What is your favorite moment of a cruise?

My DH and I were talking about our upcoming Allure cruise yesterday -- we're 60 days out -- and he said something I'm sure he would include in this thread if he were a CC member. It won't be as funny to you guys since you obviously don't know him, but just know that he's usually very calm and reserved and doesn't get openly excited about ANYTHING. We were talking logistics -- what we still need to book, etc -- and suddenly he just sighed great big and said, "I just can't wait to BE there! I just want to be up on the pool deck, with the sun beating down, in the 90-degree heat, with a fruity drink in my hand, with the music playing, just relaxing." So I'm officially submitting that as my DH's favorite cruise moment. :cool:

I have a lot; but here are my top 10 Moments:

1. That rush I get when DH and I pull out of the driveway headed to port:we are officially on vacation from that moment!! No work for a week!!!

2. The first sighting of the ship...it never gets old!

3. When they take your picture for the first time right before boarding.

4. Like many others, walking up the gangway, stepping onto the ship, and handing them 'MY card, then hearing the ping.

5. The first walk around the ship, taking in the sights. I usually say "wow" A few hundred times ;)

6. Getting in our room, checking it out, and walking out on the balcony (or looking out the window when we have a window instead).

7. Sail Away!!!

8. Later: Pulling into the first port of call, stepping out onto the balcony and snapping pics of the awesome view.

9. Breakfast on the balcony the first morning.

10. Reading the first Cruise Compass in our stateroom...I love the thrill I get seeing what all is happening and gonna happen that we can be a part of!

I think I should add a third to my original post...one which I know sounds odd.

When my mother was alive, my parents would call me when they got to their vacation destination (I'd usually be at work) and tell me about their room/weather/meal, etc.

So, once we get in our cabin, I do the same. Granted it will be a little different this cruise...my dad will still get the call, but since he doesn't get envious, it won't have the same impact.

There was another thread basically exactly like this a week or two ago... but I never get tired of it! Someone said it was like a tranquilizer to read about these favorite moments, but for me it's the opposite: my heart is racing, I'm bouncing around in my chair, I'm ready to GO! Only 60 more days! :D

P.S. I agree with everyone else: getting my SeaPass card, walking up the ramp, stepping onto the ship, hearing the "ding", then sailaway, etc -- I guess my favorite "moment" is the entire boarding process!

:D That was this same thread. I said it..... :D

:D That was this same thread. I said it..... :D

Oh, sorry, I meant that a) there was a separate thread about this a few weeks ago, and also b) someone said earlier in *this* thread that it was like a tranquilizer. I wasn't very clear in the way I worded that. But there was a different thread about this fairly recently. :)

Going right to top deck, finding the bar, cracking my first beer, then watching as the ship unties, and away we go.

We are off!

I think that is DH's favorite too. He orders the bucket of beers to share. The last time we cruised, him and his buddies called them adult snow cones because they were packed down with shaved ice all around the bottles!

I would have to say it has to be the first sight of the ship along with the feel of her pulling away from the dock.

Actually can't believe this is page 5 and we have not had any mention of Honey Stung Chicken yet! :rolleyes:

:D that's a good one!

I forgot, I love lying down at night with the window open (shhh, I didn't say that :rolleyes:) and letting the ship gently rock me to sleep. Luckily, this happens seven times a cruise.

DW says meeting our tablemates for the first time. We've made some great friends around the dinner table.

I'm going to go with the "Voyage to Adventure" song! Which is closely paired with "Until We Meet Again"; that one always brings a tear to my eye.:o

We love the moment when you first inhale that "cruise smell". It's the same smell on all the RCI ships (not so much the Celebrity ones). We take a big sniff as we exit the boarding ramp and go, "Ahhhh, it's a cruise". We board with a dreamy smile on our faces.

What's your moment?

But stepping on the ship, opening the door to our stateroom, dinner in the MDR the first night, etc, etc, etc....K.O. near Philly.....:) Also love seeing any of the crew we know and have become friends with over the years..Oh and running into people we have met from previous cruises.

All of these answers are correct. I do have a favorite though as alot of people have stated. That first sound of the "ding" and then taking our first step on board. I don't care how many cruises I take, this will always feel like our first time on board to me!!!!

All of these answers are correct. I do have a favorite though as alot of people have stated. That first sound of the "ding" and then taking our first step on board. I don't care how many cruises I take, this will always feel like our first time on board to me!!!!
Of course the "Ding" your officially onboard!:)

My favorite moment is when we make the FINAL PAYMENT. That's when the cruise becomes official.

My second favorite moment is when we walk into the good ol' Schooner Lounge and meet up with all our cruising pals.

PS: Thanks to the OP for starting this thread!

What's your moment?

Since I've only been on one (because dinner cruises on Lake Michigan don't count), I've got one that really sticks out in my mind. I'll have to report again in 2 weeks since my family and I are setting sail on Monday. :D

For me the moment isn't a *BOOM* all at once. It builds. Seeing the ship, heart starts to pitter-pat. Actually walking on to the ship from the gangway, I got all butterflies-in-the-tummy. Seeing our cabins was another notch up on the moment-building, and finally collapsing into bed with a huge smile on my face that first night after tucking my littlest one in I think was when the favourite moment finally hit.

I also loved the waking up in the morning just as the sun was almost ready to rise and gazing at the abundance of stars. The feeling of waking up onboard was just phenomenal--best sleep EVER!

We love the moment when you first inhale that "cruise smell". It's the same smell on all the RCI ships (not so much the Celebrity ones). We take a big sniff as we exit the boarding ramp and go, "Ahhhh, it's a cruise". We board with a dreamy smile on our faces.

What's your moment?

My favorite moment? All of them...........

Hopefully, they have you going up the gangway to enjoy your cruise, and not off the gangplank :eek:

Picking Nits, but I must admit -- Touche' ... :) Where the hell did my proper English go when I made that post ???

Michael

Hope you know I was just kidding you, not criticizing!:) If you go looking for your proper English, will you bring mine back?...its been gone a long while!;)

Archived