St Marks Basilica Ques??

account4fun

Lots of places prohibit photography. It is to protect the works of art as well as eliminating the flashes that detract from the atmosphere. Some cynics might also say that it increases sales at the gift shop.

As to luggage, I would be safe and not carry a big bag althoough it may be allowed.

You can reserve tickets on-line for St. Mark's Basilica. When you do this you don't have to stand in line, which was tremendous when we were there. You go up to the person at the front and give them your reservation ticket and in you go. We visited Doge's Palace, an old jail, very interesting. There a several tours both can be gotten on-line to avoid lines. Some of our group were lucky enough to get the tour behind the scenes and they were very impressed. Those tickets get sold out in advance. This was a big time saver for us and so easy. Check out their web sites.

I had a small backpack and had to check it. My husband had to check his camera and bad. The good thing is you are given a ticket to go to the front of the line, at least that is what happened to us.

They made you check your camera?? That's the first time I heard that....I'm not sure I would be comfortable giving a stranger my $$$ DSLR....

They were turning away people with large handbags when we went. they did not offer any place to store it and did not give you a ticket to go back on line. One person in our party offered to miss the Basilica and sat with our purses and backpacks. So.... I would go with only a fanny pack in the future. It was very distressing to go all the way to Venice and not be able to go it!

We did not stand in line. We went directly to the place where you store your bag (I think it was around the corner and second street on left). They gave us a ticket for the bag and a ticket that allowed us to go to the front of the line. DW has a small camera so it just stayed in her pocket. This was last May.

We really enjoyed it.

As others mentioned due to security or other reasons you'll find many places require you to check in bags of any kind, YMMV of course.

As to photography, many reeasons some justified some not, but not much you can do do photography ban.

It is the case where you'll find many places that ban photo and video but see many still with their phone out and perhaps a real camera snapping away, again at your own risk. In places like Sistine Chapel it was a joke and risk for taking pictures not so much, in Russia or China I'd not push the boundaries of rules.

When it says you can't bring in luggage does that literally mean luggage or any bag/purse? Also why would photography be forbidden?

Every time that I have been in St. Mark's Basilica there were quite a few people taking photos (both with camera & phone). I have never seen the camera ban enforced here (keep camera in your pocket or otherwise hidden and you should be fine...meaning you won't need to check it). Small purses are fine...backpacks will need to be checked.

For Doge's Palace, the Secret Itinerary Tour is, IMHO, great (you'll get to see the cell where Casanova was incarcerated)...you can buy tickets online at:

http://palazzoducale.visitmuve.it/en/il-museo/percorsi-e-collezioni/itinerari-segreti/

Basilica online tickets at:

http://www.venetoinside.com/en/saint_mark_s_basilica/

jill

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I am now trying to find a small bag that will go unnoticed but one that will still hold a DSLR with a small lense.....might be tricky.

I'm just trying to plan for days that we have a few please to visit where I want my nice camera for certain shots but I don't want to run back and forth to our hotel/ship.

Archived