Looking for some help from you cruise experts!

Hello! My family is traveling on the Enchantment of the Seas on March 31st out of Baltimore. We are celebrating my husband's 50th birthday, our son's 7th birthday, my fourth year free of breast cancer, and everything else that is wonderful about life! I am just in need of any special advice to make this a great trip. I have no idea what to do at the Ports, except I am thinking of doing Disney in Florida since we will be so close, no idea about the other ones. Any, any suggestion would be really, really appreciated. Thanks!!

Hello! My family is traveling on the Enchantment of the Seas on March 31st out of Baltimore. We are celebrating my husband's 50th birthday, our son's 7th birthday, my fourth year free of breast cancer, and everything else that is wonderful about life! I am just in need of any special advice to make this a great trip. I have no idea what to do at the Ports, except I am thinking of doing Disney in Florida since we will be so close, no idea about the other ones. Any, any suggestion would be really, really appreciated. Thanks!!

Well congratulations on your 4 yrs! Sounds like you have lots to celebrate. What ports are you stopping in? Also have you found your roll call thread?

Congratulations on all those milestones! What a fun way to celebrate.

I'm no expert, but here are a couple of things I do on CC before a cruise!

1- read as many reviews under "member reviews" (and by going to " advanced search" under the " search" tab and entering review or live review) for Enchantment as you can. You will begin to get an idea of things that sound like fun to you and your family. Make notes so you can plan to do those things too!

2-Visit the port boards for your ports, read reviews of excursions and even other people's questions. You will learn a lot about fun things to do in each port. And you may learn that Cape Canaveral is a good hour+ from Orlando, plus such a short day to take in much of WDW. My family loved the Kennedy Space Center, which is thisclose to the port and offers a fun day of a few thrill ride type activities and lots of space explorations!

Hope you and your family have a great time!

We will also be on the Enchantment departing 3/31. You will have a great time. We are doing the Kennedy Space Center instead of Disney (and I have two kids) because it's spring break and we want to relax on this cruise. Disney is going to be a zoo that week. Definitely join our roll call and introduce yourself and your family to everyone.

Congrats on everything and enjoy your cruise! See you at the pool :)

I hope you're planning to do Disney either a few days prior or after the cruise...not as a port stop excursion...there's simply not enough time for that. Disneyworld takes days! It can take an hour from the time you pass through the 1st entrance until you're actually IN the park!

As far as your ports, you should get a guidebook...libraries have them, if you don't want to buy one...and find out what each place offers! Then, you can decide WHAT you want to do based on what interests you. Then, head to the "Port of Call" boards and see how others have managed similar interests. Most times, it's easy and much cheaper to do things on your own, than through a ship's excursion, or even, a private vendor.

Whatever you decide to do, it's a vacation! You'll have a blast!

I'm not on the Enchantment until 5/17 but I was in Central Florida at Christmas. One of the new options at Kennedy Space Center is something like an "all access tour" where you get to go inside the Vehicle Assembly Building, open for the first time since the space shuttle started. Kennedy Space Center is much closer than Disney and my Great Niece and Nephew (5 and 8) really loved it.

Roy

We will also be on the Enchantment departing 3/31. You will have a great time. We are doing the Kennedy Space Center instead of Disney (and I have two kids) because it's spring break and we want to relax on this cruise. Disney is going to be a zoo that week. Definitely join our roll call and introduce yourself and your family to everyone.

Congrats on everything and enjoy your cruise! See you at the pool :)

I heartily agree. You will lose a lot of time traveling to Disney and the place will be PACKED. Spring break is THE most busy time of the year at Disney. Disney is better done as a stand-alone trip. The space center is fun and educational. I know it's a disappointment, but I really think you will be rushed and will leave more frustrated than excited. If you want to figure out a separate trip to disney, check out the disboards. It's like cruise critic for disney. The folks on there are super nice and very knowledgeable about all the intricacies (and there are lot of them) of a Disney vacation.

I looked up your cruise and the other ports are Nassau and Coco Cay. Coco Cay is RCI's private island and you will have a beach day. Nassau has some possibilites such as a day pass at Atlantis. It's been years since I was in Nassau, so I defer to others on this thread who have more current info. Have fun! and congratulations to all in your family!

Call Royal and tell them what all you are celebrating. They will acknowledge it one night at dinner if they have it on file you are celebrating a birthday/anniversary/etc...

Uhh, not true - sadly from experience, we know this is not the case. Have had our celebrations marked on our reservation and nothing was mentioned onboard.

OP, congratulations on everything. You can purchase a cake through the website if you want, but at the very least tell your waiter and head waiter about your celebrations and you can get a dessert with a candle in it. Whole cakes used to be free but now they cost money, just so you know.

I also would not do Disney as a port excursion. Just not enough time. We spent 4 days at Disney after our December Freedom of the Seas cruise, and even that was a rushed exhausting trip. My son called it the Epcot death march. :D

I hope you're planning to do Disney either a few days prior or after the cruise...not as a port stop excursion...there's simply not enough time for that. Disneyworld takes days! It can take an hour from the time you pass through the 1st entrance until you're actually IN the park!

As far as your ports, you should get a guidebook...libraries have them, if you don't want to buy one...and find out what each place offers! Then, you can decide WHAT you want to do based on what interests you. Then, head to the "Port of Call" boards and see how others have managed similar interests. Most times, it's easy and much cheaper to do things on your own, than through a ship's excursion, or even, a private vendor.

