ale. We were staying at a resort when one of my kids late at night had a stomach ache. I went to the bar [the only place open late at night] and the bar tender gave me a glass of ginger ale. It cured the stomach ache. Next day, I tried to order another ginger ale, they don't carry it, the bartender had mixed Coke and Seven-up to look like ginger ale. The power of suggestion sure worked!!

I also asked my ped and she recommended the chewable Bonine for him. I also brought some ginger snap cookies and a few small cans of Ginger Ale for him.

He was fine. And we sailed out of NY along with Hurricane Irene.

AHH good to know about the leaving out of NY!! We leave on the Miracle out of NY in 23 more days ! My girls have cruisedwith little of the (funky feeling) before but its good to know any natural remedy that can help!

The above is the only advice that deserves any consideration in this thread.

Like I said before, I am basically looking for ideas on alternate remedies for seasickness. Our Pedi recommended children's bonine, but we can never find it here. If there are other natural methods out there, I would like to know about them. I would then, in turn, conduct on my own research into whether or not it is safe/good for my kids. I am not one to turn to an internet board for a definitive medical answer.

I would def ask my pediatrician.....on my sons very first cruise many years ago, he told his dad "I think I'm feeling seasick".....my husband, thinking he heard other kids talking about it, said "that's impossible, kids don't get seasick"... My son looked at him and said "OH!" ok! Never been a problem since lol....yes, I know kids can get seasick but we really didn't think this was the case with him...I have heard that green apples help and that may be something your 1year old can eat in small pieces?

Archived