Whatever you decide to do, it's a vacation! You'll have a blast!

CB- I am pretty sure Encahntment is RT from Baltimore; so pre or post WDW wouldnt work either;). I think they just have the one day in Port Canaveral, (does anyone know how long the ship is there?) which you know is a good hour + from Orlando. I'm with you, CB, I just can't see where WDW would be practical at all!

The only exception is... if I was from another country or really didnt anticipate ever getting back to FL. Then I would do Magic Kingdom as a quintessential USA "experience" before I headed back to wherever I was from! Just like I might do Rome from a MED cruise for one day. It's not practical; but it might be unlikely I'll be back soon too, and I wouldnt want to miss Rome!

thanks for all of your information. I didn't realize Disney would be such a hard thing to make happen. We are so excited for the cruise that I think I should just tell them now that we aren't doing Disney so we can focus on the cruise. I will check out those other boards as well. WE are so excited. Thanks again.

My family and I did a cruise from Baltimore and it had 1st stop in Canaveral, we did a trip to Universal Studios. We hired a shuttle van to drive us to Universal and back, it was well worth the time. Your ship gets in at 10am and does not leave until 10pm

You all have so much to celebrate and be happy for, enjoy your time.:)

OP, have a great time and congratulations! Hope you have a great time. Don't really have anything to add...I read a ton of the reviews before each ship, as well as the threads in these forums of course. We'll be on Enchantment July 12.

Not from the cruise ship, but while on a short stay, we went to Universal and made the then new Wizarding World of Harry Potter our primary goal to explore first. Even tho not from the cruise ship, I mention it so that you know like the poster above suggested it is very doable as a day trip. (is that a word??). We also did a private shuttle over to the park at 10am and had the shuttle come back for us at 5pm. Have fun!!!

If you're in Nassau, one of the lesser known but worthwhile visits are the Astrada Gardens. They're a beautiful landscape of botanical gardens that also house a zoo. Flamingos walk around and are trained to march in formation. It's not enough for hours and hours (certainly not with a little one) but is an entertaining diversion for an hour or two that can easily be fit in before going to Atlantis or the beach. It's within healthy walking distance of the port but probably too far with your kid both ways so I'd look into taking a taxi or the island's public bus (about a dollar per passenger).

one more question--do you think it is worth getting some sea sickness patches ahead of time for all of us? And do kids normally do better than adults? I'm not a big car sick kind of person, but would hate to do anything that might spoil the trip (like throwing up!!) Thanks.

one more question--do you think it is worth getting some sea sickness patches ahead of time for all of us? And do kids normally do better than adults? I'm not a big car sick kind of person, but would hate to do anything that might spoil the trip (like throwing up!!) Thanks.

The problem with the patch is it treats you all the time, and on this type of cruise you are often only cruising at night, and most often in pretty clam waters. Also, some folks have had side effects from the patch afterwards (like you need to be weaned off or you feel seasick for weeks once back on land) My SIL uses them extensively and is always exhausted throughout her whole trip. And that will only be amplified with children!

Because you start with a couple of days at sea on the Atlantic, you might feel it, so I usually start with a little ginger gum (in same aisle as dramamine) and drinking ginger ale. After a day most newbies get used to it and are fine. I've found I almost never feel queasy now that I have cruised so much, even on pretty rough seas.

You could be prepared with some chewable less drowsy dramamine. If a rough day is predicted, you can take it ahead of time, but the chewables will work pretty quickly at the first touch of queasiness, if the ginger gum or gingerale isn't' helping. Surprisingly, studies show that having a little protein in your belly helps too, so an egg, nuts, or grab some PB off the buffet.

I know it's hard not to fret about feeling sea sick, but being prepared and relaxing a bit about it will help too! But treating your whole system might just add to your difficulties.

I realize you are already booked, but I wanted to recommend a very special cabin. It's a Jr. Suite, 7666. It's the corner at the aft and has a HUGE balcony with both shade and sun, along with a tub in the bathroom and a giant walk-in closet. Its twin cabin is on the other corner, but I can't remember the cabin number for it. We've stayed in both, and if they go on sale, and it's in your budget, I highly recommend that you take one of them! Have a great cruise, and congratulations on all the wonderful celebrations for your family.:D

Even though you don't have a Chop's Steak House on the ship, I think you can still get the Chop's Fillet in the MDR for an additional $14.95. So, you might want to treat yourself one or two nights with this. It is really good. Also, Adventure Ocean is open on port days. I think parents can leave the kids there while they go on shore -- no extra charge. I have read the Adventure Ocean staff will even take the kids to lunch. Others can comment on this. So, you and hubby could go ashore to have a drink and do some shopping by yourselves if you want. (Or even go back to the cabin. ;))

Even though you don't have a Chop's Steak House on the ship, I think you can still get the Chop's Fillet in the MDR for an additional $14.95. So, you might want to treat yourself one or two nights with this. It is really good. Also, Adventure Ocean is open on port days. I think parents can leave the kids there while they go on shore -- no extra charge. I have read the Adventure Ocean staff will even take the kids to lunch. Others can comment on this. So, you and hubby could go ashore to have a drink and do some shopping by yourselves if you want. (Or even go back to the cabin. ;))

Did I miss something here? How did we get from Enchantment to another ship. Enchantment most certainly DOES have Chops, Deck 6 Port aft, opposite the Schooner bar.

Roy

Archived